problem after changing gasket DR650SE

Help! What did I do wrong? Bike is a 93 DR650SE

The crankcase cover was leaking oil on the clutch side so I changed the gasket.

Everything seemed to go fine. The next day I took a test ride. After about 5 miles I stopped and checked for leaks.

No leaks but engine smelled hot. I let it cool down for 30-40 mins.

When I went to start it again it felt stiff to crank but started OK.

I rode to the nearest gas station to fill up but didn't make it there.

I started hearing a faint high pitch chirping which gradually grew lodger and became a high pitch scream.

I pulled off the rode and shut it off.

I have not attempted to start it again.

Engine will turn over when kicked so it is not ceased.

Any ideas?

-sbennett1298

Help! What did I do wrong? Bike is a 93 DR650SE

The crankcase cover was leaking oil on the clutch side so I changed the gasket.

Everything seemed to go fine. The next day I took a test ride. After about 5 miles I stopped and checked for leaks.

No leaks but engine smelled hot. I let it cool down for 30-40 mins.

When I went to start it again it felt stiff to crank but started OK.

I rode to the nearest gas station to fill up but didn't make it there.

I started hearing a faint high pitch chirping which gradually grew lodger and became a high pitch scream.

I pulled off the rode and shut it off.

I have not attempted to start it again.

Engine will turn over when kicked so it is not ceased.

Any ideas?

-sbennett1298

Have you checked the oil level properly per the manual? I'm assuming you had to do an oil change when you replaced the gasket or at least a top off?

The oil level is good. I put in two quarts after changing the gasket and it shows full in the site glass on the crankcase.

are you certain the gasket was the right part number? if a passage was blocked, oil flow could be restricted to some place

2 hours ago, plugeye said:

are you certain the gasket was the right part number? if a passage was blocked, oil flow could be restricted to some place

Both gaskets have the same holes. I know this because I traced the new gasket onto a sheet of cardboard and saved the pattern before installing.

OK mystery solved. The seized engine was not the result of anything I did changing the gasket.

I have since taken a close look at the oil I drained out when I changed the gasket and it was full of metal shavings.

This tells me the damage began before I replaced the gasket.

It looks like I damaged the engine by running with low oil before I discovered the gasket leak.

Dangit!

It's a 24 yr old bike.

If parts to repair are not available what other year engines will fit a 93 DR650?

-sbennett