Standing too much?

I tend to agree. I'm a third generation rider, learning to ride in the 80's, but I rode much older bikes for a long time, such as the DT250. That bike is just meant to sit down on for the most part. Standing can be done, but the entire cockpit is different. 

• Like 2

Here's a pic of my left side "Steg Peg".

Each side is different because the mounting points on each side of the bike aren't symmetrical.

I used 1/8" aluminum in a 2 piece construction, riveted into place. The pucks are made from 2" rubber bumpers on amazon. The back of the aluminum has stick on neoprene foam to prevent scratching. 

Black is brought to you by flexi-dip spray. lol. 

Total cost, $8. If I didn't have the means to make another set, I'd just buy them. 

20170813_105057.jpg

Edited by malignity
  • Like 2

My lower body and core strength are fine. I ride quads just as much as I ride bikes and this (to me) simulates a rear fender. It allows me to really slam my weight into the pegs and rip the bike in the direction I want it to go, or lean into them and power slide easier. That's the one thing I love about riding quads, sliding off the back when I'm riding hard and concentrating on body position and letting the machine do its thing instead of worrying solely about hanging on for dear life makes it more enjoyable for me. 

These allow me to enjoy the ride better and focus less on just holding on. I can also "perch" in the attack position without putting much effort into standing at all. These make me want to stand a ton more and make me feel much more stable standing. Today I went out and did 3-4 miles of first gear standing and creeping right off throttle just for balance training. I was able to hammer it when I needed to over obstacles without worrying about looping, etc. I'm pretty intimidated by my big 450F and this makes it much more controllable. 

• Like 4

1/8 aluminum seems to be holding up just fine for me too so far and I'm a 250lb rider. I'm actually pretty impressed. I think stock stegz is 3/16.

On 8/8/2017 at 6:09 AM, GreenMT_Rider said:
When sitting I'm all over the seat. Front, back ,left , right. Plus I squatt, but 1 or 2 inches above the seat.I could imagine the type of terrain will dictate how much you can sit. I ride a lot of slow very twisty trails. Even at race speed there is no way i could stand and be as fast. Onec the trails open up and become rough im off the seat.

That's a great summary.

I guess that most guys who stand too much do it because they fit into one or more of these categories:

1. Don't get much fun from fast cornering with a lot of bike lean and power.
2. Never or rarely experienced good suspension.
3. Motor isn't very powerful.
4. Their bike cockpit feels bad when you sit. Eg. deep saddle seat or too high bars or too wide between the radiators.

Only my guesses.

Plenty of motocross tracks get rough. Watch MXGP. Even when it gets crazy rough there are corners where they choose to sit or at least lock outside leg onto the bike and weight outside peg with inside foot well forward. Stand up cornering less than 5% I guess. Certainly not because they are lazy.

Edited by numroe
mobile app inserts extra blank lines
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, numroe said:

I guess that most guys who stand too much do it because they fit into one or more of these categories:

1. Don't get much fun from fast cornering with a lot of bike lean and power.
2. Never or rarely experienced good suspension.
3. Motor isn't very powerful.

I think most riders believe if they stand up more they can control the bike better - i have been sitting down most of my riding career and can control the bike and keep up with anyone thats standing up.

I had one dude tell me once that i should stand up more - because i can control the bike better - this is after 25 odd years of dirt - felt like telling him what he could do with that theory.

• Like 1

Geesh, glad I stumbled on to this thread. I'm not a fast rider like the big boys, but always looking for ways to go faster longer and thought I was sitting too much and should start standing more. From the sounds of it I don't need to stand more to get faster, I probably just need to ride more.

• Like 3

On 8/8/2017 at 5:34 AM, Monk said:

Standing is over-rated...incorporate more sitting and sitting properly and you'll be a better rider... 

Well said.

Standing more aint better. Neither should we sit all the time.  Moments for each.

• Like 1

Great thread and good points for standing and sitting.  So how does your balls feel after a ride?  

3 minutes ago, vizcarmb said:

Great thread and good points for standing and sitting.  So how does your balls feel after a ride?  

Grammar check - So, how "do" your balls feel after a ride?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, NEGbrap said:

Grammar check - So, how "do" your balls feel after a ride?

