Is spooge just part of the game?

Im not super savy in the 2 stroke world and am curious about this.  My 17' 250RR does spooge.  On the warmer days it usually ends up with a line about half way down the silencer. To me the bike runs great and i have no complaints with its power and how it produces it.  I generally run at sea level to about 1000ft or so.  The jetting is completely stock.  Only other mod is the FMF shorty silencer with the spark arrester.  Oil injected using the MOTUL 710.  Just curious what you guys think.  

• Like 2

Yes normal. Warmer days cause richer jetting. If you jet to totally eliminate unburnt oil you are walking a very fine line. To stay safe you'd have to re-jet ever time the temperature and pressure changed. 2 strokes run the best when they are on the verge of being too rich anyway. Spooge, while unsightly, is easily cleaned up with WD-40 or degreaser if not allowed to build up. The silencer packing will eventually become saturated too, causing it to ooze out. "Shorties" have less packing and saturate faster.

Sent from my XT1650 using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 2

Spark arrestor traps spooge. Don't worry about it, or ditch the S/A. The long can FMF Stealths would spooge at lean levels. I have a cut down (-3 ") stock silencer, and with the specs I posted, with 36:1 mix, hardly any drool.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, GP said:

Spark arrestor traps spooge. Don't worry about it, or ditch the S/A. The long can FMF Stealths would spooge at lean levels. I have a cut down (-3 ") stock silencer, and with the specs I posted, with 36:1 mix, hardly any drool.

Here in the PNW they will check you for a sparky at almost every ORV park.  Otherwise i would have just left the stock can on.  

Not if you're on the gas :ride:= no spooge at all, just gray powder if race feul,  blackish on pump gas. Every 125-250 I ever had ran super M then 927 was like that. Honestly havnt fouled a plug on a twostoke since was a young kids on junker 80. Just saying.  But ya different twostroke oil maybe . 

Edited by Motox367
  • Like 1

Not if you're on the gas :ride:= no spooge at all, just gray powder if race feul,  blackish on pump gas. Every 125-250 I ever had ran super M then 927 was like that. Honestly havnt fouled a plug on a twostoke since was a young kids on junker 80. Just saying.  But ya different twostroke oil maybe . 

Mainly slow tech single track riding in the PNW. Lots of lugging and obstacles. Not much fast open ripping where we go.
  • Like 3

I have a 1989 Yamaha YZ250WRW. I do a lot of slower single track and technical stuff myself. My tail pipe doesn't leak, but I do have oil that drips out of the grommet where the exhaust meets the silencer. I run Golden Spectro and I mix it at 50:1 (53:1 according to the bottle). My bike also seems to run great and I'm also happy with the amount of power and the delivery.

Now I also have had some smaller KTM's. A 2008 50cc, a 2015 50cc, and now a 2014 65cc. All three bikes had the oil coming out of the tail pipe just like you described, but all the bikes ran great.

Sent from my BlackBerry Priv using the Thumper Talk mobile app

20 minutes ago, Animatrix86 said:

I have a 1989 Yamaha YZ250WRW. I do a lot of slower single track and technical stuff myself. My tail pipe doesn't leak, but I do have oil that drips out of the grommet where the exhaust meets the silencer. I run Golden Spectro and I mix it at 50:1 (53:1 according to the bottle). My bike also seems to run great and I'm also happy with the amount of power and the delivery.

Now I also have had some smaller KTM's. A 2008 50cc, a 2015 50cc, and now a 2014 65cc. All three bikes had the oil coming out of the tail pipe just like you described, but all the bikes ran great.

Put a couple zip ties in the grooves on the rubber boot and cinch them tight and that'll stop the spooge.

• Like 1

Put a couple zip ties in the grooves on the rubber boot and cinch them tight and that'll stop the spooge.

Hoping I can get a zip tie gun on it. I've since purchased a brand new rubber piece with the new springs and all. It was good for a few rides, but now it's leaking again. Maybe a hose clamp? Maybe a sealant of some type? Just hoping I don't accidentally clog my damn exhaust if I go the sealant route. Haven't done anything yet, these are just the ideas I'm kicking around.

On 8/7/2017 at 0:35 PM, Danceswithtrees said:

I did this and it fixed my spooge problem down low.  I was also using the motul 800 and switched to the 710.  The 710 spooged way less than the 800.  I used to get a lot of spooge drooling down the end of the pipe, and now I just get a little that collects.

Edited by cachunko
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, cachunko said:

I was also using the motul 800 and switched to the 710.  The 710 spooged way less than the 800.  I used to get a lot of spooge drooling down the end of the pipe, and now I just get a little that collects.

+1 

Motul 710 has MUCH LOWER flashpoint than the 800, which is designed for "racing" ie. on the pipe (hotter combustion) most of the time.  710 is ideal for trail and aggressive offroad riders, as most of the time we're just off idle or short spurts of WOT.  Don't jet for spooge, but do expect less spooge with a lower flashpoint oil (like 710) if primarily trail riding.

On 8/7/2017 at 11:42 PM, Black-swan said:

I used to get a lot of spooge with my 17 RR. I have removed the oil injection and am running at 50:1, no more spooge. I think the bike was over oiling. Been running just fine like this for 40 hours.

Interesting... my best riding buddy has a '17 300RR w oil injection and his bike spooges A LOT more than my '17 300 Race w/o oil injection.  We thought it would be opposite.  He's running Motul 710 in the oil tank, just like I am in my gas (50:1).  Back at the truck his pipe has a black snot line nearly all the way down and mine has a thin ring of spooge just around the silencer opening.  Stock jetting in both bikes.  Obviously, same atmospheric conditions.  I don't get it. 

Edited by mtnmanseth
  • Like 3