Dangerous sport, need to warm up

Since I'm laid up, I may be long winded, I've got nothing else I can do. I'm not into speed, nor big air. I always wanted to think I play it safe. At 51, I don't want to get hurt, again, but here I am, again. Broken back, or more specific, L1 vertebrae. You can tell what style of riding the owner prefers by the bike he chose. Mine a KTM Freeride, 2017, 250r. I love obstacles. I built a playground out back of my house. I have 5 dirt piles, ranging from small to garage size. Lots of logs from small to 36+ inches tall. Rock beds, 10+ skidder tires. Several that are huge, 7 fters. Stacked logs, log matrixs, Standing tires, a car, ATV mudpit, small jumps, and much more. I built this for fun, but mostly to learn techniques in controlled environments rather than get hurt in the field. So, i had almost perfected these obstacles, getting smoother and smoother. I had stated here at Thumpertalk recently that once I get tired that I usually quit log hops because my timing suffers.... and big logs require timing to glance the front off on it's way up. However, I found out yesterday that timing needs to warm up as well. I realized the hard way the I need to warm up. I was not able the ride the battle of the goats race due to a preplanned vacation. I wanted to  badly because, as mentioned, I don't care much for speed. So the goat race would be perfect because it was basically who could go the fartherest on the extreme terrain. My kind of fun. Not to race... just to do it. So this weekend, I decided I would go to Brushy and see if I could retrace some of the lines. I knew where the bad hill was that was a parking lot during the BOTG videos. I figured I would play there my entire time, if nothing else was found. I arrived late, having had to much to do Saturday morning. LOL, I'm sure several riders from yesterday may recall seeing me. I unloaded the bike. My bike takes forever to warm up because I have it tuned rich as a sort of detune of the hit. I went straight to the logs, circled twice scoping it out. Spoke to some guys and then went for my first log. Bike not warm yet, me not loose, timing and feel not practiced. My very first log, the single next to the standing skidders, about 18 inches high, I mistimed my front hitting 3/4 way up, then went over the bars. I had  been unloaded for less than 3 minutes. The instant I hit, I knew I was hurt. Pride caused me to act as though I was not hurt, jump back on the bike and blow it off...... but I was hurt. I hung out as if to watch others  a few minutes and then eased off, straight to the truck where I could hardly get out of my gear. I loaded by myself. A bike in the back of a lifted truck is tough when your not hurting. I was hurting. Enduro took on a new meaning. Enduring the pain as I drove home almost 2 hour trip. 6 hours later, I finally get morphine. What a relief. Dang. Another injury. I love logs, but I now know the importance of warming up. I was not warmed up, nor was my bike. Over confident. Why do I always have to learn the hard way

Damn, Brother! Heal fast. Sorry this happened.

Sorey to hear that, heal well !!

Really sorry you're hurt, I hope you're back in the saddle soon.

In your downtime look up log technique on the web, the Trials sites are best, and contrary to popular belief a Trials bike is still just a motorcycle.

When you mention glancing your front wheel off the log it suggests to me that your understanding of log technique may have room for improvement.

Instead of glancing, I would use the words, impacting, or compressing. It may seem like a minor semantic difference but minor differences in technique can make the difference sometimes.

Best wishes.

29 minutes ago, motovita said:

Really sorry you're hurt, I hope you're back in the saddle soon.

In your downtime look up log technique on the web, the Trials sites are best, and contrary to popular belief a Trials bike is still just a motorcycle.

When you mention glancing your front wheel off the log it suggests to me that your understanding of log technique may have room for improvement.

Instead of glancing, I would use the words, impacting, or compressing. It may seem like a minor semantic difference but minor differences in technique can make the difference sometimes.

Best wishes.

I may have improper technique? I will explain how I usually do it. I began pulling the front up as I approach, on it's way up, I glace the front at the 3/4 mark. When I do it right, the front goes up, the momentum takes me to the top, where I sort of hold pressure, until the rear comes off, landing both tires at the same time. Smoothly. But with this way, timing is so critical so I assume I may be doing it wrong. In my crash case, I missed the 3/4 mark, tire just clearing the log where the rear only hit. 18 inch with too much speed, no way to salvage that. I see trials riders whom look as though they bounce at the 3/4 mark, front tire not climbing but rather falling. 

Was this on Saturday? I recall seeing a Freeride, then the bike was back in the truck very soon?

Do you wear any boy armor? I compressed my ninth and eleventh vertebrae when 21 (55 now) and they'r easy to reinjure, so I wear a Fox Titan upper body armor rig. And an Atlas neck brace. I'll go over some pretty big logs and rocks but steer away from the big extreme endurocross at Brushy as it seems like too great a chance of getting hurt. Yeah, I know, pu**y.

Heal fast!

Wow dude, , sorry to hear about your mishap. I feel your pain. I'm recovering from the dreaded "C" word and I fear the same thing every time I ride. I'm 58, and lost almost 60lbs during this ordeal. Call me the stick figure man.
Was out yesterday and put the bike down, super slow motion drop. Thankfully no injuries, but I could hardly lift that girl upright . It sucks to laid up. Definitely a lot of time to kill. Luckily you only have a broken bone. Heal well my brother. G, in Vegas.

Well that sucks. Heal fast.

I'm so beat up that I am done with being challenged anymore. I just ride to enjoy the day and do not do anything anymore that can result in a fall. Four knee surgeries will make a man think. There are days when I hit every apex and can do no wrong. Then there are days when I should never of gotten out of bed. The trick is to know when those days are happening. I'm still learning, Hopefully you will too.

Feel better.

