BBR Perimeter CRF150F 175

I have a question for any other perimeter frame owners out there. I think mine is an early model and uses an xr200 airboot crudely grafted onto an cr85 air box. I found a pdf on BBR's website with instructions on this type of installation. 

However, their product picture for the perimeter frame kit shows just a hose/boot and what looks like a coupler. Is this a later version that uses the  hose/boot coupled to a stock cr85 airboot?  What do you guys have?  Thanks!

IMG_4436.JPG

IMG_4437.JPG

IMG_4654.PNG

IMG_4655.PNG

One more question for any perimeter frame owners. Has anyone sourced a replacement brake pedal? 

This one has been crashed and bent back a few times. The bearing hole has oblonged so much that the previous owner used a drywall screw to hold it in place. ?

IMG_4387.JPG

IMG_4388.JPG

IMG_4433.JPG

IMG_4434.JPG

IMG_4435.JPG

I have had trouble in the beginning with constantly loose engine mounts.
But it did not cause the extensive issues like yours. I suspect that the team that owned the bike before me must have stayed on top of them constantly, but they used grade 5 non flanged us course thread bolts, nuts and washers for all engine mounts.
I converted to all 10mm metric flange bolts and Nuts that were designed by Honda to be engine mount hardware.
No more issues.

My air box boot is exactly like yours and the filter element is a bitch to change....I hate the set up!

My brake lever pivot bearing was seized from pressure washing I suspect but it cleaned up well enough to re use. Mine did not not have the extensive wear that yours did thankfully [emoji28]

• Like 1

These frames suffer with broken engine mounts because the mounts are often too far apart. The rigid bosses don't flex like flat steel tabs so they crack or break instead. Also watch the bottom rear because its easy for the supplied spacer to slip out, then the bolt breaks off the mount. Mine was this way when I got it and BBR wanted $200 to repair and heat treat again. I Tig Welded it myself.

When installing the engine, carefully check and shim all gaps between engine and mounts to avoid stressing the mounts. Then the bolts will never loosen.

I didn't notice the airboot was custom but mine did have the white coupler. I ditched the whole airbox to save weight and ran a rubber extension hose to a UNI pod filter under the seat with splash shield. I fitted a KTM85 rear brake and pedal to mine with a lot of fabrication and relocated pegs. I still have the BBR pedal I could sell but not sure if I modified it?? Its at my other home and I won't be back for two months. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, woodsryder said:

...When installing the engine, carefully check and shim all gaps between engine and mounts to avoid stressing the mounts. Then the bolts will never loosen.

...I fitted a KTM85 rear brake and pedal to mine with a lot of fabrication and relocated pegs. I still have the BBR pedal I could sell but not sure if I modified it?? Its at my other home and I won't be back for two months. 

Thanks woodsryder, let me know if you find the pedal!  When disassembling the bike most of the bolts did seem tight.  So I suspect that shimming will be needed. 

3 hours ago, adnohguy said:

...I converted to all 10mm metric flange bolts and Nuts that were designed by Honda to

My air box boot is exactly like yours and the filter element is a bitch to change....I hate the set up!

Mine is a mix of standard and metric! I'll definitely replace the standard and get new locking nuts on the Honda hardware.

I picked up a spare 85 air box on eBay. I'll see if I can mate it to just the hose portion of the xr200 boot.

6 hours ago, VortecCPI said:

I love that tamper-proof screw on the exhaust heat shield!

Can I get the removal tool from Harbor Freight? ?

12 hours ago, runnerng said:

One more question for any perimeter frame owners. Has anyone sourced a replacement brake pedal? 

This one has been crashed and bent back a few times. The bearing hole has oblonged so much that the previous owner used a drywall screw to hold it in place. ?

IMG_4387.JPG

IMG_4388.JPG

IMG_4433.JPG

IMG_4434.JPG

IMG_4435.JPG

Call BBR and see if they have any. 

Others can chime in but a typical weight is 195 lbs. with the 16-19 wheels. I put mine on a strict diet and laced up full size wheels to make it the same size as an XR200. At one point I had it down to 183 lbs but its gone through a lot of changes. I should be at 185 now with all fluids except gas. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, woodsryder said:

...laced up full size wheels to make it the same size as an XR200. 

I know a 21" front will fit on 85/150r forks but how did you do the rear? With an 85rb swing arm and 18" or 19" rim? What are the specs - thanks!

On my BBR I grafted two swingarms together for a 1 3/4 stretch. I made the joint at a 45 degree angle for more weld area and added a doubler plate on the bottom which is in tension. I also moved the pegs back and down, and moved the seat back. Here's the original forum thread but the pics are missing because photobucket screwed me over. 

Edited by woodsryder
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, woodsryder said:

On my BBR I grafted two swingarms together for a 1 3/4 stretch. I made the joint at a 45 degree angle for more weld area and added a doubler plate on the bottom which is in tension. I also moved the pegs back and down, and moved the seat back. Here's the original forum thread but the pics are missing because photobucket screwed me over.

You're not the only one they screwed over. Every forum and forum-goer in the world is F'd because photobucket decided to charge people $400/yr to link to images stored on their site. Totally f'd up and I hope they either go out of business or back off of this maneuver. Anyone who's searched this forum or others for images has surely noticed what's happened. totally lame.

It's cumbersome but you can see the images if you're on a computer.  You have to right-click on a page then select "View page source".  From there you can find a direct link to the image.  Sometimes it'll take a while to load though.  Thanks Photobucket ?

middle.gif

• Like 1