Okie dokie.   But whatever man

Edited by vizcarmb
  • Like 1

I think the risk of damage to gonads when riding through rough corners increases if:

1. We sit at the wrong time.
2. how high the fill cap is on the tank vs the seat middle.
3. The suspension isn't suitable.
4. Riding fast and the bike is setup to require weight well forward for turning.

On the last point, I guess the always-stand guys will argue that they can always get weight forward enough in rough corners. But that's not always possible for me. I don't enjoy a stinkbug easy-turn bike setup, so I often have to position my head and inside leg out front and lift my arse off the seat using my outside leg and touch the seat when I think that'll work. Problem is the energy required. So need to predict the bike reaction to the ground or else revert to standing on both pegs and ride slower using less throttle.

Edited by numroe

Problem here is we having guys talking mx and guys talking off road racing. Much different things. A lot of the stuff I ride you CAN'T sit even when corning. You need to be sitting/standing to suit the terrain. Simple as that.

• Like 4

If I can get away with it safely, I will sit. I sit to load the suspension to hop up the front tire or if I stop on a hill for extra traction. If I am tired from riding all day I will tend to sit. But at any moment I will stand if the rear end gets bucky. To me it feels like a lot more work to keep sitting and standing rather than to just stand the whole time. 

• Like 1

On 8/15/2017 at 2:50 AM, LukeYZ426F said:

I much prefer standing I just hate what it does to my lower back. Sitting sucks too because you jar your insides super bad and compress your spine lol

i think I'm gonna try and kidney belt and see if it helps any. I was reading some guys having luck with them for lower back pain. 

I have an old spinal compression injury, and it helps no-end with the pain. Tbh I think you're mad if you don't wear a belt on a dirtbbike.

As or the sitting/standing thing, no problems sitting for a lot of stuff, even mx, but you gotta watch those big holes/drains etc.

These days I find I stand more for the slow fiddly stuff where I need balance, and the big fast stuff, and jumps of course, most other stuff I tend to sit. (It has nothing of course to do with being old and out of shape...)

On 8/15/2017 at 2:50 AM, LukeYZ426F said:

I much prefer standing I just hate what it does to my lower back. Sitting sucks too because you jar your insides super bad and compress your spine lol

i think I'm gonna try and kidney belt and see if it helps any. I was reading some guys having luck with them for lower back pain. 

Edited by DEATH_INC.

Standing in the proper position let's your legs absorb bumps. If you sat in rough straights or whoops you wouldn't go fast and would probably wad it up good. You have to be able to let the bike move underneath you. If the terrain is as smooth as a road then sitting is an option, but the rule in mx is to stand, sit at apex of corner, then either stand to get ready for next obstacle or sit if it's a short straight and smooth distance to another corner. Standing gives you way more control over the bike then sitting. But sit when you can. If you sit when you can, it eliminates the guesswork because you can always stand but you can't always sit.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, hondaman331 said:

Standing gives you way more control over the bike then sitting.

Sure, for rough straights, or super tight trails.

In corners it depends so much on the type of corner and how much power is being used.

As someone wrote earlier, people answer this question based on their assumption on the type of riding.

There is a reason pros in MX or offroad usually sit mid corner under high/full power.  Way more control and way safer.

Sitting does not always imply being lazy or having a rest.  Often standing and using less power is the lazy option.

Edited by numroe

Sure, for rough straights, or super tight trails.
In corners it depends so much on the type of corner and how much power is being used.
As someone wrote earlier, people answer this question based on their assumption on the type of riding.
There is a reason pros in MX or offroad usually sit mid corner under high/full power.  Way more control and way safer.
Sitting does not always imply being lazy or having a rest.  Often standing and using less power is be the lazy option.

They sit mid corner because it's the apex, transition from braking to throttle. Brake standing and lean in, sit up towards tank, off brake and on gas. It's a basic Gary semics principle.
  • Like 1

Now that I'm in my 60's, my ol worn out knees dictate how much I stand and sit. Steep downhills are of course always standing and if they're really long my legs are shaking by the bottom and the seat feels pretty good. Just started 3 rounds of lubricating shots in the knees..last ditch effort before knee replacements, hope it helps. 

• Like 1