Fork / Axle Lug Removal

Took the plunge removing the Lugs from my project, KX250 2 stroke 2005, KYB 48mm AOS forks tonight. Legs are pitted to hell, I rescued the bike from a not so caring owner and need to get them re chromed. 

Not as hard as I had expected, heard so many horror stories so thought I'd let you guys know what worked for me....

1st Problem, Lug grub screw removal. These are purposely butchered when assembled to stop the removal of the lug, I've read plenty of crazy ways of removal like drilling the material around the screw etc. I found it came out easily with an EZ out (funnily enough) broken stud remover. At first the EZ out thread wouldn't quite catch because the grub screw hole wasn't deep enough, took a small drill and removed a bit of material, probably less than another 2mm, and the EZ out thread caught nicely and removed the screw easily.

2nd problem, removal of the leg/stanchion. There's a 6mm hole in the top of the leg, trying to find something strong enough and less than 6mm in diameter to turn the leg was near impossible. I made a crude tool to remove the leg with the use of a large socket and a screwdriver. First find a large socket that is close to the internal diameter of the fork leg, drill a 6mm hole through it (to make sure it was center I drilled a pilot hole from inside of socket to out in opposing recesses of the socket, then from outside in with the 6mm bit). Place the socket into fork leg and slide the screwdriver through the aligned holes (tip, attach extension to socket first so you have something to hold and align with). Place the lug in a vice, attach socket driver or bar, and after a little heat on the fork lug it turned off with out having to apply a crazy amount of force (I managed to get plenty of heat with a heat gun, no need for a torch).

Hope this is of use to anyone needs to do a repair requiring the removal of fork lugs, or removal of legs for DLC coating etc. 

Cheers, 

Sam

20170806_211323.jpg

20170806_213656.jpg

• Like 6

Who makes replacement fork "Lugs" ?  What else are these called?  They always come as part of the "Inner Tube" which Honda calls it.

I've seen a couple of threads where an aftermarket lug was used to lower the axle location and raise the front of the bike but didn't figure out who made the nice billet parts.

I have a damaged "Lug" on some CRF150R forks and I am looking at all of my options to repair or replace it.

eBay for a used complete lower leg ,almost no one makes it sells lugs on there own

winning by 4:1 lol

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

• Similar Content

• By smokey9lives
      Hi,
      I have a 2003 DRZ (actually a KLX400) and the head tube bearings are shot.  I ordered a new set to install but I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations on other parts I should replace while I have the front disassembled.  I was thinking about new rubber fork protectors, but are there other things that wear out on the DRZ front ends that you can only get to when disassambled?
      I also broke off a replacement key that I got for the steering lock.  I must have been made of cheap pot-metal.  Should I just remove the whole lock mechanism?
      Any tips or tricks for getting the old bearings out and the new ones in would be welcome!
      Thanks!
    • By FeliX 450
      I recently bought the bike and after first trip noticed there was a leak at the top, that seems to have went away(still leaks a little but thanks to you guys I now know that it is normal).
      Now onto the new issue, after the first ride I noticed there was a little bit of the leak on the forks and after the second ride it there was more oil and today I noticed there is small puddle under them. When I bought the bike the guy told me that he had just serviced them before summer so I did not give it much thought. But after the leak I contacted him and he said he did new seals, bushings and oil. So not a full rebuild but more of a service. He said to give it another ride to see maybe if it stops. Guy responded right away and in person was very upfront so I do not think he is lying, maybe just put it together wrong? I have never dealt with Suspension components so I am not to keen on opening them up. Below are some pics, so I hope some of you guys who had similar issue/know about these forks will be able to point me in the right direction.

• By hrchins
      Hey Thumpers,
      I am swapping forks and need to know what triple clamps / tripple trees will also fit the 93-96 KLX650r forks. Through some research it looks like KLX300 and pre 09 KLX250 clamps will also fit. But given the ambiguous name of these parts (triple/tripple trees/clamps) doing a search to get good info is difficult. And many of the clamps I am finding for sale are rather expensive so just want to make sure I am getting the right part before pulling the trigger. Thanks for your help!
    • By _Cloudy_
      Hi, I have just bought a kx250f, 2013 with a freshly rebuilt 2016 motor in it, this is my first time on these forums, anyways, I have also bought a lowering link to drop it 4 inches on the arse, I was wondering if anyone knows how much I should drop the forks? 
      I havent put the lowering link on yet. 
      Thanks.  
    • By jbranford
      I was hoping someone could share the stock shim stacks for the forks on a kxf250 2012. The rebound valve nut fell off!