Rear shock for 1982 XR200R needed

The rear shock on my 1982 XR200R doesn't seem to actually do anything.  I can't really go up hills much because the rear wheel just starts bouncing around and losing grip.  Anyway, after reading a TON of stuff on various forums I haven't been able to find all that much about this bike.

I talked to Bruce's Suspension.  He said that he may be able to fix it, depending on the condition, parts availability, etc.  Haven't been able to get anyone at Works Performance to reply to me.

Is sending it to Bruce/Works and hoping they can fix it the best bet?

Are there any other suspensions that I could fit to this bike?

I'm a noob to all this, so assume my knowledge level on the technical aspects of the suspension is 0 and you won't be far off :p

Probably is worthwhile getting it rebuilt - 84-85 xr250r shocks will bolt straight on - but then you have to find one - which will probably need rebuilding anyway

Thanks for the info.  I guess I'll ship the factory shock off to Bruce and see what he can do with it.  If it's too far gone, at least I know some more options I can try.

On 8/9/2017 at 11:21 AM, OldGreyBeast said:

Thanks for the info.  I guess I'll ship the factory shock off to Bruce and see what he can do with it.  If it's too far gone, at least I know some more options I can try.

if bruce cant fix it ill sell you my 1988 xr200 rear shock.......and heres the bad part......i had it totally rebuilt 2 months ago and it works fine but im going to ask big bucks for it......since its a hard to find item ill sell it to you for 295.00 plus shipping.......just an option for ya......im going to take the money and put it towards a hagon shock that bruce will try to sell ya.....they go for around 500.....hope you find a shock option you can be happy with.......put a search on ebay like i did and maybe you will get lucky like me.....i put xr rear shock for a search and that way all xr shocks come up......took me about 3 weeks until i found mine and i spent 65 bucks for it.......then another 75 bucks to rebuild it......good luck

im selling it because the spring is stock and too weak for my fat ass......the rear spring is 10.7 and i need a 15.0 and a new spring would cost me about 130 to be custom made and shipped to me.....i might as well get a hagon and be done with it......or racetech has a 400 dollar setup using the stock body and you get all new internals, gold valve and piston rod with the right lower fitment to your bike......if your shock body is still good id go with the racetech setup and you can re-valve it yourself or let them do it to there specs as a starting point and go from there

Joe did you  end up getting  a  hagon ? I'm interested  in  one for one of my xr200 s . Haven't  heard  any feedback  from  xr200  riders .

I had works performance  rebuild  an 1986 200 shock  years ago.It's still great , but finding  another  used one and having  it rebuilt  by them would cost about  the  same  as a new hagon  .

6 hours ago, vulcanduro said:

Joe did you  end up getting  a  hagon ? I'm interested  in  one for one of my xr200 s . Haven't  heard  any feedback  from  xr200  riders .

I had works performance  rebuild  an 1986 200 shock  years ago.It's still great , but finding  another  used one and having  it rebuilt  by them would cost about  the  same  as a new hagon  .

i didnt get the hagon yet.......but im thinking of going the racetech route for 170 bucks for the gold valve........ill have to rebuild the shock of course but my motor guy does it for 45 bucks......

plus dang it i was in a car accident and i think i have a ruptured disc and the lawyer says my riding days are over until we settle.....could be a year.....really bums me out......riding is my stress reliever

dont they, works performance, take a stock shock (pogo stick) and make them awesome for like 300 i think i read on here......the shock companies probably wont like me but being that im heavier than a stock spring can handle i rigged up some rubber grommets that go between the rungs to stiffen it up and it works fine......better than spending 120 on a new shock spring or grinding off any material  and having to make a spacer

if i do anything ill keep you in mind.......and keep looking on ebay......where there is a will there is a way!!!!!

Sorry  to hear about  the  accident , Joe.I know  what  you  mean  about  needing  to  ride for stress relief . 

Works performance does a really  good  job,but I think  that  it  cost me more than $300  for mine . $500 for something  brand new might be a good  deal  -if it is a decent upgrade . I spoke  with  Bruces  suspension , he recommended  the new Hagon over a rebuilt  old stocker.

Keep me posted ! 

• Like 1

On 9/8/2017 at 8:58 AM, vulcanduro said:

Sorry  to hear about  the  accident , Joe.I know  what  you  mean  about  needing  to  ride for stress relief . 

Works performance does a really  good  job,but I think  that  it  cost me more than $300  for mine . $500 for something  brand new might be a good  deal  -if it is a decent upgrade . I spoke  with  Bruces  suspension , he recommended  the new Hagon over a rebuilt  old stocker.

Keep me posted ! 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-86-HONDA-XR200R-Rear-Shock-/391878018156?fits=Model%3AXR200R&hash=item5b3dc0046c:g:WmQAAOSwcRNZqG7P&vxp=mtr

found this on ebay for ya......ya better grab it quick!!!!!!