Standing too much?

I searched, but it seems like everybody sits too much and doesn't stand too much! 

I stand like 98% of the time. Basically I only sit for a few corners that I think I might need to sit for. At the end of a race my lower back is on fire.  I also think maybe standing is harder on the arms and hands endurance wise?

Recently watching some some videos of the local fast guys (AA) it seems they sit a lot more than I thought. Am I missing out? I guess the best thing to do is to put it on a timer and see what's faster? Personal preference? Help?

Edited by LukeYZ426F

You need to do what works for you. Don't feel like your not riding properly by sitting sometimes. I sit more than i stand, what i do works for me. At a recent sprint enduro race one of by friends who normally stands 95% of the time sat for a lap. It was his fastest lap of the day. He was shocked that he was faster sitting than standing. Obviously there's times where sitting is not going to work. Don't try to change your style to fast, try sitting where you feel comfortable and can still be in control. Find  what works best for you.

Edited by GreenMT_Rider

if standing is killing your back its because you have poor posture. sitting will cause way more back pain.

Agree with Green MT, and I'm a stander guy. I have buddies that sit mostly and get up and down anything, and buds that can't ride worth crap cause they need to stand more. I sit for 2 main reasons: I'm tired and need to give my legs and arms a rest, or when climbing a long hill and I need to get my ass on the seat for more traction and maybe throw a leg out for counterbalance. While riding knarly stuff (and descending) I do stand 99 percent of the time however.

Works for me.

i 70% sit 30% stand - always have 

i sit 80% stand 20% while out trail riding, if i'm racing it's reversed.    

Edited by DRS

I started out sitting because I sucked and couldn't balance the thing while standing.  Then my back started giving me trouble and I had no choice but to stand.  Then I stood for 95% of the ride, sitting only to rest my legs.  Now I have begun to dial it back a bit and sit where n when I need to.  I still mostly stand but sitting for certain areas is good too.

Standing is over-rated...incorporate more sitting and sitting properly and you'll be a better rider... 

I don't understand how people sit a lot. I can see sitting more than I do, but I think it would tear your back up. Gonna ride somewhere this weekend that will have a killer beat in loop and am gonna work on some stuff. 

9 minutes ago, Monk said:

Standing is over-rated...incorporate more sitting and sitting properly and you'll be a better rider... 

By sitting properly do you mean the times at which you sit or how you sit? Or both? 

5 minutes ago, LukeYZ426F said:

By sitting properly do you mean the times at which you sit or how you sit? Or both? 

When you sit, where you sit, how you sit...

Semics has some good stuff to watch... 

4 minutes ago, Monk said:

When you sit, where you sit, how you sit...

Semics has some good stuff to watch... 

When sitting I'm all over the seat. Front , back ,left , right. Plus I squatt, but 1 or 2 inches above the seat.

I could imagine the type of terrain will dictate how much you can sit. I ride a lot of slow very twisty trails. Even at race speed there is no way i could stand and be as fast. Onec the trails open up and become rough im off the seat.

There is a guy I see around here that stands way too much.  I see this dork on the street frequently on his plated KTM, he is always standing riding around on the street, I've seen him a bunch and never seen him sit.   THAT is standing too much. ;)

I stand up a lot too. I always felt like I stand more than any of the other guys I ride with but that's just what I like to do. You should do what makes you comfortable and happy as well

7 hours ago, Lombardim21 said:

I stand up a lot too. I always felt like I stand more than any of the other guys I ride with but that's just what I like to do. You should do what makes you comfortable and happy as well

I much prefer standing I just hate what it does to my lower back. Sitting sucks too because you jar your insides super bad and compress your spine lol

i think I'm gonna try and kidney belt and see if it helps any. I was reading some guys having luck with them for lower back pain. 

I used to be an 80% sit down rider, but recently made a pair of $8 Steg Pegz. I find I stand about 20% more now, and with MUCH MORE confidence. 

I refused to spend $150 on a voodoo gimmick so I made my own. I'll now never own a bike without them again.

My back hurts regardless if I'm standing or sitting, but I'm 33 and have a bad back anyway. What hurts less is my ass now. Those 2x4 seats are horrible. 

Edited by malignity

Standing will most likely not harm your back as much as sitting does. One of my sitting riding buddies developed an hernia in his lower back. 

I used to be an 80% sit down rider, but recently made a pair of $8 Steg Pegz. I find I stand about 20% more now, and with MUCH MORE confidence. 
I refused to spend $150 on a voodoo gimmick so I made my own. I'll now never own a bike without them again.
My back hurts regardless if I'm standing or sitting, but I'm 33 and have a bad back anyway. What hurts less is my ass now. Those 2x4 seats are horrible. 

Love to see how you made them!
3 hours ago, Sir falls alot said:

Love to see how you made them!

second this

I think a lot of us who grew up riding in the 60s and 70s sit a lot more that you young pups, and we always have. Sitting doesn't hurt your back; sitting at the wrong times hurts your back. I stand when it's important and not a bit less, otherwise I motor around like Kilroy on a chopper.