Sign in to follow this  

Coating Stainless Steel Pipes in Vodka

First post. Forgive me if it is in the wrong forum.

I've just purchased Yoshimura's RS2 for my DRZ400S. In reading all the information posted for it, I've come across a few comments talking about rubbing stainless steel headers with alcohol to affect the discoloration. Specifically, I've read recommendations to soak the headers in vodka to have them turn an even "golden brown".

Has anyone tried this?

Does not do anything. After you install the pipe, you want to clean it with a evaporating solvent (alcohol/benzine/brake parts cleaner, Vodka if you must) to remove finger prints and oils. If you do not clean the pipe, those 'spots' will stain the metal.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, William1 said:

Does not do anything. After you install the pipe, you want to clean it with a evaporating solvent (alcohol/benzine/brake parts cleaner, Vodka if you must) to remove finger prints and oils. If you do not clean the pipe, those 'spots' will stain the metal.

Thank you. This is pretty much all the information I found when I tried googling. Thinking about it, this might be what they meant.

If you can't think of a better use for vodka then you have bigger issues than stains on your pipes!

• Like 5

17 hours ago, YHGEORGE said:

If you can't think of a better use for vodka then you have bigger issues than stains on your pipes!

I wasn't too worried about it. Nothing lasts. I just thought it'd be cool to try out.

As for vodka, I quit all that stuff. It's not good for the power to weight ratio. Lol.