What is an 02 cr250 worth?

I'm thinking about buying an 02 cr250 basket case.  The bike is assembled as a roller and the engine is in a box with the cylinder removed.  The top and bottom end of the engine are toast but the guy has everything for it, it just needs a full rebuild.  On top of that the bike has been sitting apart for about 7 years. so the bearings in the motor are rusted.  After crunching the numbers and being pretty optimistic with parts the bill to rebuild it will be a minimum of 1000 dollars.  What do you guys think this bike is worth?  I'm thinking 500-600, is this a realistic number?

The problem with that particular bike is that it's been apart for 7 years. That's a long time to misplace things. Parts for those bikes are drying up too. I wouldn't buy it unless it was for spare parts only. 

Its not worth much as it is now. It could cost a lot to get it running so I'd try and find one that's intact and running before you lose your shirt.

Everything is there for the bike, I saw it with my own eyes and he has several of these bikes so he said if I was missing anything I could come back and he'd have the part.  But I agree on the parts statement, it needs an airbox boot and they are unavailable everywhere except one place I found.  I can see parts turning into a problem.

The rest of the bike is still 15 years old,

on top of the investment required to rebuild the engine,

the rest of chassis (every single bearings, suspension, cables etc. etc.) is also going to need attention.

1. After having done this exact thing with a cr125, I would recommend against it and to just buy a runner

2. If you do go ahead and get it, I would pay no more than $400. Even at that, you will be way upside down by the time you are done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using ThumperTalk mobile app

Alright thanks for the advice guys. I might just pass on it unless I can get it for a really low price.

Sent from my SM-G900V using ThumperTalk mobile app

He has a running 02 cr250 for sale also.  What is a good price for a running 02 cr250?  The anodize on the forks were pitted and it had some scratches on the plastics like any bike.

1500-1800 roughly without pix and knowing more. Could be over/under.

I agree with everything that has been said above. It ALWAYS costs more to put one back together than what you can buy a running model for. Trust me, I've done it several times now and you always end up WAY upside down on it when all is said and done. Buy a complete, running bike, and you will STILL have to put some money in it. Swing arm bearings, linkage bearings, and head-stay bearings are over-looked one every used bike I've ever purchased.  How many bikes have you owned that you have regularly serviced those? That's my point exactly.

I don't think I would take that disassembled bike for any more than a $300. And if I were to buy it at that price, I would not put it back together, I would just part it out.

If you can do so, look at Craigslist for your area to get an idea as to what prices on used CR's runs. Again, if the price is low, there is a reason for that and the seller is not likely to be honest with you about what is really wrong with it. Buyer beware. You will find a huge swing in prices between different areas of the country. In my area "clean" looking 02 CR's command much lower prices than the 2005-2007's. You can't touch an 05-07 in good condition for less than $2500. The 02-04's typically sell for $2000-2700. So, the last gen CR's are NOT cheap unless they have big problems. Keep that in mind.

I haven't been clear about the condition of the bike. the bike isn't completely disassembled. Just the motor is removed from the frame and then the cylinder was removed because it originally just needed a top end. The problem is the main bearings and crank are shot because it sat in a garage for almost a decade.  Thanks for the help so far.

Edited by 96motorhead

Also my 1000 dollar estimate includes linkage and steering bearings.  The only way it will cost more than 1000 dollars is if the tranny or clutch is toast.

4 hours ago, Dklassen said:

The problem with that particular bike is that it's been apart for 7 years. That's a long time to misplace things. Parts for those bikes are drying up too. I wouldn't buy it unless it was for spare parts only. 

Its not worth much as it is now. It could cost a lot to get it running so I'd try and find one that's intact and running before you lose your shirt.

+1.   Was thinking the same thing after reading the OP's thread started.

Just read the rest of the posts.  All the members have provided good info..   Personally I'd pass.

Edited by H4L

I would say that any bike you buy you're going to be upside down on.  I have an 03' CR250 that I'm upside down over 2 grand on, I have a 17 Husky TX300 that I'm $3K upside down on and I don't even want to start on my CRF.  I'm upside down because I'm always doing the "next thing" to my bike to make it better.  My point is that this sport isn't cheap, neither is drag racing.  You will NEVER get an honest return on a dirt bike if you actually build it and use it for what it's intended.  Sometimes you can buy a bike and flip it for more then you have in it....and...it's usually a piece of crap that you sold to some sucker because it wasn't good enough for you.  As far as buying a running one; you might make out better, but you're still going to end up buying the things get a bike up to your standards and fixing the things you didn't account for..... or you might get lucky and buy a ticking time bomb, then it's a wash... Just my opinion, take it with a grain of salt.

As far as this roller, I'd only buy it if I had a hook-up on parts or a CR500 motor.

I would say that any bike you buy you're going to be upside down on.  I have an 03' CR250 that I'm upside down over 2 grand on, I have a 17 Husky TX300 that I'm $3K upside down on and I don't even want to start on my CRF.  I'm upside down because I'm always doing the "next thing" to my bike to make it better.  My point is that this sport isn't cheap, neither is drag racing.  You will NEVER get an honest return on a dirt bike if you actually build it and use it for what it's intended.  Sometimes you can buy a bike and flip it for more then you have in it....and...it's usually a piece of crap that you sold to some sucker because it wasn't good enough for you.  As far as buying a running one; you might make out better, but you're still going to end up buying the things get a bike up to your standards and fixing the things you didn't account for..... or you might get lucky and buy a ticking time bomb, then it's a wash... Just my opinion, take it with a grain of salt.
As far as this roller, I'd only buy it if I had a hook-up on parts or a CR500 motor.

Its funny you mention the cr500 swap. He's selling it as a cr500 swap project as he has 2 service honda 500 af's. He had some good information on doing the swap being that he has experience with the 500af. I would love to do this but a pos used 500 motor is still 2k.

In my teens & into the early twenties I would buy a basket case to build up until I realized it was much easier to start with a better foundation.  It also made a big difference in my wallet.   

7 hours ago, 96motorhead said:

He has a running 02 cr250 for sale also.  What is a good price for a running 02 cr250?  The anodize on the forks were pitted and it had some scratches on the plastics like any bike.

6 hours ago, DEMI said:

1500-1800 roughly without pix and knowing more. Could be over/under.

California the going rate for an 02 is 2500-3000+ depending on condition. I would gladly buy a basket of parts 02 for $1000 and build it myself.