SinR1

RPM's won't come down

23 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

On a trip in Colorado with very limited internet access. So I can't search for this topic/ issue. 

Bike: 2017 390 RR-S 

But this issue just started today. While riding,  the rpm' s won't come down. The bike basically will continue to accelerate or hold speed when you let off the throttle. 

Sometime, the bike will also idle very high, but eventually come back down after a few seconds. But if I rec the bike, the same issue occurs again.

Not sure what to do. Tries to let the bike just idle for 5 mins, and it didn't help. 

Pretty much screwed right now since I'm only on day 2 of the trip...

Edited by SinR1

Posted (edited)

I live at 6400 feet and do most of my riding at 8000 or above. I live in Colorado and this what works on my 15 300RR.

Needle: N2ZK on the 2nd clip from the top, 35 Pilot, 160 main and the air screw 2 turns out. The first thing I would do is check the pilot for any type of crud.

Best of luck.

Rick

Edited by mcridr
opps

Doubt this is your problem but I had a similar issue when I first got my bike and realized quickly the throttle cable was getting hung up on a bolt when I turned the handle bars. But not sure your situation so just throwing anything out there. 

Posted (edited)

10 minutes ago, mcridr said:

I live at 6400 feet and do most of my riding at 8000 or above. I live in Colorado and this what works on my 15 300RR.

Needle: N2ZK on the 2nd clip from the top, 35 Pilot, 160 main and the air screw 2 turns out. The first thing I would do is check the pilot for any type of crud.

Best of luck.

Rick

After wondering which bike you are riding and after looking at your profile it looks like you are on a 390,430 4 stroke so the info I gave you is useless.

Edited by mcridr
opps

All good. Yeah, 2017 390 RR-S. I don't think it is the cable. I messed with it a bit on the trail to no avail. 

I will double check the other end though where it attaches to the throttle body. 

check the clamps on the air boot in front of the throttle body, the one right in front of it has been know to break or come loose.  If it's leaking air there it could cause your symptoms. 

Air leak:

- loose boots

- loose tps

Will it ever start and run at a normal idle?

1 hour ago, THE KRAN said:

Air leak:

- loose boots

- loose tps

Will it ever start and run at a normal idle?

When it starts, the RPMs jump up, but then comes back down and idles fine. 

But if I rev it, the RPMs hang up again and eventually come back down.

I will check the air boot and tps tomorrow. 

4 hours ago, SinR1 said:

On a trip in Colorado with very limited internet access. So I can't search for this topic/ issue. 

Bike: 2017 390 RR-S 

But this issue just started today. While riding,  the rpm' s won't come down. The bike basically will continue to accelerate or hold speed when you let off the throttle. 

Sometime, the bike will also idle very high, but eventually come back down after a few seconds. But if I rec the bike, the same issue occurs again.

Not sure what to do. Tries to let the bike just idle for 5 mins, and it didn't help. 

Pretty much screwed right now since I'm only on day 2 of the trip...

Takes more like 10-12 minutes to re-set the  stepper motor. 

Also be sure to not touch the throttle once started and shut it back off without ever touching it. 

To reset the ECU, you must start with a stone cold motor, and NO THROTTLE at all for 5-10 min, or until the left radiator gets up to 230+ degrees (it will probably boil over)

If that does not work, you probably have a bad stepper motor in the Throttle body

1 person likes this

Well, still didn't figure it out. But it looks like I'm leaking fuel from the injector (if that is  the part i took a picture of).

Not sure if this is this problem,  or just another issue.

20170808_110807.jpg

I have a similar issue but intermittent. 

Seems to be when my battery is low from many stalls and restarts. 

3 hours ago, SinR1 said:

Well, still didn't figure it out. But it looks like I'm leaking fuel from the injector (if that is  the part i took a picture of).

Not sure if this is this problem,  or just another issue.

20170808_110807.jpg

Ok I ran into this problem on another persons bike.

There is an oring on the injector, and a 'locking' tab that holds the injector body in place, with the oring being the only seal into the Throttle body.

If the oring was damaged during initial installation, it will eventuall leak, and suck air, causing a hanging idle.

