New kx450f or crf450r?

Coming from a 2014 yz450f, loved the power of it, and I felt pretty comfortable on it, other than the lack of front end traction and pushing in turns. I just sold and am looking at another bike. Thinking about either a new 2017 kx450f, a slightly used 16 crf450r or maybe a new 17. Will consider Yamaha again but I doubt I will go that route.

those who rode the new crf and kx, how do they compare to the yz and which would be more reliable? I rode my buddies 16 crf450r and it felt good to jump and turn, but trying to wheelie it it felt really weird compared to my Yamaha. It felt hard to get the front to come up and to get steel it felt really shady. 

The bike will mostly be used for jumping and play riding, and riding ramps.

Felt the same way on my buddys 15', front end felt very vague for how much power it has. Rode it before and after he swapped triple clamps to 22mm(or maybe it was 20?) either way always wanted my bike asap. 

They are a wash in reliablity IMO, they all are pretty good these days if you stay on top of the maint. 

I'd have a tough time picking between the 17 kawi and honda, I'd say go sit on both, maybe the dealer would let you spin it around the lot, one is bound to feel better then the other and in all honesty, read some 450 shootouts from the mags, I feel MXA always shoots it pretty straight on their reviews and bike setups.  

Felt the same way on my buddys 15', front end felt very vague for how much power it has. Rode it before and after he swapped triple clamps to 22mm(or maybe it was 20?) either way always wanted my bike asap. 

They are a wash in reliablity IMO, they all are pretty good these days if you stay on top of the maint. 

I'd have a tough time picking between the 17 kawi and honda, I'd say go sit on both, maybe the dealer would let you spin it around the lot, one is bound to feel better then the other and in all honesty, read some 450 shootouts from the mags, I feel MXA always shoots it pretty straight on their reviews and bike setups.  

Thanks for the reply man. I was in both dealers and sat on them and they both felt pretty good to sit on. The dealer that sells the kawi is a pretty shitty one if you ask me and the Honda one isn't bad. I'm also considering a 17 Yamaha as well as I can probably get the best deal on one.

The kawi will be like 1000-1200 more than the other 2 on the road. I'm a big fan of the suspension on the Yamaha and the power of it and I'm pretty used to the handling ( I don't race anyways) but the wideness isn't the most attractive. However I like the over all look of the Yamaha more and I already know how to work on it , plus I have the tuner for it already. But the narrowness of the Hondas and the nimbleness of it is also super attractive .

HELP !!

If going Yamaha again the 18' looks to be a good improvement over the 17' which isn't much different then your 14'. 

Around here there are already a handful of used 17's of all colors so it wouldn't make since to me to buy new 17' at this point unless you're getting one with a hefty discount for being a leftover.

4 hours ago, TommyB 754 said:

If going Yamaha again the 18' looks to be a good improvement over the 17' which isn't much different then your 14'. 

Around here there are already a handful of used 17's of all colors so it wouldn't make since to me to buy new 17' at this point unless you're getting one with a hefty discount for being a leftover.

Yea I hear ya on that. But there aren't any 18s even out yet where I live (Newfoundland, Canada) and they probably won't be in until later the fall. And there aren't any 17s for sale in my area. A few 16s and a few 15s but none of which I'm too interested in. Getting a 17 for roughly 10 grand on the road whih is about 1000 off right now (Canadian dollars of course).

i like the look of the kx the most and it is a good bit lighter than the Yamaha and narrower but I'm just concerned with how much screwing around t will be with the air forks and setting them up and always having to adjust. And plus I don't know if they will drop the price much either since now it is 11000 on the road.

my only other concern is how reliable the Honda or the kawi will be compared to the Yamaha. The valves in my Yamaha never went out of spec with 120 hours on. Now I did a lot of maintenance and I don't expect every bike to be like that but I don't want to have the valves gone by 30 hours or something like that.

Edited by ttr230rider6