Oil Leak from Shifter Shaft?

Hello, just looking for some advice on where this oil leak can be coming from. It is around the shift shaft area, maybe a little to the left. After reading around on here a bit, I ordered a CS seal kit after I found the sprocket nut loose. I pulled the sprocket, noticed the area behind it was dry, and replaced the seal anyways. After riding a bit, I noticed I still had the leak. I could obviously tell it was not coming from the CS seal, as I cleaned that area good and it was still dry. Now my best guess is the shifter or the white piece to the left of the shifter(someone help me on what that is lol). Also there was a drop of oil on the washer around the shift shaft I wiped off earlier.

20170807_170749.jpg

20170807_170736.jpg

Not much of a leak. I suggest cleaning it and be positive it is from the shift shaft and not the gear position switch or the countershaft seal. While the cost for a shift shaft seal is not much, it is a PITA to change. Coolant, oil out, left case off, complete clutch removal, remove shift shaft, replace the seal and reassemble.

So, I'd make dead positive that is where it is leaking, if it is at all. Clean the area, ride 25 miles, shake a little baby powder over the area and look  for the highest point of the leak. No bike is ever 100% weep free.

13 hours ago, William1 said:

Clean the area, ride 25 miles, shake a little baby powder over the area and look  for the highest point of the leak. No bike is ever 100% weep free.

^ this. If it's just weeping, live with it. Clean and inspect it on occasion and only fix it when it leaves drops on the floor.

• 1 month later...