Crf250x needs to sound better

Hi

I bought a brand new Crf250x. Goes good but seems to be quit quit.

I don't see the point in buying a new pipe. Plus don't have the money. I've looked and there is a quiet thingy in the end cap of the stock exhaust but can't remove it. I also don't want too Loud. Like a stock 250r sound will be good. Don't want to loose any power either. Any one have an idea on what to do

I think by "quiet thingy in the end cap", you mean the spark arrester, which should not be removed.

As far as making it sound better, save for a slip-on.

<<Goes good but seems to be quit quit.>>

Given that the #1 problem with motorcycles is excessive sound and the reason why so many ridding areas are getting closed, I don't see that as a bad thing.

Jim.

• Like 1

Haha this is great, so it really depends on the state or wherever you live and if your offroading or if your always on the street but since I live somewhere it doesn't matter I remove the spark arrestor on all my bikes

• Like 1

<<your always on the street but since I live somewhere it doesn't matter I remove the spark arrestor on all my bikes>>

If your on a CRF250X, then your not always going to be on the street (otherwise you bought the wrong bike), and if your off-road, removing the spark arrester gains you nothing as it is not all that restrictive, other then you now have a shot at starting a fire.

It's the internal baffles in the can that count and if you remove any of them, it will get less restrictive (and louder).   You will also need a re-jet, which you should do anyway as the bikes are way lean from the factory.

Jim.

• Like 1

There's never a wrong or right bike for the road or dirt, the spark arrestor on the exhaust pipe can be quite a baffle on sound varying on the bike you have, and the air filter spark arrestor only improve performance if they're removed, and If you've got enough backfire to start a fire then you need to do maintenance on your carburetor
maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1

<<There's never a wrong or right bike for the road or dirt,>>

I would disagree.  A road bike and a dirt bike are fundamentally different from the frame up.  A CRF250x is not designed for street use. On a CRF, the frame flexes, which is not what you want in a road bike.   The motor is designed for performance and while the tranny is wide ratio for a dirt bike, it's not correct for a street bike. 

There are vast differences between street and dirt, which is why mfg's make both.

Jim.

Neither of those two pictures look like the Utah that I know.
My experience is all of the OEM spark arrestors do not cause back pressure problems nor reduce noise.  The screen area of the X SA is so large and it extends so far into the muffler that it is not an issue, but it does keep hot carbon particles from exiting the exhaust. It is a requirement for all equipment used off road that could create a spark, that also includes other engines like chain saws, car, trucks, etc.   

The noise reducing insert is welded into place on all 07 and newer Xs.

If you want a loud street bike buy a Harley w aftermarket exhaust.:rolleyes:

10 hours ago, monty250 said:

Hi

I bought a brand new Crf250x. Goes good but seems to be quit quit.

I don't see the point in buying a new pipe. Plus don't have the money. I've looked and there is a quiet thingy in the end cap of the stock exhaust but can't remove it. I also don't want too Loud. Like a stock 250r sound will be good. Don't want to loose any power either. Any one have an idea on what to do

Not much you can do with the muffler thats on the bike already if thats what your wondering.

An exhaust system from any 04-05 crf 250r will bolt right on but you WONT have a spark arrester, so that may be an issue and it would be louder than the exh system the x comes with.

8 hours ago, Clancy Pace said:

There's never a wrong or right bike for the road or dirt, the spark arrestor on the exhaust pipe can be quite a baffle on sound varying on the bike you have, and the air filter spark arrestor only improve performance if they're removed, and If you've got enough backfire to start a fire then you need to do maintenance on your carburetor
maxresdefault.jpg

These bikes are set up and used in alot of different ways, dual sport and super moto included with alot of aftermarket parts available. Depending on who your talking to and what theyre point of reference is you can get alot of different answers, especially on a website like TT. 

The 250X is easily capable of making more power and a different exh system is normally one of pieces needed for that and I would argue that a louder exh system makes a safer bike, which for some reason hasnt been brought up. :rolleyes:

13 hours ago, TDW said:

These bikes are set up and used in alot of different ways, dual sport and super moto included with alot of aftermarket parts available.

Honestly, I have to chuckle every time I see one of these go down the road.   It's a wanna be sport bike, which is far superior for use on the road.

13 hours ago, TDW said:

I would argue that a louder exh system makes a safer bike, which for some reason hasnt been brought up. :rolleyes:

Ah and then there's that, which has always been a hotly debated topic.  Motorcyclists pull this out all the time as an excuse for loud pipes.   Problem is, you can't point to a single study that proves this to be true.  But with that said, you can't point to any study that proves it to be false either.

And you can argue this a ton of different ways; loud pipes make a motorcyclist's presence known.   Yes, absolutely I would agree.  But at the same time you could argue that it distracts other drivers, which could cause an accident and you could become involved in as a result.

Personally, I think excessively loud pipes are a detriment to the motorcycling world. Motorcycles should meet all the local sound ordinances just like any other vehicle on the road.    If your relying on loudness to give you a safe ride, then your doing something wrong.  There are other things you can do to make your ride much safer.   Things like defensive driving or wearing a hi-visibility vest or helmet. 

