Still undecided

34 minutes ago, Sateoronies said:

You have a point but I'm not only looking for top end power for MX races I'm also looking for bottom end and cruising power. Would i be wrong in assuming that after putting all those parts into converting a pure mx bike into a do-it-all bike it would cost the same as a tx300 that already has all the parts and that I don't have to do the work on?

MX 250's are not all top end, they run the same as the offroad models but stronger everywhere. 

A TX300 would need all those parts also.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sateoronies said:

You have a point but I'm not only looking for top end power for MX races I'm also looking for bottom end and cruising power. Would i be wrong in assuming that after putting all those parts into converting a pure mx bike into a do-it-all bike it would cost the same as a tx300 that already has all the parts and that I don't have to do the work on?

Depends on the needs and the difference in price between the 2 bikes. A TC250 around my parts is $3k less than a TX300. In my position, both bikes will need a skidplate, handguards and suspension work. I also run a larger than stock tank with a drybreak... Keep in mind, only up to 10yrs ago, most people still used converted MX bikes offroad... 

• Like 1

My biggest concern is the gear ratios between the two, are they similar with the 300 just having an extra gear? Or are the gaps between gears different but still good for MX

I have a YZ250 and a TX300 and can tell you I prefer the TX300 as an all around bike if I HAD to choose one.  The YZ250 doesn't turn as well in the tight and has a harder to control power band even with a stealthy flywheel weight.  The YZ is just an on/off switch.  It may work in hare scramble race, but it is not pleasant for a weekend ride with the buddies.

The TX300 has it all and has the most pleasant powerband I have ever rode.  It can lug and work great in the tight, but can scream and pull like an MX bike in the mid/top.  The handling is superior as is the clutch, brakes and everything else bolted on compared to the YZ.  

To put the comparison in simple terms.  The TX is a much better MX bike than the YZ is a woods bike.  The TX does both better and with e-start.  If you think you need more power than a TX has...you are kidding yourself.

• Like 1

I'm in the market for a race bike for MX. Kind of a life goal thing as I close in on the 5-oh. BUT I'm also cheap-ish, lol.

Found a pretty solid buy on a low hour TC250. My concern though, is I really only want to race one or two events, just to

say "I did it" type of idea. Majority of my riding is trails/woods. Would the TX or orange XC fare well on a track? Because they sure would suit my

style of riding that will comprise the majority of my saddle time...

On 8/10/2017 at 8:29 AM, Sateoronies said:

My biggest concern is the gear ratios between the two, are they similar with the 300 just having an extra gear? Or are the gaps between gears different but still good for MX

If you can't get a TX 300 around the track properly, no MX bike is going to help you either... 

36 minutes ago, GRamg said:

I'm in the market for a race bike for MX. Kind of a life goal thing as I close in on the 5-oh. BUT I'm also cheap-ish, lol.

Found a pretty solid buy on a low hour TC250. My concern though, is I really only want to race one or two events, just to

say "I did it" type of idea. Majority of my riding is trails/woods. Would the TX or orange XC fare well on a track? Because they sure would suit my

style of riding that will comprise the majority of my saddle time...

Yes, the TX or XC is going to be excellent on the track...

47 minutes ago, Sateoronies said:

That explains nothing...

The TX300 has a close-ratio gearbox. It's essentially a MX style gear box but a lower 1st, or 6th gear is added on and the gearing moved down. You probably wouldn't know the difference between a TC or TX gearbox in terms of spacing unless you counted the gears... The TX is probably going to be a better bike on the track for 80% of the riders out there, and more so if they cross over between offroad and track... 

The TX300 has a close-ratio gearbox. It's essentially a MX style gear box but a lower 1st, or 6th gear is added on and the gearing moved down. You probably wouldn't know the difference between a TC or TX gearbox in terms of spacing unless you counted the gears... The TX is probably going to be a better bike on the track for 80% of the riders out there, and more so if they cross over between offroad and track... 

Thank you that's the answer I've been searching for, nobody's broken it down like you have.

I have a TC250 and ride only MX practice. Slow vet C.

I would get a TX with no hesitation even for more serious MX.

I'm in Daytona Beach area and each year got the GNCC guys coming practice before the FL event during bike week.

I've seen Ktm XC, XCW, Husaberg TE, Gas gas , Beta , all with the large tanks/18" rear wheels, "bad" gear ratio, side kickstand and headlights sometimes!

All of them had no problem keeping up with fast locals on a rather SX style course.

As fast and making all jumps/doubles.

I picked the TC because I was not planning heavy mods and wanted to stay within a budget but if I was to do it again, I would save more and get the TX.

The TC can be tamed down but it's still a rather hard hitting MX bike with suspension setup accordingly.

As pointed out by Monk, 80% (or more) won't eve notice the different gearing.

The TX is not a trail bike but a very well rounded "do it all" machine.

I had a 13 250 SX  KTM that I converted into a 300. I did the XC version rather than the SX. 

Trust me that was still a wild animal.....

MX bikes have become very high performance oriented and I am convinced not many of us (me at least) can really use them at their full potential

We just get wrapped up in the cool factor/performance specs/peer pressure.

And the TX will have better resale value I think.

It's all in the rider anyway: Last WE I saw a guy on a KX 250 (so at best 2007)

No graphics, a bit beat up, just a PC pipe and some numbers slapped with what looked like gold tape !!!

He was just hauling the mail and as fast as the 450 crowd. I mean it was very entertaining to see him spanking guys (me included) on modern/450 bikes.

If money is no issue, and based on what you plan, I would go for the TX with no second thought

If you pick a TC, you'll end up with something like that:

fmf1.JPG

• Like 1

One more vote for the TX 300. I love mine, it's very versatile and perfect suspension out of the box. The 6 speed close ratio is great in the woods and that 6th gear makes connecting trails much nicer. 

• Like 2

i have a te300 and its awesome. it really handles the woods really well and has a very smooth predictable motor. 10l tank and kickstand. the tx and the have the same motor exept for 1 and 2nd gears being lower on the TE. the tx has a plug for lights (just needs the headlight and taillight) and a kickstand. i love the 6 speed and find it perfect for everything. i have a crf250x and find the lack of 6th gear a real pain in the ass and its even a wide ratio. tx will have a higher resale value as well

• Like 2

On 8/7/2017 at 0:56 PM, Sateoronies said:

So I've decided to stick with a 2 stroke and I'm wondering if you guys can help me decide between a 2017 TC250 or a 2017 TX300. I'm looking to do some track riding on weekends and some not-so-tight to fairly open and in some places tight woods/atv trails, as well as logging road and some sand pit and jumps, also cruising sometimes with my friends and their utility quads.

I'm just not sure if I would really need a 6th gear, And I know it wouldn't be the same but I'm wondering if a tc250 with a 300 kit would perform similar to a tx300, even with the 5 speed transmission? Or would It sign off too early on the top end? I don't need to be revved out ALL the time, I like to ride the whole powerband from lug to screaming

Get the 6 speed