WR 250-R vs KTM ECX-F

I'm new to the motorcycle scene, so please be a little bit forgiving as I don't know a whole lot. I'm looking for a dual sport capable of doing more than just trail riding ie. jumps, powerslides, etc... so low end torque and stiff suspension are obviously a must, I've narrowed my choices down to these two bikes. The obvious answer would be to buy a KTM, but The Yamaha with some mods is nearly as capable as the KTM with some mods, and it has a much more forgiving maintenance schedule (oil change intervals, valve checks etc..) and the initial purchase price of the KTM is over my budget.

My question is: If i buy a WR, and modify the suspension, exhaust and throw in a programmer... will I have to do a similar maintenance schedule to that of the KTM? Or is the only reason the KTM's schedule is so anal is because of the smaller oil capacity? or is it because the KTM's schedule is meant for dirt riding whereas the Yamaha's is meant for street? I'd appreciate if somebody can clarify this confusion. Thanks. 

If I can make the WR nearly as capable as the KTM and with less maintenance then my decision of which bike to buy will be clear.

41 minutes ago, Pinkman said:

I'm new to the motorcycle scene, so please be a little bit forgiving as I don't know a whole lot. I'm looking for a dual sport capable of doing more than just trail riding ie. jumps, powerslides, etc... so low end torque and stiff suspension are obviously a must, I've narrowed my choices down to these two bikes. The obvious answer would be to buy a KTM, but The Yamaha with some mods is nearly as capable as the KTM with some mods, and it has a much more forgiving maintenance schedule (oil change intervals, valve checks etc..) and the initial purchase price of the KTM is over my budget.

My question is: If i buy a WR, and modify the suspension, exhaust and throw in a programmer... will I have to do a similar maintenance schedule to that of the KTM? Or is the only reason the KTM's schedule is so anal is because of the smaller oil capacity? or is it because the KTM's schedule is meant for dirt riding whereas the Yamaha's is meant for street? I'd appreciate if somebody can clarify this confusion. Thanks. 

If I can make the WR nearly as capable as the KTM and with less maintenance then my decision of which bike to buy will be clear.

Wr250f or wr250r? 

The current model wr250f is great off the showroom with a derestrict. The other Yamaha is not a KTM competitor. Not in the least.

• Like 2

Yeah, I'm talking about the WR 250-R, and comparing it to a KTM with the same CC. The main differences that I know of is the KTM is lighter with a smaller oil capacity and im assuming already comes with racing tier suspension, ecu, etc...

9 hours ago, Pinkman said:

Yeah, I'm talking about the WR 250-R, and comparing it to a KTM with the same CC. The main differences that I know of is the KTM is lighter with a smaller oil capacity and im assuming already comes with racing tier suspension, ecu, etc...

Why are you so set on the WR-R?

For your hit list "jumping and power slides" the WR-R isnt as good as a stock WR-F or KTM. It is in the same clas as a KLX250 or CRF250L? No idea what the rules are in Quebec, but here in Aus the WR250F is street legal and competes directly with the 250EXC-F.

To me, it sounds like you have been reading posts about the WR250F in that it can be just as capable (or arguably more so to some) than the KTM. The KTM is about 20KG lighter than the WR250R also. 20KG cant be lost off a bike and is considerable. The WR-R suspension could be set up no doubt, rims are probably not the slightly higher grade that comes on WR250F, hubs IDK, engine WR is down on power.

Now, I'm not shitting on he WR-R. If I had to do a trip where I needed the bike to survive distance travel I'd take the WR-R out of these three listed bikes. If I wanted it to hold up to offroad abuse, accelerate and handle well I'd take the WR250F or the KTM. It sounds like you wanna have a good time offroad. So buy the bike that does it off the showroom.

Used WR-Fs are very common and affordable. You could buy one and set it up is my advice. They are also very reliable and you do the same mods that you would to wake up an R and it'll make an F a great handling, responsive bike.

Or just buy the cheapest dual sport, learn to ride and upgrade to a WR450F, which will have some serious grunt for road trail ? 

adventure250.jpg

1Q2A9697.jpg

• Like 4

I just wanna be able to do stuff like this:

I'm afraid if I buy a KTM it would be a little overkill especially with how much they cost initially and in maintenance.

Im so set on the WR because it's affordable and doesn't need as much maintenance as the KTM. If a WR can do what's in the video, why waste an extra couple thousand to buy a KTM?

Also I'm sort of against buying a bike I know I won't wanna keep in the future, it might be good for me to learn but I just can't see myself doing it.

[/url]  

I'm afraid if I buy a KTM it would be a little overkill especially with how much they cost initially and in maintenance.

