Fork Seals - what am I doing wrong?

It all looked so easy - change a weeping fork seal, a nice simple job, although not one I've done on an XR600 and not something I've done for many years as all my bikes have boots.

Anyway, a 1989 XR600, fork seems stock when I look at a parts diagram. Can't find my Haynes manual but I do have a Clymer manual. My first issue was separating the fork slider from the fork leg, the manual suggested that the slider just pulled easily from the leg one I'd removed the dust caps and circlip leaving just the seal in place. I'd undone all the internals as per the manual but there was no way the slider was coming out of the leg. I eventually got it out using the slider & leg a bit like a slide hammer - the slider came out, so did the fork seal, the washer and then the bush guide (link to part). The bush slider (link to part) was still attached to the fork slider leg. So far no huge drama, it wasn't going as planned but I reckoned I'd be OK.

But, I'm having an issue and I'd welcome some help. I've put the bush guide back into the fork leg, its a snug fit, the ends of the guide are touching, no gap. The bush slider on the fork leg just won't push past the bush guide no matter how hard I try. I've lubed the bush guide, I've tried a bit of force to get the bush slider past the bush guide but it ain't happening.

Seems to me that the only way to get the fork slider into the fork leg is to remove the bush guide from the fork leg, insert the fork slider into the fork leg and then install the bush guide, the washer and the fork seal over the fork slider - is this the way it should be done? Both the manual and videos I've watched say different.

If this is the correct method, any tips on removing the bush guide from its snug housing in the fork leg?

If its not the correct way please tell me what I'm doing wrong. Is there a step by step guide or a video that I should watch that'll explain the error of my ways?

It all seemed so simple.......

Thanks in advance

Ok, I've watched a couple of videos and it appears that I need to remove the bush guide from the fork leg, insert the slider leg and then fit the bush guide.

This guy explained it in a way I understood in case anyone is interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrmYJgcGX30

(I like his home made tools, especially the 17mm hex head he makes from a bolt)

I'd still welcome links to any other tutorials you feel would help me understand further, especially concerning how to put together the internals of the fork.

Thanks