Two Stroke Crankshaft Seals

My Suzuki RL250 needs a new crank seal after 43 years.

The Suzuki  factory seal is :$46.95

http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/detail/suzuki/09283-30l03/b3193095?m=139643&sch=280276

I ran the size of the seal and came up with this for $4.19:

https://www.avxseals.com/Shaft-Oil-Seals-TC-30x55x10-p/tc30x55x10.htm

Not sure if the OEM is a double lip.

Will it work for my crankshaft?

if its the same size then it should work but don't expect the same lifespan as an OEM part

If, or more likely when, that cheap seal fails, it will allow air to be sucked into the crank case, which will lean out the mixture and result in a seized motor, possibly top end and/or crank as well.  At that point, the $40 you "saved" will look like chump change compared to the cost of rebuilding a seized motor.

There is no substitute for OEM on critical parts and a crank seal is the most critical of critical parts on a 2-stroke.

It looks like it is made out of better material that the original.  Funny how so many attach price alone to quality,  isn't it?   

• Like 1

the manufacture of the vehicle do not manufacture every part of the vehicle. if at all possible the bike manufacturer will purchase readily available supplies and parts. it is very possible if you do your homework proper to buy oem from its source without having to pay for the rebadging of part numbers, second set of hands shipping, warehousing and selling with its appropriate mark up

On 28/08/2017 at 4:17 PM, jsantapau said:

the manufacture of the vehicle do not manufacture every part of the vehicle. if at all possible the bike manufacturer will purchase readily available supplies and parts. it is very possible if you do your homework proper to buy oem from its source without having to pay for the rebadging of part numbers, second set of hands shipping, warehousing and selling with its appropriate mark up

I second this.

It's true you're supporting your brand by choosing OEM as often as possible and undoubtedly OEM quality of hard parts is usually superior, however the price difference rarely makes them jusified (if another comparable product is available). Most bearings and seals from well-known companies like SKF, FAG, Koyo, NTN, Timken, NSK.. will perform as or better than possibly obsolete OEM products. If not else, they might be the same yet cheaper for reasons stated above.

Edited by Narciss
  • Like 1

If the oem seal has been in a parts bin for 40 years I'd be concerned also. Seal material has evolved also, compatibility with fuels oils chemicals etc.  At 4 bucks I'd order it and inspect it against what you take out of the motors. Old twostroke that haven't been run ALWAYS have bad crank seals.

• Like 1