Im so set on the WR because it's affordable and doesn't need as much maintenance as the KTM. If a WR can do what's in the video, why waste an extra couple thousand to buy a KTM?

Also I'm sort of against buying a bike I know I won't wanna keep in the future, it might be good for me to learn but I just can't see myself doing it.

An experienced rider can do that on a Harley Sportser. Buy the R and have a great time. Btw, do you believe in Darwinism?

Sent from my XT1650 using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Pinkman said:

The guy has a 1000 dollar exhaust on his cheaper bike, and spent $$$ on the suspension. and he still has less performance and suspension than a stock current WR250F. Sure. he hit some nice jumps on the WR-R, it shows it's possible and it is after a bunch of mods.

If you like serious dirt riding or wanna move up from a 250, you will eventually sell the WR-R and get an EXC, thus contradicting your final sentence?

This video is of a bog stock 2005 WR250F which can be had for nix, and the rider substituted it for his YZ250F which was being rebuilt. It is surprisingly competitive against full MX competition bikes. 

Its all good if you really want a WR-R, but if your riding is more dirt focused why not buy a more dirt focused bike? To prove with your own money to us that a WR-R isnt so bad after all?

Edit: back to your OP:

If i buy a WR, and modify the suspension, exhaust and throw in a programmer... will I have to do a similar maintenance schedule to that of the KTM? Or is the only reason the KTM's schedule is so anal is because of the smaller oil capacity? or is it because the KTM's schedule is meant for dirt riding whereas the Yamaha's is meant for street? I'd appreciate if somebody can clarify this confusion. Thanks. 

The WR will be competent, but not ever "nearly as good" as a KTM. It's still 20KG heavier which is huge, 12KG on the Yamaha. Guys complain about 5kg more in "competitive" bikes. The WR still will have a more lax schedule, KTM's schedule is anal because it has a smaller oil capacity, makes almost twice the power and revs 4K more.

PS GYTR programmer is $400, springs about 100 per end, revalve maybe 2-400 an end, exhaust 800-100. So add 2K to the cost of the WR-R.

Edited by BushPig

A riding buddy had a wr250r and rode it hard. He had a exhaust, tuner, suspension and all the free mods. We would have to wait for him at the cross roads about a minute or so. At the end of the day he was a little tired. Demo rode other more endure bikes and he thought we were cheating. Last fall he picked up a endure bike and now his riding skill has improved greatly and we don't wait for him anymore. One thing you can't beat with the Yamaha is the dualiblity. Flip side any of the newer KTM type bikes can go a while before any real costly maintenance is needed. Most of these European bikes need clean oil, filter, gas and valve check 20 hr, 100hr, 150hr but that's it. In the long run you will be better off with the KTM if you can get over the cost. Plus the fun factor will be higher. As posted above the wr250r is not in the same class as a KTM type bike.

Edited by weantright
  • Like 2

As others have said, get the wrf or ktm exc as they are both great enduro machines.

Those wrr bikes are ok if you want to ride slow and enjoy the scenery but you will soon become frustrated with it and wish for a lighter, more powerful bike.

As your a beginner you will be dropping the bike countless times whilst you find your feet and trust me, the 20kg of weight difference will ruin you to the point that you may even consider giving up on biking. Picking up a lighter machine saves so much energy.

Oil changes are quick and easy on these bikes so I wouldn't let that put you off a more race orientated machine

• Like 3

If you modify a WR250R like you are talking about, you'll still have long maintenance periods you are looking for.  A pipe & a tuner (done correctly) will not make the valves need adjusting more, etc.

But ... riding the bike harder than was intended will require some attention, like in the video where the guys head light and fender came loose.  Also, if you are riding slower speeds, at higher rpms, in dusty conditions, you should do more oil changes and check the air filter often ... but those intervals would still be less frequent than on a KTM.

If you try to turn the WR250R into a KTM EXC or WR250F (which you can't really do), you will be spending money that you will not get back.  Meaning, if you put ~$2K in after market stuff on the WR-R and then decide to sell it, those mods might even turn people off to the bike.  Like they think it has been ridden hard, abused, etc.  

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 0:00 PM, usedtobefast said:

If you modify a WR250R like you are talking about, you'll still have long maintenance periods you are looking for.  A pipe & a tuner (done correctly) will not make the valves need adjusting more, etc.

But ... riding the bike harder than was intended will require some attention, like in the video where the guys head light and fender came loose.  Also, if you are riding slower speeds, at higher rpms, in dusty conditions, you should do more oil changes and check the air filter often ... but those intervals would still be less frequent than on a KTM.

In those conditions it doesn't matter what brand you have changing air filter and oil is a must and at the same low hrs. frequency.

• Like 1