Bought a beat up 2000 yz250, gear oil yellow?

BTW, I'm new to two strokes, haven't had one since I was a kid and dad did all the work. Ok, so I've searched and not found what I'm looking for so figured I'd ask here. Recently picked up a 2000 yz250 that supposedly has a 295 or 300 big bore kit. It ran strong so I didn't fret too much over the little things. Paid $1500 and took it home. Drained  the gear oil and it looked a bit odd to me. I refilled with Rotella, ran it for about 15 or so minutes out back. Drained and it looked the same. 😏 Could this be water getting into the oil? Read somewhere that it should look like this but seems odd. Any help would be appreciated!

IMG_0483.JPG

IMG_0482.JPG

IMG_0513.PNG

Ya that looks like water in the oil , most likely water pump seals or head gasket . Is your bike loosing coolant ?

 

Sent from my Moto G (4) using ThumperTalk mobile app

 

 

 

 

Bike looks nice . I remember when they came with slicky seat covers.  Amazing what a gripper seat Will do :ride: possible waterpump seal leaking could mean engine has some time on it. Looks clean tho :thumbsup:nicer than mine lol

Bike is not loosing coolant. Took it out with my buddy today and learned what not to do with this beast.

IMG_0518.JPG

IMG_0519.JPG

Be careful against  the tail light on the truck too I just busted out one of mine leaning like that 

2 minutes ago, NewPingDing said:

Bike is not loosing coolant. Took it out with my buddy today and learned what not to do with this beast.

IMG_0518.JPG

IMG_0519.JPG

Dam lol 

Nice one lol. The good news is that after 5 years of owning one, I still crash it regularly.

Sent from my SM-G935V using ThumperTalk mobile app

18 minutes ago, HeavyRotation said:

Nice one lol. The good news is that after 5 years of owning one, I still crash it regularly.

Sent from my SM-G935V using ThumperTalk mobile app
 

Hey if you're not crashing you're not pushing to go faster :thumbsup: what I was told anyway when use to crash my brains out lol

Edited by Motox367

Hey pingding, , you definitely have a coolant leak. We in the business call that liquid "chocolate milk". Coolant and oil blended together.
Here's my suggestion.
Borrow, rent or buy yourself a Coolant System pressure testing kit. These pressurize your system with the intention of finding a leaky hose, radiator or seal somewhere in the system through pressure loose.
Now as Greenwrench mentioned, likely to be a pump seal/ head or base gasket leaking into the transmission. So, , you have a little investigation work on your hands.
Good luck with your project and keep us advised. G, in Vegas.

2 hours ago, PaydayGabe said:

Hey pingding, , you definitely have a coolant leak. We in the business call that liquid "chocolate milk". Coolant and oil blended together.
Here's my suggestion.
Borrow, rent or buy yourself a Coolant System pressure testing kit. These pressurize your system with the intention of finding a leaky hose, radiator or seal somewhere in the system through pressure loose.
Now as Greenwrench mentioned, likely to be a pump seal/ head or base gasket leaking into the transmission. So, , you have a little investigation work on your hands.
Good luck with your project and keep us advised. G, in Vegas.

Thanks for the info. Since it's an older bike that I bought used should I just go ahead and do the water pump seals? Any recommendations on brand or where to get a kit?

Also need new bars now, what size do I need to get? Bar bend type? So many options and I have no clue. Since I didn't get a lot of seat time with the ones that broke today, I have no idea if I like them or not. The bar pad says Renthal, but how can you tell?

Edited by NewPingDing

Look like 7/8th bars to me

Just now, Greenwrench said:

Look like 7/8th bars to me

Is that the diameter measurement? Guess I need to go measure. Thanks

Yes that's diameter that would be a stock sized bar you can put whatever bend you like I tend to run cr high bend on most things but that's totally a preference thing

Sent from my Moto G (4) using ThumperTalk mobile app

Doesn't it have to be the water pump or the oval case o-ring.

How would coolant get from the cylinder into the transmission?

If the water pump isn't leaking make sure the weep hole on the bottom of it hasn't been filled with jb weld or something.

Doesn't it have to be the water pump or the oval case o-ring.
How would coolant get from the cylinder into the transmission?
If the water pump isn't leaking make sure the weep hole on the bottom of it hasn't been filled with jb weld or something.

Bottom of water pump or engine case?

Bottom of water pump.

Bottom of water pump.

Thank you. I will check it out in the morning. Appreciate the help.

That bike was never raced. And if it was it wasn't a real race. Nice find buddy! I'm jealous I look for original yz's like that in that exact year. Only found a few in as good of shape as yours. Your lucky to find it.

Sent from my VS880 using ThumperTalk mobile app

Put some new (used) bars, new grips and a new front tire/tube on last night. IMG_0556.JPG

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now