Can I JB weld the crank case cover on my wr450f

Tldr: look at the bottom, told the whole story of my crash in the first few paragraphs

Hey all. I Was riding my 2011 Yamaha wr450f on the road earlier to get to some trails, 10 minute ride on some back roads from the 8-9 acres of private land I offload my bike at and start my day of riding 

I was riding to my trails and decided to hammer on the gas through a sharp left turn, which I've taken going 50-60mph through a bunch of times. Stupid I'm sure for the curve of the turn and with the speed limit 25 through it, but It's a backroad, not many people go on it whatever.  

Anyways, to the crash. I take the turn going 50 mph, then speed up to 60mph going through it. I Leaned in to the turn too much, don't have great tires for the road on my street legal wr450f, and was going way too fast so I slid on the left side of my bike on the pavement. I slid like right alongside the bike probably 20 feet. Got some road rash, torn up a bit, most of my body got small things on road rash tbh, mostly my left side. 

Anyways tldr my long story, crashed my wr450f at 60mph on the pavement, only messed up my clutch lever slightly and got a decent sized hole in the crank case. I rode it home with the hole in the case probably less than a mile as soon as I got up from the crash. 

I was just wondering, based off the pics I'm posting if I can JB weld it together for a hare scramble I have august 20th, or if I should just get a new aftermarket or OEM one?

Any opionions would be great. Pic of the crack in the case isn't great, crappy lighting, but it's maybe an inch, half inch long, the biggest part of the crack to the top of it,  right near the shifting pedal, whatever it's called. It bent in and poked a hole in the case. 

First pic is one of the oil that's leaked on my garage floor since I've had it sitting there for 12 hours, then the other 2 are of the crack in the case, not the best quality like I said 

IMG_0360.JPG

IMG_0361.JPG

IMG_0362.JPG

Edited by AARON915

To use JB WELD it's gonna have to be cleaned really well, so it can adhere.  I have known of a farmer or two who have used it on a tractor block with good success.  All it's going to cost you is the price of the JB WELD.  How bad does it leak while running?

Get it clean and JB Weld it. I'd use a drimmel to grind the crack a little to the JB has a better surface to adhere to. Then I would get on ebay and buy a used cover. Should be able to find one for cheap.

Sent from my SM-G900T using ThumperTalk mobile app

I have ( had ) a crack like that on my cover.   I cleaned it real well and smeared a layer of 24 hour cure JB weld over the top.    A year and half and 250 hours later,  not a drop of oil has came out.

Pull the shifter and round that edge there that makes that happen.

• Like 1

Hey guys, Late response lol but thanks for the advice. Should I just put JB on the outside or should I take the case off and put it on the inside like I've tried with my clutch cover (put on the inside and outside, didn't work and bought a new one) I've got a  hare scramble in a little over a week for NETRA that I'd really like to be a part of  so a fix that'd at least work for the race and 2-3 practice days before that would be great 

also, is that part called the crank cover or something else? Nothing really comes up when I search crank cover, ignition cover comes up with similar looking parts tho. 

Would the sealant in my house picture with this post be good to use? (Pictured sitting on my knees 250sx lol) Bought it to seal my new fmf slip on (which it didn't really work to seal, had a leak before this crash still) 

i don't mind buying a new or oem part to solve it but it'd be nice if I can patch it for a bit 

IMG_0374.JPG

Edited by AARON915

Just now, 91kdx25088 said:

I had an old street bike. dropped it once and put a good sized hole in the clutch cover. used JB weld and it worked fine.

Haha, just said this in my last post I think, could be wrong lol. I used JB, either the same one or about the same type on my clutch cover, inside and outside, of this same bike and it didn't work. Had to buy a new cover

It may have not been the right type, forget the name but I think it it was grey/silver when it cured, maybe a bit black

1 minute ago, AARON915 said:

Haha, just said this in my last post I think, could be wrong lol. I used JB, either the same one or about the same type on my clutch cover, inside and outside, of this same bike and it didn't work. Had to buy a new cover

It may have not been the right type, forget the name but I think it it was grey/silver when it cured, maybe a bit black

the surface has to be perfectly clean. sounds like the crap I used. cures in something like 24hr.

13 minutes ago, 91kdx25088 said:

the surface has to be perfectly clean. sounds like the crap I used. cures in something like 24hr.

Yeah I think that's how long it takes this stuff to cure.

I didn't clean the surface like crazy tbh but I wiped it off with a rag a good bit until I couldn't wipe off any oil with my fingers, then put a relatively thick layer on it. 

To the first few people that posted, how exactly should I clean it? Some type of sandpaper or oil or something? Just don't want to clean it with something and end up getting pieces of it In the place my oil is held haha. Don't know much about this area of the bike tbh. I haven't turned it on since I rode it home after crashing since it leaked Out a ton of oil 

Ill defintely get a new shifting pedal (whatever it's called lol) or try to bend my current one a bit so it's not right on the cover there, seeing as how it's what caused the crack in the case

Edited by AARON915

Clean with aerosol brake cleaner, rough the area with sandpaper, then clean again with brake cleaner, wiping it with a rag doused in brake cleaner. This will give the JB weld a good clean surface to stick to.

I used acetone but yes,  sand the area good with some 80 grit for good mechanical adhesion,  wipe it down a few times and smear and smooth with your finger.

If you are not going to remove the cover, at least lay the bike on its side.  This will help keep oil from seeping through the crack, reducing adhesion.

Thanks for the advice guys. I patched it and haven't noticed the bike leaking but that's with it only being off and probably low on oil.

I'll put some more oil in tomorrow afternoon and start her up for a bit, see how it goes. Haven't tried to start it since riding home after crashing