Any personal reviews on the new 18' gasgas ec 300?

So how is it

They look increible in person, they feel light and built quality is top notch. They are almost 1.5k cheaper than ktm /husqvarnas over here. The only thing i dislike is the electric starter design its like the old ktms. I've not ridden it yet but im keen to try one.

Sent from my SM-G935F using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 1

The frame is a KTM copy and even made by WP who makes KTM's frames. The KYB's are a great base, although Yamaha has their SSS system as a proprietary valving setup and it will take a tuner to unlock it fully. Gas Gas always had a great engine, although it is getting dated and the e-start was an afterthought. Dealers and distribution in the US are having to start all over again so it will be for the brave souls to give it a go. I would imagine Gas Gas still has a legion riders left that will give it a try. It was a bold move to come out stragiht away with an XC model, that is likely to be the volume sales leader.

http://www.cyclenews.com/2017/08/article/2018-gasgas-ecxc-300-full-test/

http://dirtbiketest.com/fresh-dirt/riding-impression-2018-gas-gas-ec-and-xc-300/#QPuEkwqjmWmh3SdU.97

I'm a bit suspicious that you may really have your eye on a Beta, is that why you are asking the question over here?

2018-Gas-Gas-300-intro-1.jpg

I'd seriously consider the new GasGas. I know the build quality has come along way from my old Gasser trials bike to the new one, I can only imagine that it's even better under the new ownership. Kayaba suspension is a big deal, although I really like the suspension on my 300 race edition. The 'zokes get a bad rap, but have been solid for me and I ended up ditching the Sachs shock for a Fox. 

As far as parts availability, Lewisport has been able to get me whatever I needed on my trials bikes. They ship too, so not a big deal. 

The biggest negative I see with the GasGas is resale value...the enduro bikes always go super cheap on Craigslist. Time will tell if they become more desirable...there was a time when you couldn't give a used Beta away, because people thought they were too "exotic." Now, they almost bring KTM level prices. I never really cared about resale, as any bike isn't going to be worth a lot when I'm done with it...

• Like 3

What Sierra_rider said.  And I did seriously consider the new GasGas, but their new pricing seemed excessive (high) and a SW Beta dealer made me a deal I didn't refuse on a '17 300RR Race.  I'm all about riding something different than the rest of the herd, and have followed GG's rise from the ashes very closely over the past year.  But, ultimately, I'm VERY happy with my new Beta yet do wonder what else the GG could offer.  For $1,500 less, however, the choice to go with a tried and true new Beta was relatively easy.  Perhaps I'll scoop up a used '18 GG in a couple years...

• Like 1

I like Gasgas ..I'm happy they're back. Price is definitely going to make a difference especially with the older style estart... and being new. Gasgas is back to reestablishing trust. Guys buy yzx 250s and they don't even have an estart or 6th gear.  I'd think a new Gasgas is a decent buy if the dealer network is solid. Parts have to be gotten fast and easy. Etc. I don't know how that is with Gasgas but I'm betting they are eager to show they are viable. With Beta I have more confidence than having Yamaha, Ktm, Husky ,Sherco etc. parts and service is better for me with Beta. Is there a warranty with Gasgas?

7 hours ago, mtnmanseth said:

What Sierra_rider said.  And I did seriously consider the new GasGas, but their new pricing seemed excessive (high) and a SW Beta dealer made me a deal I didn't refuse on a '17 300RR Race.  I'm all about riding something different than the rest of the herd, and have followed GG's rise from the ashes very closely over the past year.  But, ultimately, I'm VERY happy with my new Beta yet do wonder what else the GG could offer.  For $1,500 less, however, the choice to go with a tried and true new Beta was relatively easy.  Perhaps I'll scoop up a used '18 GG in a couple years...

That's what I did picking up my 01 Gasgas 300 ec. Used and a bit ratty .,,fixed it up...Great bike.. ahead of its time to me. It's still a great bike. It just doesn't have estart. Beta is the best overall considering.. 

