Unable to adjust valves

Hi everyone,

I have a new-to-me 2005 CRF230F. This forum has helped me several times in the last couple months, but I created an account this time as I was unable to find an answer to this question:

I removed the timing hole cap and crankshaft hole cap. The problem I'm having is as I approach the T timing mark by rotating the crankshaft counterclockwise, it spins right past it. I go by the F mark and then about 1/2 or 3/4 of a inch before the line to the left of the T would be lined up, it spins right past. I tried using a screw driver with the socket on the end instead of a ratchet so that I could try to hold it on the T. I am able to do that, but as soon as I release pressure, it spins past.

Any help would be appreciated.

I put Vise Grips on a socket extension to hold it in position. Like your screw driver but with more leverage.

Edited by RedMesa

49 minutes ago, RedMesa said:

I put Vise Grips on a socket extension to hold it in position. Like your screw driver but with more leverage.

Thanks for the tip.

So its expected that the motor will not rest at TDC?

Make sure you are at TDC on the compression stroke, you can tell since both valves will be closed and there should be slack in the rockers. I just adjusted my valves and I had no trouble keeping it at TDC, but if not on the compression stroke it will not stay since tension from the valve spring will make it roll. Hope that helps.

I have the same problem every time I try to line it up at TDC but I just go very slowly and after enough tries all the way around I get it.  It will stay at TDC I found as long as I eased up to the mark very slowly but the vice grip idea is a good one, I'll have to try that next time.

I don't even bother with the timing mark, just remove spark plug and use a piece of wire to feel TDC.  

• Like 1

It's the magnets in the flywheel that are causing your problem.
If you absolutely cannot figure it out or make it work for you then take the flywheel cover off and it will not do that anymore.
I use a deep, "Six point" socket, a breaker bar and bungee cord the breaker bar to the foot peg to hold the flywheel where I want it.