Is there an established way to build a ~200lb CRF230 without a BBR frame?

Is there an established way to build a ~200lb CRF230 without a BBR frame? For example, is there a short wheelbase aluminum framed Honda bike that one could install the CRF230F engine into? I accept that any project like this would be a huge undertaking- but is there a place where you would suggest one start?

Alternatively, anyone have a BBR 230 to sell? haha

I have a friend with a BBR/XR200 with full size wheels.

I tried to get a XR200R under 200lbs and stopped at 208 when further lost would reduce functionality like side stand, seat foam, high traction tires, quiet exhaust, etc.  My sense is there are lots of small opportunities left but they can become expensive. My next move will probably be Trials bike wheels/brakes.

Places to start for ideas are ExploringWA's (now CL13579)  thread https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/590132-2007-crf230f-weight-loss-program/ on reducing CRF230F weight and my thread https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/720551-xr200r-weight-reduction/ on XR200R Weight reduction.

What are the big weight offenders on a 230F?  Forks, electric starter, .........?

How much different in weight is the BBR frame vs the OE 230F frame?  Aluminum is about 1/3 the weight of steel but the BBR frame uses large section tubing which surely has a thicker wall so....... 

Like them folks over on the Corvette forum like to say, "Save your money on racer parts and get to the gym!"

The 230f crankshaft and flywheel alone weigh in at 15 lbs.
between the two of them one can whittle off a Lb.

1 hour ago, Chuck. said:

I have a friend with a BBR/XR200 with full size wheels.

I tried to get a XR200R under 200lbs and stopped at 208 when further lost would reduce functionality like side stand, seat foam, high traction tires, quiet exhaust, etc.  My sense is there are lots of small opportunities left but they can become expensive. My next move will probably be Trials bike wheels/brakes.

Places to start for ideas are ExploringWA's (now CL13579)  thread https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/590132-2007-crf230f-weight-loss-program/ on reducing CRF230F weight and my thread https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/720551-xr200r-weight-reduction/ on XR200R Weight reduction.

I got to check that 230 of cl13579 out years ago on a ride up at blue lake and it felt incredible at that weight. I have done some mods to shed the pounds but need to loose some more. all the little things add up to big savings!

One thing I'm wondering about for the CRF230F-

lightweight hubs machined from billet. Are modern hubs and rims lighter than the old-school cast hubs on the CRF230? You can buy a set of new rims and hubs as well as spokes from Rocky Mountain ATV for under $500. Same with wave rotors versus the stock rotor. 

Who has cut weight out of the flywheel? I worry doing this would totally transform the tractor nature of the engine, but 15lbs for the flywheel/crank is a lot of weight I guess. The stock lower triple clamp is heavy as hell. I have a 150R front end on mine though so at least that's gone. It'd still be lighter if I installed a full on billet triple clamp set I bet.

I'd love to get my bike down to sub 225 wet, I'm at 250 now with gas. 

Simplest way to achieve what you're asking for is spend eight grand on this:
IMG_1827.PNG
201.7 lbs without fuel, electric and kick start, rear disc brakes and more power.

9 minutes ago, Confederate said:

Simplest way to achieve what you're asking for is spend eight grand on this:
IMG_1827.PNG
201.7 lbs without fuel, electric and kick start, rear disc brakes and more power.

But a completely different power band. Like the opposite of a CRF230. 

The simple answer to a 200 lb. CRF230 is it ain't gonna happen even with a aluminum BBR frame. 

Especially if KTM lists their 150 XCW at 201 lbs. a two stroke motor weighs almost nothing in comparison to a CRF230. 

1 minute ago, stevethe said:

The simple answer to a 200 lb. CRF230 is it ain't gonna happen even with a aluminum BBR frame. 

Especially if KTM lists their 150 XCW at 201 lbs. a two stroke motor weighs almost nothing in comparison to a CRF230. 

I'll settle for 225lbs if that's even possible!

The XCW150 looks nice but I crash too much to have any radiators or expansion chambers hanging off of my bike haha

Just now, xplodee said:

I'll settle for 225lbs if that's even possible!

The XCW150 looks nice but I crash too much to have any radiators or expansion chambers hanging off of my bike haha

225lbs. yes but it takes some pretty good components to get it done. 

I have a 21" 18" wheeled BBR framed CRF230 with some lighter weight stuff on it similar to a modern bike. 

IMG_1053.JPG

It's pretty crazy that it takes cash , dedication and fabrication, and a dream...

To get the 230 into the same weight class as a KTM 450... Which also has electric start...

6 minutes ago, stevethe said:

I have a 21" 18" wheeled BBR framed CRF230 with some lighter weight stuff on it similar to a modern bike. 

IMG_1053.JPG

THIS is what I would love to build/buy. How much does this weigh?

In the meantime, I think aluminum rear sprocket, lightweight chain, new front hub/disk/rim on top of the mods I already have (see signature below) may take me to 240lbs wet.

4 minutes ago, xplodee said:

THIS is what I would love to build/buy. How much does this weigh?

In the meantime, I think aluminum rear sprocket, lightweight chain, new front hub/disk/rim on top of the mods I already have (see signature below) may take me to 240lbs wet.

Probably 215 - 220 + lbs. 

You might be surprised how heavy bikes really weigh. 

Edited by stevethe
7 minutes ago, stevethe said:

Probably 215 - 220 + lbs. 

You might be surprised how heavy bikes really weigh. 

I've weighed mine in at 250lbs with the gear that's on it currently plus gas.

2 hours ago, xplodee said:

One thing I'm wondering about for the CRF230F-

lightweight hubs machined from billet. Are modern hubs and rims lighter than the old-school cast hubs on the CRF230? You can buy a set of new rims and hubs as well as spokes from Rocky Mountain ATV for under $500. Same with wave rotors versus the stock rotor. 

Who has cut weight out of the flywheel? I worry doing this would totally transform the tractor nature of the engine, but 15lbs for the flywheel/crank is a lot of weight I guess. The stock lower triple clamp is heavy as hell. I have a 150R front end on mine though so at least that's gone. It'd still be lighter if I installed a full on billet triple clamp set I bet.

I'd love to get my bike down to sub 225 wet, I'm at 250 now with gas. 

Most of those RMATV wheels are pretty heavy. The spokes and rims are heavy. If you want lighter wheels you would need to have them made up. I went with Talon hubs and Excel rims. IMG_0750.JPG.5b36cef5cdb34fc5fce1330265dfd9f0.JPG

Considering the easy availability of high precision and light weight wheels, hubs, spokes, brake rotors, brake calipers, chains and sprockets- I'm leaning toward focussing on this type of stuff first before I worry too much about something like an aluminum frame. Besides, I could transplant all of the above parts onto an aluminum frame bike should I ever find one. 

Secondly, reducing unsprung weight is apparently 5x more effective in its "feel" versus reducing sprung weight. $2k budget, think I can drop another 15lbs with the parts described above?