Good point. My trails are fairly close and if I'm not feeling it (very rare) I'll stop after one loop. 

19 minutes ago, SkiDaddy said:

Was this on Saturday? I recall seeing a Freeride, then the bike was back in the truck very soon?

Do you wear any boy armor? I compressed my ninth and eleventh vertebrae when 21 (55 now) and they'r easy to reinjure, so I wear a Fox Titan upper body armor rig. And an Atlas neck brace. I'll go over some pretty big logs and rocks but steer away from the big extreme endurocross at Brushy as it seems like too great a chance of getting hurt. Yeah, I know, pu**y.

Heal fast!

That would be me. I have the same body armor but was not wearing it. I had planned to spend my time on the BOTG hill just right of their most popular hill. I am usually in control then, seldom in trouble so I did not wear it. Wish I had. Not sure it would have eliminated the problem. I wish I had landed flat on my back. I landed butt first, back broke under the force

I climb like a turtle, in first gear. momentum is your friend, but I figure if I learn to climb first, then I can add speed later. My Freeride is a goat. it makes climbing easy. However, I had planned to spend my time on the one hill, practicing weaving, going over rock heads instead of around. Purposely stopping, zig zag, hill starts, different gears, etc. I wanted to practice changing direction with the front light. I especially like hill starts. LOL, I even planned to see which is more efficient , getting off and pushing through a hard spot or staying on the bike. I  never get off and push. I usually can get it going again, however i may waste time this way, so that was the test. I had big plans, fun plans. I should have bypassed the logs, got warmed up, and came back later

I know what you mean.  We were practicing on the Rocks & Logs Endurocross track yesterday and very early on, I very nearly had a potentially BIG crash.  Screwed up, lost my balance and went off the side of the biggest obstacle on the track.  Managed to stay on the bike as we both crashed into the trees & wood pile at the bottom of the hill.  Pulling the bike out, I noticed a couple of sharpened sticks protruding upwards, ready to impale me, had I come off the bike. :(

As someone else asked above, not sure if your log punch technique is fully developed yet.  You should be looking to punch the front tire approx 3/4 the way up the log.  Skimming off the top of the log is not the right technique.  Punch technique will allow you to do much bigger logs.

That sucks hopefully you recover quickly!  This reminds me why I go slow as well.  I have a bad back and had minor surgery a couple summers ago because of a herniated disc.  I also have 3 more discs slightly bulging so maybe I'm playing with fire...  It's not the type of pain I would wish on anybody.  Good luck and heal up!

3 hours ago, William1 said:

I'm so beat up that I am done with being challenged anymore. I just ride to enjoy the day and do not do anything anymore that can result in a fall. Four knee surgeries will make a man think. There are days when I hit every apex and can do no wrong. Then there are days when I should never of gotten out of bed. The trick is to know when those days are happening. I'm still learning, Hopefully you will too.

Feel better.

Yep, there are those days when you can hit everything with ease, and those that seems like your whole body is retarded.  I had one of those good days this week, went out, traction was great with the rain and the bike felt like a part of me.  I ventured into an area that is nothing but rocks, logs,  trees and deep narrow cuts, I spent probably a half hour just playing around in there and felt good.  I like those days.

Hope your recovery is swift.  If you keep yourself in good shape you will heal quickly, my ortho doc said I have the bones of a 10 year old, good genes and healthy lifestyle.

Feel better.

Yah, knee surgeries, Ive had 4 at 40, my riding buddy is 49, just has his 11th. He's given up woods and rides sand only now. Them knees don't last forever.

Sent from my SM-G935V using ThumperTalk mobile app

23 minutes ago, HeavyRotation said:

Yah, knee surgeries, Ive had 4 at 40, my riding buddy is 49, just has his 11th. He's given up woods and rides sand only now. Them knees don't last forever.

Sent from my SM-G935V using ThumperTalk mobile app

Take care of those knees and they will last. At 62 I'm on my original uncut knees. I've been a runner for 45 years, but never do pavement. 

8 hours ago, 1gr8bldr said:

I may have improper technique? I will explain how I usually do it. I began pulling the front up as I approach, on it's way up, I glace the front at the 3/4 mark. When I do it right, the front goes up, the momentum takes me to the top, where I sort of hold pressure, until the rear comes off, landing both tires at the same time. Smoothly. But with this way, timing is so critical so I assume I may be doing it wrong. In my crash case, I missed the 3/4 mark, tire just clearing the log where the rear only hit. 18 inch with too much speed, no way to salvage that. I see trials riders whom look as though they bounce at the 3/4 mark, front tire not climbing but rather falling. 

Studying Trials videos is a good way to learn simply because they go slowly so it's easier to see the technique, but all motorcycles work the same way.

You want to compress your forks into the log by letting off the throttle or slipping the clutch as the front wheel makes contact. Your weight, through the footpegs, will compress the rear suspension at the same time. The rebounding of the suspension will help lift the bike over the log.

You can practice the technique on any size log, even small ones that you could just ride over. That will make log hopping an automatic action, all the time, for you.

I'm sorry to hear that; time is the worse part of healing. 

Most of us already know that when you throw a leg over that seat, things can happen even with everything being right.

I have done as you too in playing off an injury. 

Then on the drive home you realize it's not good.

Get well soon! At my age (49) I actually need to warm up my eyes. Takes about 10 minutes of rough, bouncy trail for my vision to get good.

Awwww man Marty, I really hate to hear this! Dang that sounds painful. I've ridden with you before and I know you're a great rider, but just goes to show weird stuff can happen to any of us. I really hope you have a full recovery and can heal up soon and get back at it