Then there is being obnoxious.  Both on and off-road, people are feed up with excessively loud pipes and that will do you a fat lot of good if your are prohibited from riding at all.  Actually wait, that will do you a lot of good as you'll be quite safe then I guess<g>

And if you think I jest, look around the country and see some of the ordinances that are being past.   One town in Ohio; you now can't ride off-road on private property unless it is larger than two acres and you are not allowed to ride within 500 feet of a road or building.    Off-road, ridding area after ridding area is getting shut down and the number one reason is excessive noise, followed by dust.

Another fun fact; loud pipes too are an excuse to get  pulled over<g>.   Many police departments use this as "probable cause" to pull you over.    Any bike with a modified exhaust which is louder then stock is against the law.  Same as having license plate frames (obscured plate), or having something hanging from a mirror, something stuck to a windshield, or stuff piled up by the back window (obscured vision).  So have fun with that.

Loud pipes make you a target in so many ways.

Jim.

Edited by Jim Dettman
  • Like 5

15 minutes ago, Jim Dettman said:

If your relying on loudness to give you a safe ride, then your doing something wrong.  There are other things you can do to make your ride much safer.   Things like defensive driving or wearing a hi-visibility vest or helmet. 

"Loud pipes saves lives" proudly proclaimed by a rider in all black at night... the logic con-fuddles me.  

• Like 1

Sounds like an old guy nerve is irritated today, simmer down alittle. If you like the sound a stock 250X makes, great. But that doesnt mean its necessarily the best way or safest way you could have a bike set up.

You seem to have overlooked another important safety angle of the exh sound level debate which is, OTHER people using the same piece of real estate or trail that you would likely find a 250X on. Since many trails have sight limiting obstacles such as trees, hills, rocks etc  the people on bicycles, horses, jogging will or could receive the benefit of hearing a dirt bike coming into the path their on from any direction. Truth is the dirt bike rider is often the last one to be aware of someone else on a trail.

So the exh noise level thing isnt just about a rider who likes loud bikes.  Im surprised how some people are and how they tend to push their own views without considering other aspects, and the safety aspect is very significant.

50 minutes ago, TDW said:

You seem to have overlooked another important safety angle of the exh sound level debate which is, OTHER people using the same piece of real estate or trail that you would likely find a 250X on. Since many trails have sight limiting obstacles such as trees, hills, rocks etc  the people on bicycles, horses, jogging will or could receive the benefit of hearing a dirt bike coming into the path their on from any direction.

Just because you have a loud dirt bike, does that mean you presume you own the trail?   What if a person that is jogging or bicycling happens to be deaf?   With a loud bike, do you think you have more chance of spooking a horse and possibly throwing a rider than if you were on a quieter bike?

Do you really believe that people you meet on the trail will be less offended by a loud bike or a quieter one?

Truth is the dirt bike rider is often the last one to be aware of someone else on a trail.

That's just sad given that you are ridding a machine that could cause someone significant injury, or yourself (another machine coming the other way hitting you head on). 

I'm surprised how some people are and how they tend to push their own views without considering other aspects, and the safety aspect is very significant.

Read my first comment above, then think about this statement again.

Jim. 

Edited by Jim Dettman

You seem to have overlooked another important safety angle of the exh sound level debate which is, OTHER people using the same piece of real estate or trail that you would likely find a 250X on. Since many trails have sight limiting obstacles such as trees, hills, rocks etc  the people on bicycles, horses, jogging will or could receive the benefit of hearing a dirt bike coming into the path their on from any direction. Truth is the dirt bike rider is often the last one to be aware of someone else on a trail.

I ride an area that has short sight lines because of vegetation and topography. Over the years I've had several head ons and I've attempted analysis on the contributing factors after each.  Loud or quiet was not a contributor in any.  However my experience is a quiet exhaust allows you to hear a bike approaching from the rear.  Any motorcycle is audible to other non motorized users of a trail. I've found, and tested,  that a headlight does help avoid headons by providing earleir warning to the oncoming rider.   

I've owned and ridden MCs with loud exhaust and the noise is very tiring on long rides so I go for quiet. Before the quiet revolution we use to wear ear plugs when riding to avoid hearing damage. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Chuck. said:

Before the quiet revolution we use to wear ear plugs when riding to avoid hearing damage. 

Another safety aspect that too many riders have overlooked.

Jim.

JD your off your rocker with some of those comments but thats ok if thats what you believe, but for gods sake to push all that BS on a poster who has some specific questions is nuts.:naughty:

Goes good but seems to be quit quit.

Quiet is good.  You will learn that with age.

Edited by mossman77
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mossman77 said:

My advice is to stay in school and learn how to spell.  I'm assuming you are trying to say "quite" and "quiet".  You said quit quit, as if your bike quits running.

Ah come on....could be on a phone after all, or maybe English is a second language.  Never really know where a post is coming from.

Jim.

2 hours ago, TDW said:

JD your off your rocker.:naughty:

I guess so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No03friWx5o

Jim.

• Like 1

The stock exhaust flows plenty of air at sea level. At higher altitude in Utah, you are flowing more than the engine can use.

That bike is already too noisy. Off road bikes are under a microscope, and the anti-access, anti-fun crowd loves to find a new excuse to get trails shut down. Why give them ammo?

• Like 1