How much should I spend on a good helmet?

I've worked all summer long to buy my first dirt bike, now it's time to get accessories most importantly a helmet.

I see these $40 helmets on amazon that claim they are DOT approved. What do you guys think? Should this be good enough to protect me if I take a hard fall.

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Motocross-Street-Hybrid-Helmet/dp/B008T4G9BS/ref=sr_1_9?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1502083811&sr=1-9&keywords=dirt+bike+helmet+with+face+shield

Also I forgot to add, I won't be riding on the streets. I am riding on off-road dirt trails. 

Edited by Milosh
I've worked all summer long to buy my first dirt bike, now it's time to get accessories most importantly a helmet.

I see these $40 helmets on amazon that claim they are DOT approved. What do you guys think? Should this be good enough to protect me if I take a hard fall.
https://www.amazon.com/Black-Motocross-Street-Hybrid-Helmet/dp/B008T4G9BS/ref=sr_1_9?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1502083811&sr=1-9&keywords=dirt+bike+helmet+with+face+shield

I'm not a helmet expert but i won't where a helmet thats not name brand but I usually spend $200-300 it's your brain it's very important

On the hiway not so sure a helmet will save you anyhow, in the dirt, spend some money!

Sent from my SM-G900V using ThumperTalk mobile app

It depends on how much you think your head is worth. 

I try to get a good deal on an end of the closeout that lists for $500.00+ myself.

6 hours ago, trackmaster said:

On the hiway not so sure a helmet will save you anyhow, in the dirt, spend some money!

Sent from my SM-G900V using ThumperTalk mobile app

Would you enjoy grinding your face along the bitumen at 60mph? Perhaps smacking your head onto the road after flipping through the air.

It's your head, protect it as best as you can.

If you are fast, push yourself, ride Mx and are known to crash, get the best helmet you can afford. I wear 6d helmets that are supposed to have the latest technology in concussion prevention. As your speed picks up, so does the danger level.

Sent from my XT1650 using ThumperTalk mobile app

All depends on how much your head means to you. But for me anything with the mips technology at the very least. After that my ankles so between helmet and boots I won't take any chances.

I'm a cheap bastard and I wouldn't wear one of those no name ebay helmets.  If you're really strapped for cash you can find a decent helmet from Fly or Answer for under $100.  That would work to get you started.

You also probably don't want that integrated face shield.  That's street bike (and adventure) stuff.  Buy a name brand helmet, and if you need to save a little check the closeout sections and buy an older model. 

4 hours ago, SatansReverence said:

Would you enjoy grinding your face along the bitumen at 60mph? Perhaps smacking your head onto the road after flipping through the air.

It's your head, protect it as best as you can.

Of course not! Riding a street bike through intersections scares the hell out of me, therefore I will not ride on the street. I did buy a very high end helmet for my road bicycle, but after getting blown off the road by texters, I bought a mt bike. You can have your road riding.

DOT is a min. government standard. Think about that. Look at manufacturers that are shooting way beyond that min. benchmark and buy the best helmet your budget will allow. Closeout lids are a good way to get  more bang for your buck. I wish that more took the time to actually learn about how a helmet is made before the buy it. For example, how many shell sizes do they use to accommodate the entire size range? If they are simply expanding (or shrinking) the EPS to get away with fewer shell sizes, that's a cost cutting measure. Of course, there's a lot more to it than this, but a prime example.

In the menu above, click on the "Articles" section and search on helmet. A few good articles in there on helmet safety designs & features.

Buy a Bell, the best Bell you can afford.  I've worn Bell since the early 70s, bought a Fly 6 years ago.  Guess what?  I'm back with a Bell as of the beginning of this year. ;)

Honestly, I would spare no expense when it comes to safety gear, especially helmets. I love my 6d and I actually got a pretty good deal because it was a closeout one. The graphic was the previous year's design but the helmet itself didn't change so that was fine by me.

Back in the early 1970's, I worked at a dealers. There was a sign:

"If you have a $10.00 head, buy a $10.00 helmet"

How much is your head worth? I think the cheapest helmet I have bought in the last few years was about $400.00, the most expensive close to a grand. I like my head, so do most other people.

get a good one, when you crash wich will happen at some point ridding dirtbikes, your gonna want to have the best helmet you can have on. Look for sales i got a fox v3 for like 200 when it is a 350 dollar helmet, make sure its snell approved the dot doesnt mean shit.

22 hours ago, Milosh said:

Also I forgot to add, I won't be riding on the streets. I am riding on off-road dirt trails. 

Ya IMO I see dirt bike helmets advertised in DIRT BIKE magazine for around $150 and they would be perfectly fine for your first helmet since they should be DOT/SNELL approved helmet for any time of riding you do and they all will be approved and this is speaking from experience

Then as they get more expensive its generally cus they are lighter and will have a few more safety/vent etc features.

The key thing is to NOT buy the helmet on line but go to a shop and actually try some on to see what fits correctly, then you can also see if the shop has some last year models on sale but there is a recommend 5 year replacement on helmets.

Then and again IMO good dirt bike boots (again go to a shop to try on) are as important if not more important that a less expensive helmet cus your feet are ALWAYS touching something  and ideally your head should never if rarely be touching the ground. If you do go down hard and hit your helmet, you should replace it.

Part of that whole process is if possible try and build a relationship with your local shop(s) cus again in my experience it can be invaluable. It says you live in the USA but where?

Then spend some $$ on elbow/knee/body protection cus you can spend $$$ on clothes later.

Dirt biking is an inherently dangerous sport and you at least know you need a helmet BUT the above is JUST my options.

Find a Shoei on closeout. Not caring about color can save even more $$. Bought a SHoie on closeout for $115 shipped once.

12 hours ago, kicknw1ng said:

make sure its snell approved the dot doesnt mean shit.

Being Snell doesn't necessarily mean you're safer in it on a street bike let alone a dirt bike. Do as much reading on helmet testing, research, and progress in technologies to make a truly informed decision. Here's an older article but it's still a good one to get people started in looking at what you think to be true just might not be! https://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/MotorcyclistHelmets.html BTW, look at the Kali Shiva,  and the research and technology has gone in to it, yet it is "only" a DOT helmet.

OP, I buy top quality helmets almost always at closeout prices. Got a $400 Klim F4 for $165 and my current $350 Kali Shiva 2.0 for $200. However, any DOT helmet from a reputable manufacturer will be at least a decent starting point. Do your research and make sure you buy one that actually fits properly!

$125. No more in my opinion. Although it is the most important price of gear, I guess it depends how many falls it will protect you from.

Sent from my couch using the moble app

Here's a good rule of thumb to follow. 

IQ X 2 = how much the minimum you should spend on a helmet.

Note:

The above formula takes natural selection into account.