Also, if the injector body is not held down tight (by it's locking screw) it will also leak/suck air, of if the injector body is damaged (cracked) it will not seal. 

I would not assume that residue is for sure a leaking Injector, until you clean it off and sprinkle some baby power in there, or just watch it for leaks.

You can also spray some solvent up in there to see if it gets 'sucked' in, but I'll be the problem, if that is it, is very intermitent, and probably require a load.

I bet it's the oring leaking.

In hope of saving the trip, there was one Beta dealer in Colorado that was a total help and almost help saved my trip. Sean at Mountain Tech Motorsports in Buena Vista took me in right away even though he was swamped. He took the time to go through everything the best he could trying several different solutions. Then he started to have software issues and eventually was unable to connect the computer to my bike. 

I think we came down to the TPS or the stepper motor. 

What sucks is he told me that Beta would not pay for his time to look at my bike because he did not resolve the issue. What total BS! 

So I drove all the way back to crappy Illinois and dropped it off at my dealer here today.  Talk about a vacation I want to forget about. Screwed out of my time and my condo rental money. And no bike to ride! 

Posted (edited)

Man, that sucks!  

A couple questions since I have the same bike. 

Did you try the ECU reset described by KRAN on your own before taking in the bike? 

How many miles are on the bike?  How many were on it before you left for your trip? 

Any mods to the bike?

Did you go down or crash on the trip or anything that may have affected throttle or fuel system? 

Did you happen to look at the black back mounting plates on the underside of your tank that are for your fuel pump and pickup?  Check for fuel weeping from these?  They are assembled pretty loose and might need a slight snug. 

Edited by firffighter

18 hours ago, firffighter said:

Man, that sucks!  

A couple questions since I have the same bike. 

Did you try the ECU reset described by KRAN on your own before taking in the bike? 

How many miles are on the bike?  How many were on it before you left for your trip? 

Any mods to the bike?

Did you go down or crash on the trip or anything that may have affected throttle or fuel system? 

Did you happen to look at the black back mounting plates on the underside of your tank that are for your fuel pump and pickup?  Check for fuel weeping from these?  They are assembled pretty loose and might need a slight snug. 

Yeah, did the reset when on the trail. No help. Another dealer told me to disconnect the batter cables, wait 5 seconds and then touch them together to clear out any charge left in the system (didn't work).

Bike has 23 hours on it. Only rode for maybe 4-6 hours or so on the trip. 

Only mod was the 3 gal tank that the dealer installed. Had a leak there previously,  but fixed that.

And had a couple falls, but nothing major. It was all in muddy slop at slow speed.

I had this issue and it was something different that what everyone else has mentioned. My error at about the same amount of hours as you have on yours.

After servicing the air filter I didn't get it seated back down completely in the air box. It looked good from the side that you put it in on, but the opposite side hadn't seated properly. Dirt got into the intake and coated one of the sensors in there so it couldn't do its job properly.  Once everything got properly cleaned and air filter got put in properly, the dealer did a reprogram on it and it's been good ever since.

I now take the seat off when I put the air filter back in to make sure it has seated all the way around.

7 hours ago, SinR1 said:

Yeah, did the reset when on the trail. No help. Another dealer told me to disconnect the batter cables, wait 5 seconds and then touch them together to clear out any charge left in the system (didn't work).

Bike has 23 hours on it. Only rode for maybe 4-6 hours or so on the trip. 

Only mod was the 3 gal tank that the dealer installed. Had a leak there previously,  but fixed that.

And had a couple falls, but nothing major. It was all in muddy slop at slow speed.

O.K., thank you for the feedback and please let us know what you find out.  That'd be greatly appreciated!  

I saw this thread the other day and didn't read it...

I installed a Scott's using a submount today and took the bike out this afternoon. While riding at a super slow speed the engine started revving on its own and I immediately hit the kill switch. Damn, I shoulda read that thread... Happened again and then a third time. Each time I hit the kill switch, got off the bike and looked everything over. Once I started it again up the problem went away. When it happened a fourth time I saw what was going on, maybe you can tell from this picture...
IMG_3295.JPG

Yup, the Scott's was grabbing the throttle cable. Felt kinda dumb.

Anyways, for the OP: good luck and let us know what you find...