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

On 8/8/2017 at 6:29 PM, Johnny Depp said:

The frame is a KTM copy and even made by WP who makes KTM's frames. The KYB's are a great base, although Yamaha has their SSS system as a proprietary valving setup and it will take a tuner to unlock it fully. Gas Gas always had a great engine, although it is getting dated and the e-start was an afterthought. Dealers and distribution in the US are having to start all over again so it will be for the brave souls to give it a go. I would imagine Gas Gas still has a legion riders left that will give it a try. It was a bold move to come out stragiht away with an XC model, that is likely to be the volume sales leader.

http://www.cyclenews.com/2017/08/article/2018-gasgas-ecxc-300-full-test/

http://dirtbiketest.com/fresh-dirt/riding-impression-2018-gas-gas-ec-and-xc-300/#QPuEkwqjmWmh3SdU.97

I'm a bit suspicious that you may really have your eye on a Beta, is that why you are asking the question over here?

2018-Gas-Gas-300-intro-1.jpg

You know lots of Beta riders are ex Gasgas guys.. and some still like the brand and still have a gasgas. I'd bet it's good. All the 300 2t bikes for sale of all brands are good. It's just personal preference.. and price lots of times. I hope gasgas makes a decent bike and it works out.. More bikes at the races are a good thing to me. 

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

On 8/8/2017 at 2:38 AM, RaynerMatar94 said:

I own a 16' te 250 and im planning to buy a new bike for 2018. I saw the new gasser yesterday and it looks awesome. What are yoyr thoughts on thess bikes?

So are Betas for sale there? How much do those go for? How is your TE going?  .. What are the prices for the different bikes in that 300 2 stroke enduro class?

8 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

The bike seems to look good though..:excuseme: .. I'd still buy a Beta personally .. but hey if you like the dealer and the bike looks good and you'll get a good deal.. then you can report back to us on how you like it.. .

Nice video!  Well we know it doesn't boil over easily!  Good looking bike!

• Like 1

So are Betas for sale there? How much do those go for? How is your TE going?  .. What are the prices for the different bikes in that 300 2 stroke enduro class?

Betas cost around 10,800, the gasser 10,500, Ktm exc's and Husky Te cost 11,500 - 12,000. The best dealership in my opinion are betas and gasgas (same dealer). Best prices in parts and bikes, and best payment options.
Im concerned about gasgas resale value and parts availability. But im in love with the bike. Excellent components.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RaynerMatar94 said:

Betas cost around 10,800, the gasser 10,500, Ktm exc's and Husky Te cost 11,500 - 12,000. The best dealership in my opinion are betas and gasgas (same dealer). Best prices in parts and bikes, and best payment options.
Im concerned about gasgas resale value and parts availability. But im in love with the bike. Excellent components.

Gasgas has a long tradition of having bad resale but it's not bad if you plan on keeping your bike a long time. I have an old Gasgas 300 that's a good bike but actually almost seems worth nothing to sell . Get it if your eyes are wide open on what you are getting. To me there's a couple of things that stand out. New company, great heritage of enduro bikes, that old style estart, the forks, and that it is sort of copying Ktm styling. I'm hoping it comes with a kicker which the other brands are retarded for getting rid of. I'd be concerned with parts .. I figure the bikes are good . They always have been good. They just compare to their own older models for improvement . Get it if you like it . Life is short. That being said I'd still buy a Beta. Just for the improved starter.. It's why I went to Beta in the first place. That 16' Ktm and Gasgas older style estart just gives problems. I will say that locally Gasgas estart didn't seem to break down as much but maybe it's because there weren't many Gasgas bikes. If I'd guess how it would be for you if you bought this bike I'd think you'd have a bad resale bike that works well in the trail that you might like that you'd get at a good price  . I'd figure you'd have estart problems at some time but maybe not for a long while. That's one of the questions. You'll have an interesting bike that no one else has.. or very very few. Get it if it works for you. I like my Beta because I analyzed the hell out of all my choices . After that it's just sitting on your bike and not feeling you would rather be riding another bike. 

I've ridden the 18 ec300.  I really like the new motor.  Very linear power.  I have one on preorder that should be here in a few weeks.  It wont replace my beta as i'm keeping that one too.  GasGas will be my new woods weapon.  They are night and day over the older gasser bikes.

• Like 3

Seen a few new gas gas here in the uk, I was on the same minute as one at a recent enduro, the rider was kick starting it, asked why and he said the starter broke after 5 rides. he said the suspension was awesome brilliant bike apart from the starter.

• Like 3