Jd jet question

Hey guys so after installing the 45 pilot 175 main and blue needle 3rd clip my bike has ran a whole lot betta. Is 45 pilot lean for sea level?

No that should be good. But you should be using the Red Needle for sea level. Unless you are in Alaska and it's below 40 degrees out.

I ride at 300ft above sea level and I have the 45 pilot 172 main because it's in the 80's here and humid and use the Red Needle in the 2'nd clip position.

As the Temps start to cool some

Say to the upper 70's and the Humidity drops some,That's when I go back up a size in main jet to a 175.

I don't never use the Blue needle cause I never ride below 40 degrees.

Sent from my SM-G950U using ThumperTalk mobile app

If it runs good it is probably fine.  Just follow the directions for the steps for leaner or richer until in runs well.  I have never used one on a YZ, but it was a straight-forward process with other bikes.  You can also email or call JD himself.  He answers emails almost immediately.  

5 hours ago, CaptainKnobby said:

No that should be good. But you should be using the Red Needle for sea level. Unless you are in Alaska and it's below 40 degrees out.

I ride at 300ft above sea level and I have the 45 pilot 172 main because it's in the 80's here and humid and use the Red Needle in the 2'nd clip position.

As the Temps start to cool some

Say to the upper 70's and the Humidity drops some,That's when I go back up a size in main jet to a 175.

I don't never use the Blue needle cause I never ride below 40 degrees.

This is an inaccurate understanding of the blue and red needle. In 2 strokes the needles are used interchangeably and give you 10 levels of adjustment instead of 5. They go red blue red blue red blue etc etc. I live in New England and ride at sea level to 2000 feet and its been between 70-85 degrees and I'm running the blue needle, 2 clip from top with a 45 pilot and a 175 main. It runs amazing. I run my bikes a CH on the rich side. This bike has zero spooge and power for days. Just read the handout with the needles next time.

• Like 3

This is an inaccurate understanding of the blue and red needle. In 2 strokes the needles are used interchangeably and give you 10 levels of adjustment instead of 5. They go red blue red blue red blue etc etc. I live in New England and ride at sea level to 2000 feet and its been between 70-85 degrees and I'm running the blue needle, 2 clip from top with a 45 pilot and a 175 main. It runs amazing. I run my bikes a CH on the rich side. This bike has zero spooge and power for days. Just read the handout with the needles next time.

As he said^^^^^^***

The needles are made a 1/2 clip setting apart from each other. Alternate colours while testing to fine tune it or for weather/altitude changes.

Thanks I really appreciate it. You know I have this bike up on Craigslist but I put so much work and effort into it I think I'm just going to keep it.

The X is a really good bike. I thought about getting rid of my X. Buy a brand new shiny Beta, but i keep coming back to and asking "Do I need it?"  The KYB SSS suspension is superb out of the box, and when its sprung right its the best off the shelf setup you can get. If you can outride the KYB SSS and don't think its up to par, send it off to Factory Connection and have literally perfect suspension.

"It isn't the newest tech, it isn't the coolest looking, It doesn't have estart, it doesn't have a 6th gear"

Then I take it out on the trail, it does everything I need it too and has more power than I ever could use. E start would be nice, but its never any trouble to start. I don't ride open enough trails to need the 6th gear. I think the YZ, while a dated frame and body, still looks damn good parked in my garage.

There is a reason the only bikes at a hare scramble next to KTM's and a handful of Beta's are YZ250s and YZ250Xs. They are damn good two strokes and just as capable as any KTM, and 2 to 3 grand cheaper.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, YZF1825 said:

Hey guys so after installing the 45 pilot 175 main and blue needle 3rd clip my bike has ran a whole lot betta. Is 45 pilot lean for sea level?

If you don't mind me asking, what came with your JD Jet Kit?

I know it comes with the blue & red needles. Probably 4 main jets (how many mains?). 

What about pilots? Did your kit have any pilot jets in it (if so, how many? sizes?).

I'm just curious. I was going to order a couple of mains, pilots and a Suzuki needle or two. But if the YZX jet kit comes with everything you need......

I have been generally pleased with the one I bought for my KTM (although it did not come with a pilot. They recommend the stock one).

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

It came with 4 or 5 main and one pilot..a 45. 2 needles and a clip.

3 hours ago, dmrogers said:

If you don't mind me asking, what came with your JD Jet Kit?

I know it comes with the blue & red needles. Probably 4 main jets (how many mains?). 

What about pilots? Did your kit have any pilot jets in it (if so, how many? sizes?).

I'm just curious. I was going to order a couple of mains, pilots and a Suzuki needle or two. But if the YZX jet kit comes with everything you need......

I have been generally pleased with the one I bought for my KTM (although it did not come with a pilot. They recommend the stock one).

Thanks in advance.

I know that's how I feel about this bike.

Okay guys I need a little help here. I just took the bike out for a spin. Jetting is as follows, 175 main 45 pilot and blue needle 3rd clip. Ya I jetted it per the instructions for colder weather afraid to make it too lean but I feel like it lost power in the top, it idles great but I think is defiantly running rich. The old jets were a 180 a 50 and the stock needle on the leanest setting and the spark plug looked good. I pulled it after shutting her down at a high speed and the plug was black with black in the center of the electrode even. Where should I start, go to the red needle 3rd clip or 172 main or both? 172 45 3rd clip red needle is recommended jetting for sea level.

