Drz s to sm or new bike

I have 12xxx miles on my drz400 and was wondering if its time that stuff starts breaking or not cause i have the s model and kinda want supermoto rims. Should i invest in rims or a new bike. 

From my experience, how a bike is maintained is more important than the total mileage. If your bike is in good condition then there is no reason to suspect that things will begin to fail. Wheels and tires (also consider a BBK) will run you over $1,000. Have you maintained your bike where you'd feel comfortable making that type of investment in it?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gary in NJ said:

From my experience, how a bike is maintained is more important than the total mileage. If your bike is in good condition then there is no reason to suspect that things will begin to fail. Wheels and tires (also consider a BBK) will run you over $1,000. Have you maintained your bike where you'd feel comfortable making that type of investment in it?

Oil change every 1000 miles. Had a noise but i figure out it was the skid plate...

Just now, Drewbwislock said:

Oil change every 1000 miles. Had a noise but i figure out it was the skid plate...

It has a new stator 

A new bike is going to cost you more than the $1000-$1500 it will cost to convert to SM. Plus you will still have your S rims so you will have two bikes in one. If your bike is in good shape and has been maintained, I would go with the rims. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

• Similar Content

• By smokey9lives
      Hi,
      I have a 2003 DRZ (actually a KLX400) and the head tube bearings are shot.  I ordered a new set to install but I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations on other parts I should replace while I have the front disassembled.  I was thinking about new rubber fork protectors, but are there other things that wear out on the DRZ front ends that you can only get to when disassambled?
      I also broke off a replacement key that I got for the steering lock.  I must have been made of cheap pot-metal.  Should I just remove the whole lock mechanism?
      Any tips or tricks for getting the old bearings out and the new ones in would be welcome!
      Thanks!
    • By antonyp
      Hey Guys,
      I recently bought a 2003 DRZ400S and thought it would be a good idea to check the valves clearance etc . I timed the engine on TDC with the magneto mark aligned as per the manual but I find the cam timing slightly odd. The arrows pointing upward are on the 1st and 15th pin as they should but with the magneto timing mark aligned they are not perfectly straight. Same goes for the arrows that should be parallel to the cylinder head casing. Is this normal or should they be absolutely perfect ?

• By 4strokeOnly
      My bike was stolen, so I'm liquidating my spare parts. 
      I took this off my S and replaced it with an SM unit so my speed would be more accurate with the street wheel setup.  I no longer need this spare.  I greased it regularly and it was in good working order when I removed it.  Included is only what is pictured.  Cable not included.
      Suzuki part number:  54600-29F00
      buyer pays shipping.
    • By 4strokeOnly
      My bike was stolen so I'm liquidating my spare parts.  A few years back, I installed an OEM "E" Header on my bike.  This was sitting on the shelf when my bike was stolen.  As is clearly seen in the pictures, there's a think layer of rust over the whole pipe, but beyond that, it's in good shape.  No dents, dings, or bends.  A quick shot with a sand blaster or wire wheel and some high temp paint will have this looking like new.  
      This is the header only.  No hardward included.  I do have the old "S" clamp though, so I'll throw that in.
      $10 + shipping
      Thx for looking.