Factory hand guards any good

my 1997 xr400 has never had the stock hand guards since I bought it used. I've been seeing pictures of some xrs with the stock hand gaurds and kind of liking to looks of them. I am thinking about buying some new ones from Honda, are they worth it?  Will they break off super easy?  

I think I'd like to have them just to have them because I'm starting to think about getting this bike back to like new all stock. 

Are the Acerbis plastic fenders any good vs the OEM Honda plastics. My rear fender has cracks in it and I'm thinking about replacing it so it like new. 

The OEM handguards are really just brush guards  - which is fine - not as good as barkbusters if you want full protection.

Acerbis are one of the best plastics you can get

Are they worth it, no.

Yes, they are super easy to bust.

I kind of figured the gaurds were just for show or maybe wind protection but I think I'd like to have some just so it has the looks like when new. I might just leave them off when going for a real ride. 

I might have to try a new rear Acerbis fender since it is cheaper as well. 

Last I looked the factory ones were discontinued and you can only now get one side.  For me, they work well, the high desert riding I usually do has pinon pine and juniper/cedar mostly so tree trunks are not a problem.

That's not good if they are discontinued. That was part of the reason I wanted to get them now because I wouldn't be surprised if they woukd be hard to find as these bikes get older. I looked them up on the Rocky Mountain and they show that you can backorder them so I figured they could still get them. Usually the sight shows discontinued if something isn't available. Maybe there website is wrong or else they are still available. I havnt ordered them yet. 

Short answer: No. 

Long answer: Nah. 

There's a reason those cheap factory guards were installed.
There CHEAP!
If your doing a full restoration/ show bike project, by all means find the originals. But from a reality stand point that's not practical. I have these on the XR4r and their sweet.
20170714_091429.jpg
20170714_091317.jpg
Good luck with your project. G.

I'm not sure how folks can be so quick to answer the question without knowing how/where you ride.  I would consider them insufficient for tight woods.  They will not adequately protect your hands.  They will certainly survive some but not all falls.  They will work fine for roost protection and light brush.

I mostly am concerned with getting back to the original look from the factory. I could care less about function because I've rode for years without any hand gaurds and never had a problem. I might not do it if they will break off with a simple tip over or would they be able to flex without breaking. 

There's a reason those cheap factory guards were installed.
There CHEAP!
If your doing a full restoration/ show bike project, by all means find the originals. But from a reality stand point that's not practical. I have these on the XR4r and their sweet.
20170714_091429.jpg.4b1066892fed3f0dfb25146396d2a357.jpg
20170714_091317.jpg.43d58d4cb0fa3ae34c18de3f184dd318.jpg
Good luck with your project. G.

I have those as well and they block they air nice for dual sport riding and come the big deflectors come off during the summer for cooling.