Xr650l carb from daves mod to ??

I did the Dave's mod to my 2009 XR650L and I'm really happy with the results.  I think it gave about a 60% overall to how it should run. My question is, is it worth the money to upgrade to another carb??  If it's only going to be about 10 to 20% difference then I will probably stick where I'm at. I have done a list of mods to the bike including the FMF,Dave's mod uni filter, gearing, smog removal, redone seat, lowering link, 4.7  and other stuff. What I am more interested in the carb work. It will never be a Power Bomb to me because my other bike is a ZX-14 modified to 182 horsepower and that thing flies. If you have any good input please let me know.  This bike is a blast to ride and have no plans of selling it because I have it dialled in for me.

the FCR MX was the best mod I`ve done to my bike,,and I`ve done EVERYTHING...lol

it really made this bike work like it should,,the OE  CV carb is slooooooowwwwwwwww..  but worked well..but not in the same league as a good pumper carb..

B

17 hours ago, Bruce C said:

I did the Dave's mod to my 2009 XR650L and I'm really happy with the results.  I think it gave about a 60% overall to how it should run. My question is, is it worth the money to upgrade to another carb??  If it's only going to be about 10 to 20% difference then I will probably stick where I'm at. I have done a list of mods to the bike including the FMF,Dave's mod uni filter, gearing, smog removal, redone seat, lowering link, 4.7  and other stuff. What I am more interested in the carb work. It will never be a Power Bomb to me because my other bike is a ZX-14 modified to 182 horsepower and that thing flies. If you have any good input please let me know.  This bike is a blast to ride and have no plans of selling it because I have it dialled in for me.

There's no comparison between the dave' s mods and a pumper carb. I did all the Dave's mods first and they were great but...

After swapping an FCR into it I wish I hadn't wasted my time playing with the OEM carburetor. It pulls slightly harder up top but the real magic is how much sharper it is down low. It pulls like a freight train straight off idle and a quick snap of the throttle will bring the front wheel off the ground in second. 

You can find second hand ones off ebay for pretty cheap and after jetting and parts have it done for under $350! My vote is DO IT!

I could not get decent high rpm power with the CV carb with my 11.25-1 piston and megacycle cam,going up steep hills on the highway required downshifting and full throttle,,no matter what I jetted the carb too,,i tried everything..i put the pumper carb on and the high rpm power was a huge increase,,i blame that on the cam and the vacuum operated OE carb not working together well???...all I know is the carb trade made me stop pulling my hair out and selling the bike...:lol:  before the cam the OE carb was perfectly fine...

B

It could have been the fact the CV carb is finicky about the airflow, just a little bobble or such in the flow right at that one port in the slide and it could easily not pull up all the way.

8 hours ago, XR650L_Dave said:

It could have been the fact the CV carb is finicky about the airflow, just a little bobble or such in the flow right at that one port in the slide and it could easily not pull up all the way.

Could be Dave,,never could get high rpm power,,,everywhere else was decentish..the carb swap was immediate...pulling up a steep hill at 60mph was easy,,,and actually accelerate doing it..

B

B

THANKS TO ALL for the comments and thread information.  It looks like a christmas present to myself to go out and buy one:cheers:

I've got a Mikuni TM40 pumper from Niche Cycle Supply. Best prices around. The individual kit parts total less than the kit.

I've got a Mikuni TM40 pumper from Niche Cycle Supply. Best prices around. The individual kit parts total less than the kit.

When I was looking at carbs, rebuild kits/parts (other than jets) for the Mikuni carbs were impossible to find, I don't know if that has changed.