Sumo Question

Does Anyone ride there street legal S/SM with 21/18 tire set?

I know that 21/18 tire set is for off road.

& the 17/17 tires are more ideal for street.

I hear the 21" tire is very narrow and not as pleasing in turns.

But I would like to run the off road wheel set and still commute on street with tires.

My intuition tells me I'm looking for a Dunlop D 606 are there any other ideal options?

Your insight is appreciated in advance

Thanks

The stock Bridgestone Trail Wings (TW 41 & 42) are very good for commuting.  They are rightfully called Death Wings when it comes to mud or deep sand.  You can find take offs at dealer, fleabay or C/L.  Tire pressure should not exceed 30psi, mid to upper 20s.

Shinko 705s too.

• Like 1

I run Kenda trackmasters that are dot. Just don’t lean too far but man is it nice off road.they are pretty cheap to replace

I had Shink 804/805 on my other wheelset and they worked surprisingly well on road but the round profile didn’t suit my needs off road

18 hours ago, GarveyTheGOAT said:

But I would like to run the off road wheel set and still commute on street with tires.

My intuition tells me I'm looking for a Dunlop D 606 are there any other ideal options?

Thanks

I'm currently running 100% street tires on my xr650l 21/18 .They are the Bridgestone battlax bt-45's. Handles great .Still looking to buy a 17inch wheel set from procycle.

Edited by turn8a

Thanks

What kind of off roading do you have in mind? This will determine the best wheel/tire combo. In general, 21 in front is standard off road equipment.

Sent from my SM-G930V using ThumperTalk mobile app

I commute using a set of Pirelli MT21. The 21" front is definitely slower in the change of direction but I still carve up the twisties on them almost as fast as my 675. Carry similar corner speed but the 675 has better stop and go. You get used to the squirming from the knobs. They do not grip well in the wet but that just means more practise in riding at (or over) the limit of traction.

I switched to the 17" wheels for a week and went back to the 21/18 set because the taller height makes filtering between cars so much easier.