Help, Cracked Crank Case!

I have been a complete idiot and over tighten my oil drain bolt and cracked the crank case behind! I had no idea I did it and unfortunately rode it with no oil, the bike cut out so I started again not realising and it made a horrible rattling sound, I turned it off immediately, without having any idea, do you think the damage is already done internally now? I put some new oil on and drained it, there were 3 tiny little metal filings at the bottom :/ Please help!

to be fair the case will need replacing so while cases split can check internals hope this helps 

Chances are you did some internal damage. When I bought my.bike that same inner case was broken but it wasn't run that way.. you have to tear down the whole emgine to replace it... That case half is in he $250s if memory serves.. plus gaskets, and honestly at this point your engine has a good chance of needing a bottom end if it was rattling real bad. If you're lucky those fragments are from the broken case and not something more important.. 

If you have a factory service manual it has the tolerance specs to check the crank and rod for play. Check the valves etc Good luck man I'm hoping you didn't trash it!

Chances are you did some internal damage. When I bought my.bike that same inner case was broken but it wasn't run that way.. you have to tear down the whole emgine to replace it... That case half is in he $250s if memory serves.. plus gaskets, and honestly at this point your engine has a good chance of needing a bottom end if it was rattling real bad. If you're lucky those fragments are from the broken case and not something more important.. 
If you have a factory service manual it has the tolerance specs to check the crank and rod for play. Check the valves etc Good luck man I'm hoping you didn't trash it!

Cheers mate, I'm not great with 4 strokes so I'll take it to my local motorbike mechanic. The rattle is really bad, there's no way it hasn't ruined something. I'm Gutted, I'm in The UK and parts over here are so expensive that case alone is around £450
9 minutes ago, DanBradley said:

Cheers mate, I'm not great with 4 strokes so I'll take it to my local motorbike mechanic. The rattle is really bad, there's no way it hasn't ruined something. I'm Gutted, I'm in The UK and parts over here are so expensive that case alone is around £450 emoji1304.png

Ouch! That is a hell of a lot. I wild shop around online once you find the part # that seems excessively high

Ouch! That is a hell of a lot. I wild shop around online once you find the part # that seems excessively high

You wouldn't believe mate. I needed a front brake bracket when I first got the bike, the bracket alone cost £100. I've look on eBay for a second hand one but they're all in the states, shipping would bring it up to the same price as it would to buy here

Why are parts so expensive? VAT?

Sent from my SM-G935V using ThumperTalk mobile app

Why are parts so expensive? VAT?

Sent from my SM-G935V using ThumperTalk mobile app

Yeah the vat, and because over here there isn't as many after market parts so you've always gotta buy genuine parts. They seem to have gone up a bit since the uk left the eu as well

Well, when you run them out of oil, the cylinder gets damaged. Expensive. Worse yet, the cams get eaten alive, the buckets go with, and the cam tower usually gets destroyed too because the buckets are steel and the tower is just cast aluminum. Not to mention the rocker arm too. Now depending on how long it ran with no oil, You may be in a situation where parting out whats still good and starting over with a new/another bike is only thing you can do if money is an issue.

Not always - ran an old xr500 with no oil - heard it start to seize up - threw more oil in it and had no issues with it 

Not always - ran an old xr500 with no oil - heard it start to seize up - threw more oil in it and had no issues with it 

I put new oil in and started it, it was still rattling very loud. Turned it off straight away. I think I'm going to break the bike for parts and use money for a deposit on a new bike