YZ 250x rear brake pads...anything better?

Have any of you long time YZ riders found a way to improve the bite and feel of the rear brakes? I find mine to be quite uncommunicative.

I've found over the years and don't care what others say lol there's nothing better than oem Nissan brake pads :thumbsup:

Not many people complain about a lack of rear brake power. Except for the draggers.

Did you boil the original fluid?  That'd certainly cause problems if not replaced.

Did you get oil on the pads and rotor and glaze them?

Is the rotor spinning straight?

What pads are you using?  Most cheap rear sintered pads with copper plates should be good enough.

Brand new YZ x, only two rides in. Just found the brakes seemed to work less aggressively and predictably than the other bikes I have ridden in the last few years. 2017 Husky 300, 2013 KTM SX 250 and a 2012 WR 250.

13 hours ago, nicad said:

Brand new YZ x, only two rides in. Just found the brakes seemed to work less aggressively and predictably than the other bikes I have ridden in the last few years. 2017 Husky 300, 2013 KTM SX 250 and a 2012 WR 250.

Then my first guess is that the pads and rotor are contaminated with oil. Clean the rotor and try new pads. Or resurface the existing pads.  There is nothing weak about the design of the YZ rear brake. Works fine.

They might be better after break in, like the suspension.

If you like ktm brakes you will have to modify the yz. Ktm's take less effort.

Bleed the brakes. 

I will say that the X front pads are better and Higher $ . The rear is not noticeable to me as my range of area varies a lot between most of my rear changes .  

I find the front brakes excellent really. Will give them a clean . The pedal is rock hard, so I do not suspect air in the system. I guess I  was wondering if there are other pad configurations that have a more aggressive bite?