pw50 wont stay running

Hi i have a 2006 pw50 i just bought cleaned the carb changed the ignition coil has good spark good compression just hard to start and when it does wont stay running dies right out any ideas what the problem is please help tomorrow i will check the reeds

If u have spark n compression it must be the fuel delivery system. First ensure fuel is entering the carb by removing the fuel drain screw on the bottom of the float bowl to see if fuel comes out. If it does then remove the carb n check the floats n fuel valve. If I recall correctly the floats on PW50's are not adjustable so just check to make sure the floats are not cracked n filling with fuel (they have to be air tight or they won't be buoyant)

How did u clean the carb? You'll need to use compressed air to blow thru all the orifices n thru the jets. It sounds like u have a clogged pilot jet (this jet is responsible for the idle circuit up until approximately 1/4 throttle), if it is clogged at all the bike will be very difficult to start n run correctly. Remove the pilot n main jets n blow compressed air thru them (u can by compressed air in a van if u don't have a compressor) then look thru them into a light to see if u can see all the way thru. If not you'll need to use a very small diameter piece of wire to clean them. Check the holes in the sides of the jets too they are also important.

I've owned 3 or 4 of these throughout the years they are very simple and extremely reliable. Let us know if u get it running right or if u need more help

Sent from my SM-G930P using ThumperTalk mobile app

The only problem I ever had with a PW50 running poorly was when one had a bad primary coil. Your issue is likely some unseen dirt in the carb hopefully

Thanks for the advice cleaned the carb and jets with compressed air i will go threw it again also check the fuel valve and the floats also will try a new plug so you dont think it might be bad reeds?

17 minutes ago, delawhere said:

The only problem I ever had with a PW50 running poorly was when one had a bad primary coil. Your issue is likely some unseen dirt in the carb hopefully

by primary coil do you mean the stator or the ignition boot coil?

Thanks for the advice cleaned the carb and jets with compressed air i will go threw it again also check the fuel valve and the floats also will try a new plug so you dont think it might be bad reeds?

Sorry I should have been more clear. Stator, it's under the flywheel. Mine was only like 10 or 15 ohms out of spec so didn't think it was an issue. It even had spark when I tested it but somehow it either wasn't powerful enough of a current or when it was running the heat would effect the coils performance... don't really know. When all else failed I just said "what the heck" n replaced it. It ran like a champ after that n had no more problems with that one.

thanks for all the help i re cleaned the carb blew out the petcock cleaned the start run switch and put a new plug in it now it purrs like a kitten :goofy: