Still undecided

So I've decided to stick with a 2 stroke and I'm wondering if you guys can help me decide between a 2017 TC250 or a 2017 TX300. I'm looking to do some track riding on weekends and some not-so-tight to fairly open and in some places tight woods/atv trails, as well as logging road and some sand pit and jumps, also cruising sometimes with my friends and their utility quads.

I'm just not sure if I would really need a 6th gear, And I know it wouldn't be the same but I'm wondering if a tc250 with a 300 kit would perform similar to a tx300, even with the 5 speed transmission? Or would It sign off too early on the top end? I don't need to be revved out ALL the time, I like to ride the whole powerband from lug to screaming

300 gets my vote!  Can't beat the E-start!  I ride mostly MX track in the NW but bought the TX300 to ride Hare Scrambles.  I had FC go through my Suspension as it is a bit too soft for my Fat figure on a good MX track.  Now it has no problem on the track and is excellent off-road.   I'm an upper pack Vet B rider and have no problems in either situation, my CRF is quite a bit better on the track but beats the crap out of me off road.  If you can't make up your mind get the 300 and have it re-valved for MX.  BTW, I don't think I've used 6th gear yet.

My vote would have to be for the Husqvarna TX300. I have one and am VERY happy with it. The low cost of maintenance is a bonus...

20170702_085801.jpg

you will love the tx 300 it does everything well and you cant beat having electric start just budget for a vforce 4 reed valve to make the bike perfect.

7 hours ago, adamsavage said:

you will love the tx 300 it does everything well and you cant beat having electric start just budget for a vforce 4 reed valve to make the bike perfect.

what's the issue with stock Reed Valve?   I am picking up leftover 2017  TE250 this weekend..

for some reason the reed valves on the 2017s and my 2018 tx 300 cause a bit of throttle hesitation between a quarter and half throttle but dont let it put you off i absolutely love racing my tx 300 best bike i have had like i said just budget for the reed valve its not that expensive.

Thanks guys I'm gonna go with the tx300 after all. If there's any hesitation like you said I'll be sure to check out a new reed valve, I was also thinking about a Lectron carb

You will get more votes for the 300, it's a more popular bike in general. 

For the extra 2k in cost for the TX you'll get estart, heavier crank, heavier flywheel, 6speed, bigger tank, 18" rear, light, and mellower power delivery(via cdi, flywheel and head), if that is worth 2k to you buy it. If not there are killer deals on the TC's right now and you could be OTD for around 6,600USD. It's lighter, more powerful(yes, it runs much stronger then the 300's, 300 owners will say no but 90% have not rode a TC/SX) and you won't ever need a 6th gear because it will pull 14/48 gearing all day long. Suspension will likely be fitting out of the box. So based on your needs I think it would be a good fit. 

3 hours ago, adamsavage said:

for some reason the reed valves on the 2017s and my 2018 tx 300 cause a bit of throttle hesitation between a quarter and half throttle but dont let it put you off i absolutely love racing my tx 300 best bike i have had like i said just budget for the reed valve its not that expensive.

Likely because of your jetting(OEM needle?) and the rich #4 oem throttle slide not the reeds. 

For the extra 2k in cost for the TX you'll get estart, heavier crank, heavier flywheel, 6speed, bigger tank, 18" rear, light, and mellower power delivery(via cdi, flywheel and head), if that is worth 2k to you buy it. If not there are killer deals on the TC's right now and you could be OTD for around 6,600USD. It's lighter, more powerful(yes, it runs much stronger then the 300's, 300 owners will say no but 90% have not rode a TC/SX) and you won't ever need a 6th gear because it will pull 14/48 gearing all day long. Suspension will likely be fitting out of the box. So based on your needs I think it would be a good fit. 

Is the bottom end on a 300 really that much better than a 250? Or am I just overthinking and really all I could need is a 250, seeing as I ride mainly mid-range to open stuff and mx track, along with some woods riding and the occasional hillclimb

I actually really prefer mid range power over extreme top or bottom

If I saved some money going with the tc250 would It be worth it to just buy the 300 kit and maybe bigger tank? Would I be missing anything as most people say they never use 6th gear either on the track or the trails anyway
1 hour ago, Sateoronies said:

I actually really prefer mid range power over extreme top or bottom

They all very happy in the mid range. Since the TC is a MX model it will "hit" a bit harder, actually a lot harder. Running the green spring on the TC runs harder then the red in a TX/XC. They all need some jetting work at of the box, JD jetting is the most economical, install before riding it IMO. 

2 minutes ago, Sateoronies said:

If I saved some money going with the tc250 would It be worth it to just buy the 300 kit and maybe bigger tank? Would I be missing anything as most people say they never use 6th gear either on the track or the trails anyway

You could do a 300 kit, it would give it more grunt off the bottom, i'd ride it first, you'd probably be more then happy. Rockymtn has good prices on the TX/TE tanks which bolt right up or IMS has a offering, I have an IMS, great fit, 3.7 gallons. You defiantly will use 5th on the TC, but if youre running a 14T in front it has legs.

1 hour ago, Sateoronies said:

Is the bottom end on a 300 really that much better than a 250? Or am I just overthinking and really all I could need is a 250, seeing as I ride mainly mid-range to open stuff and mx track, along with some woods riding and the occasional hillclimb

The bottom is stronger but they tend to like to run lower in the rpm range, whereas the 250 is more happy to rev. Kind of works that way with all over-bores.

the tc 250 is a motocross bike there is no way it will  be as good as the tx 300 for woods riding its not designed for that on the race i did this sunday there were a lot of wooded sections which were steep ascents and descents and off camber as well and my tx300 is the most accurate and easy bike to ride almost like a mountain bike in how quick it turns and on the straights it is so fast but so controllable its unreal picture 4th gear flat out crossing ruts it just floats over them.one adjustment i found helps was screwing the powervalve out 1 turn but keeping the standard spring so you get more low down power and if you are climbing a gnarly hill you dont get the powervalve hit halfway up just strong drive from tickover.get the tx 300 you will not be disappointed.it will work out cheaper in the long run than trying to convert a motocross bike plus you get electric start.

Just started a thread on TC250 to 300 conversion. Then I started reading this post...

the tc 250 is a motocross bike there is no way it will  be as good as the tx 300 for woods riding its not designed for that on the race i did this sunday there were a lot of wooded sections which were steep ascents and descents and off camber as well and my tx300 is the most accurate and easy bike to ride almost like a mountain bike in how quick it turns and on the straights it is so fast but so controllable its unreal picture 4th gear flat out crossing ruts it just floats over them.one adjustment i found helps was screwing the powervalve out 1 turn but keeping the standard spring so you get more low down power and if you are climbing a gnarly hill you dont get the powervalve hit halfway up just strong drive from tickover.get the tx 300 you will not be disappointed.it will work out cheaper in the long run than trying to convert a motocross bike plus you get electric start.

Yeah you're right, I don't exactly wanna buy a brand new bike and start converting or adding things (besides the usual pipe&silencer). I'm gonna get the tx300, it seems perfect for my riding needs. I knew I wanted it all along I just wanted some reassurance, thanks for helping clear things up. I only have time to get to the dealership in a few weeks but I'll post an update once I get the bike and let you guys know what I think.

good luck with the new bike pm me when you get it and if you want i can help you with what works and what doesnt.

11 hours ago, adamsavage said:

Imagine if your bike but 15lbs lighter, it would feel even more like a mtb bike and turn even quicker. And you do realize MX 250's have been some of the most popular woods bikes in the last two or maybe three decades? Show up at most offroad races and you'll see YZ250s.. etc.. etc.. on the starting line of the pro and A classes. 

Any bike for woods use has the same needs; a bigger tank, spark arrestor, skid plate, you're going to need to change gearing for your terrain, handguards, etc.. what is the reason you cant put that on a motocross bike?

13 minutes ago, TommyB 754 said:

Imagine if your bike but 15lbs lighter, it would feel even more like a mtb bike and turn even quicker. And you do realize MX 250's have been some of the most popular woods bikes in the last two or maybe three decades? Show up at most offroad races and you'll see YZ250s.. etc.. etc.. on the starting line of the pro and A classes. 

Any bike for woods use has the same needs; a bigger tank, spark arrestor, skid plate, you're going to need to change gearing for your terrain, handguards, etc.. what is the reason you cant put that on a motocross bike?

I've won a lot of races on pure MX bikes with nothing more than a set of handguards, skidplate, suspension work and a big tank... Light, fast, nimble and simple...

You have a point but I'm not only looking for top end power for MX races I'm also looking for bottom end and cruising power. Would i be wrong in assuming that after putting all those parts into converting a pure mx bike into a do-it-all bike it would cost the same as a tx300 that already has all the parts and that I don't have to do the work on?