28 minutes ago, YZF1825 said:

Okay guys I need a little help here. I just took the bike out for a spin. Jetting is as follows, 175 main 45 pilot and blue needle 3rd clip. Ya I jetted it per the instructions for colder weather afraid to make it too lean but I feel like it lost power in the top, it idles great but I think is defiantly running rich. The old jets were a 180 a 50 and the stock needle on the leanest setting and the spark plug looked good. I pulled it after shutting her down at a high speed and the plug was black with black in the center of the electrode even. Where should I start, go to the red needle 3rd clip or 172 main or both? 172 45 3rd clip red needle is recommended jetting for sea level.

Blue need second clip from top, this drops the needle down and leans it out a tad more than 3rd clip. This should help clear up your problem. The plug chop test has to be down with a hot motor, and a fresh plug. If you ride around for half a day, then do a plug chop you will get a false reading.

Warm motor up to operating/riding temp (hot to the touch)

Set air screw

install new plug, and confirm fresh filter, fresh fuel

Get on a piece of straight away, bang through gears and plug chop at 3/4 to WOT. You want a good couple seconds at WOT, if you dont feel its too lean, Id say a good 30. People say to coast, but I just WOT then pull the clutch and kill it. Then brake to a stop sensibly. Then check your plug. That will give you the best Main Jet reading.

That would be leaner than the red needle 3rd clip tho right?

Okay I just removed the blue and installed red 3rd clip but was only able to kick it over since it got dark..gonna have to wait till tomorrow.

I running the same jetting as NEGbrap in my 2016 Yamaha 250X.  I like the blue needle with the clip in the 2nd position,175 main, 45 pilot. Between 0 to 1000 ft elevation.

7 hours ago, YZF1825 said:

That would be leaner than the red needle 3rd clip tho right?

Yes, you want leaner than that red needle as you are describing a RICH condition.

Yes, you want leaner than that red needle as you are describing a RICH condition.

I don't that's leaner. The Red Needle itself is leaner than the Blue needle.
So if he had it with the Blue Needle in 2nd clip,That's richer than Red Needle in 3rd clip.
As long as he is around 300ft elevation and running 170 main with a 45 pilot it will be fine with Red Needle in 2nd clip.
This does good all the way up to 1200ft elevation with Temps in the 70's on up.
Just remember though.....when the Temps cool down jet richer,like move up to a 172 main or 175.

10 hours ago, CaptainKnobby said:

I don't that's leaner. The Red Needle itself is leaner than the Blue needle.
So if he had it with the Blue Needle in 2nd clip,That's richer than Red Needle in 3rd clip.
As long as he is around 300ft elevation and running 170 main with a 45 pilot it will be fine with Red Needle in 2nd clip.
This does good all the way up to 1200ft elevation with Temps in the 70's on up.
Just remember though.....when the Temps cool down jet richer,like move up to a 172 main or 175.

I don't have the JD chart in front of me, but that doesn't make sense. It goes leaner to richer from top clip (1) to bottom clip (5). The important part is FROM the top. 1 from top is first clip, 2 from top is second clip.

• RED 2
  • BLUE 2
  • RED 3
  • BLUE 3
  • RED 4
  • BLUE 4

Red 3 can not be leaner than Red 2 or Blue 2, regardless of the taper the clip is a whole step up. With the tip of needle point down clip 2 is SECOND from the top. The farther the needle is in the main jet the leaner the circuit is. Regardless of all that, I literally am running the same setup in a stock YZ250X at the same temps and elevation. Sidenote - I tried the NECJ in the YZ and did not like it as much as the JD. Worse bottom end, but really good top end. More of a motocross/fast harescramble set up. Blue needle 2nd clip, 175 main and a 45 pilot runs awesome for trail/technical single track. I err on the side of rich too.

needle clip.gif

Edited by NEGbrap
  • Like 1

Yeah your right. I was just saying the Blue needle is the richer needle that's for colder/Higher elevation Temps.
I never used my Blue one. I don't ride below 40 degrees anyways and all my riding is done below 3000ft elevation also.
With that said......All I use is my Red Needle and just raise the clip as the Temps get Hotter and more Humid, use bigger or smaller jets according to the elevation I will be riding.

39 minutes ago, CaptainKnobby said:

Yeah your right. I was just saying the Blue needle is the richer needle that's for colder/Higher elevation Temps.
I never used my Blue one. I don't ride below 40 degrees anyways and all my riding is done below 3000ft elevation also.
With that said......All I use is my Red Needle and just raise the clip as the Temps get Hotter and more Humid, use bigger or smaller jets according to the elevation I will be riding.

Eh actually that it isn't exactly 100% true. The first taper of the red is def leaner, but the needles really are designed to span the gap between each clip. Each is half a clip more if you go red blue red blue. So instead of having 5 clips worth of adjustment, you have 10. Does that make sense?

Edited by NEGbrap
  • Like 1

Negbrap, has described exactly what is on the instruction sheet.

The needles are the same but with a 1/2 clip difference Accross the entire needle.

I believe Captainknobby you are incorrect thinking the blue needle is only for cold weather. It provides a 1/2 step between the 2 red clip position.

IMG_8957.JPG