Are Project Bikes Even Worth It? Read more... ×

Next step suggestions please, or the next step may be the auction block

Hello,

I recently got a pretty good deal on a 05 RM250, $700.00 delivered to my door. However the RM turned out to be a RMZ250, which after running the vin turned out to be a KX250f with all Suzuki plastics.. (same bike, different plastics) Upon delivery the bike wouldn't kick but the guy got it to bump start. I never got it to do either before I started working it on it. So far, the piston has been checked and was good, the cylinder honed, the intake valves replaced, new valve seats cut and new shims added. I also did a full Pro X carb kit rebuild and adjusted the float. Yesterday after getting the bike back together it started after about 10 kicks. I was on my patio and the muffler was off and it was loud, so as to not bother my neighbors I moved the bike to the other side of my yard. The bike started on the first kick but died when released the throttle. Again it started after the first kick, this time I stayed on the gas until it really got going. I let it run for about 20-30 second and killed it adjusting the idle. At that point I figured it was up and going so I put the muffler back on and tidied up a few loose ends. Went back to start it...... nothing. Worked on it more today nothing.,....... 1 or two times out of the problem 100 + kicks it tried to catch. I tried a few weak attempts at bumping it but it was almost a 100 degrees and humid so I quit that pretty quick. The noise coming out of the head sounds like an empty bucket when I try to kick it over. 

I'm just about at my wits end. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, 

Edited by Huey_Boondocks

This happens all the time with a bike that has been sitting.  Starts up, runs for a bit, then it will not.  The cause and the solution is pretty simple after you've been through this experience a few times. .....  Crap and crud in the fuel system was put on the move when you moved it, jostled it kicking, started it.  To fix this:  Drain and flush the tank.  Take off take apart and clean the tank valve.  Take the carb off, strip it, clean it thoroughly through all ports and access pump, put brand new pilot jet size 42 in it, adjust the AP linkage, replace the fuel hoses with new actual fuel line hose.  Put fresh 91 octane gas in.  Kick it over, hear it purr, go giver all hell white knuckle riding tearing up the sod and ripping the bark off of logs across the trail.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FaceDeAce said:

This happens all the time with a bike that has been sitting.  Starts up, runs for a bit, then it will not.  The cause and the solution is pretty simple after you've been through this experience a few times. .....  Crap and crud in the fuel system was put on the move when you moved it, jostled it kicking, started it.  To fix this:  Drain and flush the tank.  Take off take apart and clean the tank valve.  Take the carb off, strip it, clean it thoroughly through all ports and access pump, put brand new pilot jet size 42 in it, adjust the AP linkage, replace the fuel hoses with new actual fuel line hose.  Put fresh 91 octane gas in.  Kick it over, hear it purr, go giver all hell white knuckle riding tearing up the sod and ripping the bark off of logs across the trail.

Thanks.... man you should be a writer. Had more fun reading the possible solution then riding the bike. 

Got it started again but the pipe is getting cherry red in 30 secs. Putting the #42 back in tomorrow. The carb kit came with a #40. Bought an extended fuel screw to tune with. Hopeful this will rectify the last few problems. 

Thanks again!!! 

Happy to help!  Looking forward to your success story ;)

PS:  glowing header at the first turn is normal when the bike is idling, not moving.

PS2:  There are a few threads with tuning tips here on TT.  I am sure I've put up a couple floating around on here about fine tuning the fuel screw, idle screw, jet needle;  using ear and the hot start to guide which way to go.

Edited by FaceDeAce