Starting Issues

I'm currently at a loss, and unsure of where to go from here.

My bike, runs great. When it likes to start.

I can unload it, kick it twice, and it fires right up, no problem.

I can ride it without issue, but as soon as I kill it from dropping it, or if it dies while in gear, it turns into the bike from hell trying to get it started again.

I recently replaced the spark plug, float valve and bowl, oil, and gas. Also gave the carb a deep clean when replacing the float parts. Still doesn't like to fire back up while on the trail.

Anyone have any idea what I need to check next? It's an 04 Kicker with the FCR39 if that helps. The only thing that's not stock on it is the White Brothers E-Series exhaust.

Any help would be much appreciated!

KIMG0059.JPG

When you originally start it up, do you need to use the choke? What is your experience with modern 4 stroke dirt bikes?

I have seen Honda's with tight valves act up when hot but usually the probably occurs cold. Then again, I've never dealt with a DRZ that had the valves go out of range.

Sent from my XT1650 using ThumperTalk mobile app

If you have the Hot start hooked up try using it , that's exactly why it's there , though the DRZ isn't one that tends to need it. What happens (may or may not be what's going on here) is when you choke it off or tip over there gets excess fuel in the intake and being a hot motor it turns to vapors so not enough O² .The richer your jetted at idle the worse it can get . The hot start plunger opens up a passage to suck in fresh air and stops more fuel from being sucked in to allow the a/f mixture to get back in where she'll fire off.  Most on here probably didn't get to have fun restarting(or attempting to restart) the old big bore thumpers at a time before the hot start option on most of todays 4t's (MX mostly). It was common to start digging for a lighter in your pocket to burn the bastard to the ground .

Edited by jjktmrider

9 hours ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

When you originally start it up, do you need to use the choke? What is your experience with modern 4 stroke dirt bikes?

I have seen Honda's with tight valves act up when hot but usually the probably occurs cold. Then again, I've never dealt with a DRZ that had the valves go out of range.

The choke is rarely needed on first start. It usually fires up no problem. Usually don't even need to use the decompressor. This is only my second bike. My first being a 2010 CRF250 fuelie.

8 hours ago, jjktmrider said:

If you have the Hot start hooked up try using it , that's exactly why it's there , though the DRZ isn't one that tends to need it. What happens (may or may not be what's going on here) is when you choke it off or tip over there gets excess fuel in the intake and being a hot motor it turns to vapors so not enough O² .The richer your jetted at idle the worse it can get . The hot start plunger opens up a passage to suck in fresh air and stops more fuel from being sucked in to allow the a/f mixture to get back in where she'll fire off.  Most on here probably didn't get to have fun restarting(or attempting to restart) the old big bore thumpers at a time before the hot start option on most of todays 4t's (MX mostly). It was common to start digging for a lighter in your pocket to burn the bastard to the ground .

Unfortunately there is no hot start on this bike. If there were, that would make total sense though. I need to find a jetting chart for this bike but I can't seem to find anything for a non-SM model.

4 hours ago, Backwoods-Bomber said:

Is this a new problem to the bike or has it always been a bear to start hot?

Sent from my SM-G930V using ThumperTalk mobile app

It's been a bear since I've owned it. Which isn't saying much. I've only had it since the beginning of the year.

Starting easily cold without the choke is a indication that it is rich on the pilot/fuel screw setting. When 4 strokes get hot they want a lean setting to fire, thats 1 possible explanation. Also, don't give it any throttle when trying to start warm. Don't even put your hand on the throttle when kicking it

I never had a kicker only but booting it without using the decomp doesn't sound right. Do you have a compression tester?

Kicker jetting is roughly the same as the SM FCR jetting that probably accounts for 25% of the million plus topics on here.

150-160 main depending on mods and elevation

45 pilot

EMN needle 3rd clip or stock on 5th

• Like 1