Changing tires without ruining the back rims?

9 hours ago, xr650street said:

These work for me . I use 2 pair on one wheel with bungie balls hooked to the spokes to keep them in place. And way too much soap

mot_14_rim_shi_2-1434920001-2.jpg

Motion Pro RimShield II

Part# 1434920001

Use these also, but a pain in the ass. but they work. They do get messed up after time. 

Sure, it's a dirt bike. Sure there will scuffs.
However, I'd like to do what I can to avoid ruining my glorious black rims as much as I can help it. 
So, what are your tricks and recommendations?

tia,
Ollie

The trick is the run the tire levers around the whole rim so there is uniform wear to the back. It's way less noticeable that way

I have one of the baja tools.  I know the design was ripped off from some forum guy somewhere, but when I went to buy the original, it couldn't be had except to order from Europe.  I had the baja tool off Amazon in 2 days.  Now, with all that behind us, the tool works great, and it doesn't pry against the rim so no damage to the rim.  The 20mm shaft that it comes with fits my Husky, my Super Tenere and my son's WR.  Given the strain and frustration putting tires on with basic tires tools, and saving a 60 mile round trip +$60 to have heavy sidewall Mitas E07 Dakar's mounted on my SuperTenere - this thing has already paid for itself.   I wouldn't have even tried the Mitas tires with spoons.

Edited by markbfe501
  • Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 6:57 AM, jsned250 said:

I might try one of these. 

I have one of these if I can find it that you can have. I had two and both are worthless. Sloppy drive, clumsy and slow.  Went back to spoons but the thin style and works much better. Tire changer is about the safest way to not scratch the rims just don't expect to use it with TuBliss system.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/4503/19196/Tusk-15"-Curved-Tire-Iron

https://rabaconda.com/us/product/3-minute-tire-changer/

Mine works great, much faster and easier for me than standard tools, and it doesn't mar the rim.

When I do change tires in the woods, putting them on is a pain, but I found that if you have tools that have a ledged end on them (at least 2), it helps a lot when you get toward the end of the 2nd bead.  I carry two sets of the Motion Pro / Stockton aluminum tire tools.  The one with the small wrench end is the ones I use for spooning the tire back on.  Works great with the TuBliss as it barely lips the rim at all.

Prior to the baja, in the shop, I used the larger Motion Pro's with the curved/ledged end.

One day I may buy the TMT4 Lite.  Wish they had a distributor here in the US.

http://tiremountingtool.com/tmt4-lite/

BTW, seems like Estonia is the odd tool capital of the world.  Only place I found Loc-tite 2701 also!

78129984000.jpg

s-l225.jpg

Edited by markbfe501
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, weantright said:

I have one of these if I can find it that you can have. I had two and both are worthless. Sloppy drive, clumsy and slow.  Went back to spoons but the thin style and works much better. Tire changer is about the safest way to not scratch the rims just don't expect to use it with TuBliss system.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/4503/19196/Tusk-15"-Curved-Tire-Iron

https://rabaconda.com/us/product/3-minute-tire-changer/

I haven't tried Tubliss yet but i'm interested. Why do you say that this tool won't work with Tubliss?

I was talking about tire machines like Rabaconda. These machine pushes the tire and tube straight off the rim. With TuBliss you would crush the wheel lock partition of TuBliss. Or at least that's what I see and none of these type of machines talk about or supporting TuBliss. When asked I get two answers, don't have access to TuBliss or give it a try.

• Like 1

It's always that last 8" of putting the 2nd bead on that gave me fits with tire irons.  

That's why you preload an extra spoon in that last section, so that you're not trying to shove/squeeze a spoon in between the tire and the lip for that last bit.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Goatse said:

That's why you preload an extra spoon in that last section, so that you're not trying to shove/squeeze a spoon in between the tire and the lip for that last bit.

I don't have any trouble getting the spoon in, I just feel like I'm going to destroy either the bead or the rim when I pry it on.

I don't have any trouble getting the spoon in, I just feel like I'm going to destroy either the bead or the rim when I pry it on.

It should plop over nice and easy. Are you making sure the bead on the opposing side is sitting in the valley of the wheel?

1 hour ago, Goatse said:

It should plop over nice and easy. Are you making sure the bead on the opposing side is sitting in the valley of the wheel?

Yep, inasmuchaspossible!  I'm running TuBliss, which does put some extra material right over the valley.  It was a real pain putting the rear tire on, until I tried it with the Baja tool.