Rear shock loose?

Hey guys, got what I believe to be a problem on my XR. Just noticed that I can move the entire shock left and right while it is still bolted in. It isn't just the spring moving it's the entire shock. I have it out now and I am looking at the bearings (upper and lower) but can not seem to find anything out of the ordinary. Any help on this would be great

The upper bearing is of the spherical type. Having side to side play when mounted in the frame is not a concern. Just be sure there is no up and down play at the upper bearing, as that is NOT normal.

The upper bearing is of the spherical type. Having side to side play when mounted in the frame is not a concern. Just be sure there is no up and down play at the upper bearing, as that is NOT normal.

I can not move the shock up and down in the frame but I can move the bearing up-and-down with my finger while the shock is out but it's very slight...still worth replacing?

Even if it was bad enough to replace, you'd have a heck of a time locating one. You'd have to buy an eBay shock and rob it of its bearing. That bearing is not known for going bad. I bet anyone of us could check our bearing by hand, out of the bike and it would have the same slight play. I think I'd let it go.

The bearing is not available but the dust seals are, so you could replace those.

Afternoon XR400ex, , while your down there/in that area it would be a no brainer to check all the linkage pivot bearings an the infamous swing arm bolt. They need regular service/ lubrication also. Just a thought. G.

So I decided to let the play in the upper bearing go but I replaced the bottom bearing in the swing arm linkage end. That one had much more noticeable movement and since I had the part on hand it worked out well. And yes, G, I did go through the other bearings and grease them as needed. I figure I will eventually be rebuilding the rest of the rear pivot points next season so I wasn't too worried about it but just so I can get a little more use out of them. Thanks for the info