squeaking/screeching sound from engine?! (another scary sound thread)

Bike: KTM 250 EXC 2002 (supermoto) Top end rebuild 2500 miles ago.

I recently had a whirring type sound resonating from under my tank but thought nothing of it but now my engine has started to make a strange squeaking type sound from the top end! The bike still runs and rides ok but the sound is definitely not right, the only thing i can think that would squeak is possibly my small end bearing starting to wear?

Heres a video listen carefully it is like an intermittent faint squeak! (not sure why the video makes my engine sound like a tractor)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX8bFho-gBY

any opinions would help!

Edited by Joemi

probably good idea to tear it down

Iv stripped the engine and found the big end bearing has up and down play in it, im not sure if this was the noise or not because theres no signs of anything scraping or major damage but iv decided to do a full rebuild as one is overdue!

I am going through this myself. My trusty 2000 KTM 125 has run for 10 years without a hitch. The hitch back in 2007 was me dropping it into a river - 3 times! All that ingested muddy water finally took out the rod big end bearing. This motor has run on street and trail for 10 years beautifully. I have no idea how many hours or miles. I was cranking along at highway speeds thinking how wonderful this little motor is when it took to squealing. I shut her down immediately and walked and trailered it home. Turns out it is another rod big end bearing. I don't know how but there is no damage to the cylinder. The moral of this story is: "If it sounds bad, it probably is bad, shut her down before it gets worse."

Crank bearings going south :thumbsup:

On 10/08/2017 at 6:06 AM, sbest said:

I am going through this myself. My trusty 2000 KTM 125 has run for 10 years without a hitch. The hitch back in 2007 was me dropping it into a river - 3 times! All that ingested muddy water finally took out the rod big end bearing. This motor has run on street and trail for 10 years beautifully. I have no idea how many hours or miles. I was cranking along at highway speeds thinking how wonderful this little motor is when it took to squealing. I shut her down immediately and walked and trailered it home. Turns out it is another rod big end bearing. I don't know how but there is no damage to the cylinder. The moral of this story is: "If it sounds bad, it probably is bad, shut her down before it gets worse."

On 11/08/2017 at 6:20 PM, Motox367 said:

Crank bearings going south :thumbsup:

Yes you are both correct. Iv just finished fully rebuilding the engine and now it's never sounded so smooth! 👌