Ambrose lake state park for camping / riding?

Ok guys,  have a new rider, 18 years old  good athlete,  not real familair with the bike (I put em on a KYTM 250 with an autoclutch -  de-tuned,  seems to work good for these guys!)

.  want to go somewhere to camp,  and ride out of the camp.  coming out of Troy ,  so east side is a plus. 

I'm thinking ambrose lake state park,  with with the Ambrose ORV trail head right there.

anyone have any good info / intel on thois site,  or better suggestions?

thanks

Never stayed there, but I know it's first come first serve. We stay at beaver trail, which is a few miles away, about a ten minute ride down the roads.

Its first come first serve fairly big lots, I have seen some good size rigs there.  trail head is couple 100 yrds down the road, you can ride to St Helen ,rose city the Ambrose loop, its a good centrally located riding area..really nice rustic camp ground

Thanks guys,  we finally settled on clear lake state park,  and riding atlanta ORV.  I'll let you know how it turns out!

It looks like you already decided on Atlanta but if you're still open to suggestions see what you think about this.  If you camp in the 'Rifle River Recreation area', you are about 10 miles from the Huron ATV Trailhead, 10 to Ambrose Lake, 5 to Rose city, 3 to Bull gap.  One small problem is if you are not plated you will have to trailer to each trailhead since non-plated ORV's are not allowed to drive around in the RR rec area.  Also the RR rec area is much closer than Atlanta if your coming from Troy.   

2 hours ago, Kendzi said:

It looks like you already decided on Atlanta but if you're still open to suggestions see what you think about this.  If you camp in the 'Rifle River Recreation area', you are about 10 miles from the Huron ATV Trailhead, 10 to Ambrose Lake, 5 to Rose city, 3 to Bull gap.  One small problem is if you are not plated you will have to trailer to each trailhead since non-plated ORV's are not allowed to drive around in the RR rec area.  Also the RR rec area is much closer than Atlanta if your coming from Troy.   

I appreciate the feedback and info.  I will keep it in mind.  For this particular trip -  ride in ride out was a big priority,  as well as modern restrooms/ showers.  

We go to clear lake every Memorial Day weekend. It's a great park with the trail right there. The trail right out of there has a big hill that is pretty sandy, but lots of fun. Have a good trip

If you do ever ride Ambrose, I thought the connector up to Ogemaw Hills was pretty fun.

Doc

Come out and ride with the Bent Wheels and the CCC and camp right on our property 5399d18bbae1f1108e89bd03f8ab8d58.jpg

3 minutes ago, slick67ss1 said:

Come out and ride with the Bent Wheels and the CCC and camp right on our property 5399d18bbae1f1108e89bd03f8ab8d58.jpg

I ride a observed trials event up at the Bent Wheels property and live near one of the members.  I'm bummed because ai missed a dual sport ride you guys just did out of my area.  I think it was called the Short Way 'Round.  I'll have to check my schedule, but ai'd love to give this event a shot.

Doc

I ride a observed trials event up at the Bent Wheels property and live near one of the members.  I'm bummed because ai missed a dual sport ride you guys just did out of my area.  I think it was called the Short Way 'Round.  I'll have to check my schedule, but ai'd love to give this event a shot.
Doc
I did not make that lasts weekend but I did it last year it was a fun ride the fall color tour should be a good turnout

i cant wait for color tour :D

I too will be at color tour.  Look for a 300 xcw with 827 on the number plates.