Best knee braces?

I just recently tore my acl and partially tore my mcl. I'll be getting surgery in the near future and I figure it would also be wise to invest in some quality knee braces. I've always worn knee/shin pads but never braces. What are the best off-the-shelf knee braces to get? I want something that offers great protection and comfort.

Since you specify off-the-shelf, I recommend Mobius. They are comfortable, adjustable, and provide good stability. Check out reviews here and online. Measure your thigh as they say and get the size that fits per that measurement. Large was too big for me, although my thigh was just below the lower bound for large. Medium are perfect. They come with lots of pads for adjustment if necessary.

Do your homework on braces. How each fits you and design/mechanism employed to restrict movement of the joint. Improper fit and/or set up can be worse than not riding with them in the first place, as was my experience with the Mobius. I had no prior knee injuries. Started wearing the braces as a preventative measure but didn't turn out that way, as I popped my ACL within a month.

It was probably my own fault, not giving enough thought into their design and action to stabilize the joint. I swapped out the spacers in the cups to a taller one without considering how it would change the mechanics. I figured restricting knee extension a little more than their initial set up would be a good thing. WRONG.

The full post explaining what I did wrong and how it came to bite me, as well as the mechanics of it is around here somewhere.

I'm still wearing them after recovery, but I have re-evaluated the mechanics and set up them up accordingly.

Edited by Trailryder42
4 hours ago, Trailryder42 said:

Do your homework on braces. How each fits you and design/mechanism employed to restrict movement of the joint. Improper fit and/or set up can be worse than not riding with them in the first place, as was my experience with the Mobius. I had no prior knee injuries. Started wearing the braces as a preventative measure but didn't turn out that way, as I popped my ACL within a month.

It was probably my own fault, not giving enough thought into their design and action to stabilize the joint. I swapped out the spacers in the cups to a taller one without considering how it would change the mechanics. I figured restricting knee extension a little more than their initial set up would be a good thing. WRONG.

The full post explaining what I did wrong and how it came to bite me, as well as the mechanics of it is around here somewhere.

I'm still wearing them after recovery, but I have re-evaluated the mechanics and set up them up accordingly.

If you find the full post, please bump it for me to find. I get a blister on one leg only when I wear mine. 

I like Asterisk knee braces. There are 2 models...one with BOA system and one with velcro. My son's have BOA, mine velcro. Pros and cons to each...the brace is the same though...just attachment varies.

I didn't like the way Mobius felt, which is why I have Asterisks. You'll need to try em for yourself and see what you like.

I tried a few,  and ended up with mobius. I too was surprised that I was a medium.  Definitely do the measurements as per the instructions,  and use the supplied pads to get the fit right.   Only issue I had was interference with my alpine stars bionic freeride shorts (thigh pad overlaps with the top of the knee brace)... I may end up trimming the thigh pad up a bit.   I've found the mobius x8 to be quite comfortable.  Some guys have complained about fabric from pants getting pinched in the hinges,  restricting movement at times,  but I've been on about 5 long rides since purchasing,  and haven't had that issue.     I really like the ratcheting wire tightening mechanism behind the knee... you can fine tune the tightness much better than with Velcro straps.  

I have Asterisk braces, and my only issue is they are thick where they go in the boot, causing me to adjust the buckles almost all they way out. You guys that have tried different ones know of a brand that is thinner? I've had them quite awhile, were at the time about the only game in town short of custom. Haven't used them in anger, knock on wood, so how effective they are I don't know. My only complaint. Any thoughts?

7 hours ago, 1gr8bldr said:

If you find the full post, please bump it for me to find. I get a blister on one leg only when I wear mine. 

If you're getting blisters, I'm guessing you probably aren't wearing leggings under them. I wear these. The thigh fits under my compression shorts and I roll my socks up over the calf section. No blisters for me.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/829/-/1151509/Thor-Comp-Knee-Sleeves-2016-Large-X-Large-Navy-Orange

Edited by Trailryder42
13 hours ago, fineblackline said:

I just recently tore my acl and partially tore my mcl. I'll be getting surgery in the near future and I figure it would also be wise to invest in some quality knee braces. I've always worn knee/shin pads but never braces. What are the best off-the-shelf knee braces to get? I want something that offers great protection and comfort.

I've been using braces for 30 years and have had both Asterisk's with laces and boa's. I thought they were good until I got my CTI's this year. If you can get your medical insurance to pay I strongly recommend them. They're sleek, light and work great!

^^^^^^^^

I second this, I had an ACL replacement about 5 years ago, my doctor asked me if I wanted knee braces because he knew I would not stop riding. He measured me up and ordered me a custom pair of CTI's through my insurance. I must say they are by far the best brace I have ever worn. I still wear them every time I throw a leg over my bike. After 5 years they show no signs of wear besides a few scratches on the brace itself from a fall or tip over.

I have a 100% ruptured PCL (opposite side of knee from ACL) and I'm having trouble finding a proper brace.  Most are advertised for ACL and some actually pre-load the PCL to reduce ACL strain.  That wont work for me. I see some CTi braces are for PCL ruptures but, knowing my injury very well, they don't look to be effective at controlling posterior tibia motion.  I suppose looks can be deceiving.

Any insight?

Pod K4