Bike is running weird.

I have the 16 Sherco SER 300. The bike has been fantastic until a couple months ago. It started to die while out on the trail. I would let it set thinking it was the spark plug. I put in a new plug then it would start right up. I thought that I just fouled a plug but it kept happening. The last time it died I pulled the plug then ground it to the cylinder to see if it was sparking and it was not. I installed a new spark plug and it would not spark either. It was consensus that it was the stator. I put in a new stator. We also tested the coil and the coil was showing the proper current. I rode it for the first time yesterday and it died again at about 40 miles. I let it set for 10 min the it fired right up and ran like a champ. 30 miles later it dies again. I let it set for 10 min the it fires up and no issues the rest of the day.  What do you think is going on ?

Hey hoss I dont no how all this computer stuff works! So that b n said, i gotsa question. I jus put my ktm 125 bak tagethr..ring n piston top end of corse! Well ol' katie she'll fire up but seems sumthin aint letn her breath or open up jus ta idle!!  Carbs clean!! Im getn aggervated cause i can fix bout ne thang im stumped. I need sum help!  Thank ya kindly,   george, Va.

9 hours ago, George Volk said:

Hey hoss I dont no how all this computer stuff works! So that b n said, i gotsa question. I jus put my ktm 125 bak tagethr..ring n piston top end of corse! Well ol' katie she'll fire up but seems sumthin aint letn her breath or open up jus ta idle!!  Carbs clean!! Im getn aggervated cause i can fix bout ne thang im stumped. I need sum help!  Thank ya kindly,   george, Va.

Meth?

check/replace your plug wire/cap

prolly first thing I'd do

Coil/cap. If not then check for loose wires and/or shorts. Seems heat or vibration related.

Sent from my SM-G930V using ThumperTalk mobile app

Could still be the coil or the cdi. Its not common but as they get warm they can stop working. Once cooled down they will start working again. 

I had a similar problem with my KTM 350 awhile back, turned out it was the regulator, which everyone said could not go bad.

I am installing a new cdi this weekend. If that is not it then it must be the coil ?

On 8/6/2017 at 10:16 PM, Russ Henry said:

I have the 16 Sherco SER 300. The bike has been fantastic until a couple months ago. It started to die while out on the trail. I would let it set thinking it was the spark plug. I put in a new plug then it would start right up. I thought that I just fouled a plug but it kept happening. The last time it died I pulled the plug then ground it to the cylinder to see if it was sparking and it was not. I installed a new spark plug and it would not spark either. It was consensus that it was the stator. I put in a new stator. We also tested the coil and the coil was showing the proper current. I rode it for the first time yesterday and it died again at about 40 miles. I let it set for 10 min the it fired right up and ran like a champ. 30 miles later it dies again. I let it set for 10 min the it fires up and no issues the rest of the day.  What do you think is going on ?

How about we do a 24 hour enduro ride. No maps, too little gas, share a Gatorade, 90 degrees, stock seats and forget our reading glasses?

guarantee you we figure it out after a nice mushroom soup and walk back to civilization? 

Russ, I can be ready in 5 minutes. 

38 minutes ago, TigerTanker said:

How about we do a 24 hour enduro ride. No maps, too little gas, share a Gatorade, 90 degrees, stock seats and forget our reading glasses?

guarantee you we figure it out after a nice mushroom soup and walk back to civilization? 

Russ, I can be ready in 5 minutes. 

You turn 50 and go crazy! Settle down! lol

I am installing a new cdi this weekend. If that is not it then it must be the coil ?

I'd do coil first. Keep the old cdi just in case. Coil is cheaper ain't it? I got an AMR for 75$.

Sent from my SM-G935V using ThumperTalk mobile app

13 minutes ago, HeavyRotation said:

I'd do coil first. Keep the old cdi just in case. Coil is cheaper ain't it? I got an AMR for 75$.

Sent from my SM-G935V using ThumperTalk mobile app

My dealer is lending me a new cdi box to try this weekend. 

Russ...what was the issue? Did you find the problem?

Joe

10 hours ago, trailmeisterjoe said:

Russ...what was the issue? Did you find the problem?

Joe

It must have been the cdi. I installed a new cdi last weekend and it never died.