Flywheel Size and weight

Hi

Does anybody out there have a standard flywheel that they could run a tape measure over for me?.  I'm after total height, internal dimension (for the stator) and external dimensions.

As an aside will an LTZ 400 flywheel fit in the hole?

Cheers

John

I'm pretty sure it will work. Z'guys use the DRZ flywheel. The aftermarket Trail Tech flywheel fit both.

The problem is the quad flywheel is even heavier than the already too heavy stock flywheel. You do not want to use it.

Sent from my XT1650 using ThumperTalk mobile app

Hi ohiodrz400sm,

Thanks for the input. LOL I'll make sure it does a Jenny Craig or Weight Watches course before installing.

Cheers

Unfortunately, you really can't turn anything down on the DRZ flywheel due to it being a three piece composite design.  Additionally, Those big rivets holding the hydro-formed sections to the flange keep you from putting any lightening holes in the assembly. (pic 1)

The Trail Tech flywheel (pic 2 & 3) is a one-piece billet affair, so there are options for making it lighter, much like the GSXR flywheel. (pic 4 & 5)

Stock DRZ top.jpg

post-469284-0-66928000-1461856404.jpg

post-469284-0-53763000-1461856898.jpg

GSXR 1000 FRONT.jpg

GSXR 1000 BACK.jpg

53 minutes ago, Bermudacat said:

Unfortunately, you really can't turn anything down on the DRZ flywheel due to it being a three piece composite design.  Additionally, Those big rivets holding the hydro-formed sections to the flange keep you from putting any lightening holes in the assembly. (pic 1)

The Trail Tech flywheel (pic 2 & 3) is a one-piece billet affair, so there are options for making it lighter, much like the GSXR flywheel. (pic 4 & 5)

Stock DRZ top.jpg

post-469284-0-66928000-1461856404.jpg

post-469284-0-53763000-1461856898.jpg

GSXR 1000 FRONT.jpg

GSXR 1000 BACK.jpg

I currently have three flywheels sitting on the floor.   The goal was not to lighten but to add the required triggering for fuel injection which is 18 - 1 teeth.  I was hoping the LTZ  flywheel would have fitted but it is by measure to large in places, it does, however have the required trigger teeth already formed - the LTZ being fuel injected. It weighs in at 1700grams. The second is a flywheel I picked up from a kicker.  It to is different enough not to fit.  It is smaller diameter and doesn't feature the starter ring mounts. The trigger teeth offset is 30 deg before TDC and not after as in the E/S/SM flywheels.  It weighs 1475 grams.  The last is the original flywheel off the SM. It weighs 1460grams so is the lightest of the lot.  I purchased a new one and got the outer turned down by a few mm a ring made with the correct tooth arrangement and have that fitted currently to the bike.  I did have discussions at the time with the engineers about shaving a bit off around the middle to make the wheel a little lighter but decided  not to as the rest of the bike is standard at the moment.

I guess if you keen you could have something made for your application. There is  potential for weight loss on the Kicker as it holds the most mass on the bottom formed area and looks like it would be easy to turn it down a little, this however would only be useful for kick start only bikes - different trigger timings and no e start.

The LTZ flywheel is cast? one piece and slightly too big.  I wonder if it could be turned down to make a lighter DRZ flywheel.

Anything is possible with time and resources.

Cheers

John

56 minutes ago, roleyrev said:

I guess if you keen you could have something made for your application.

The LTZ flywheel is cast? one piece and slightly too big.  I wonder if it could be turned down to make a lighter DRZ flywheel.20180113_204258086_iOS.jpg.d7f4b0d096f25d9e2af83895cdab49a1.jpg20180113_204305533_iOS.jpg.e6cb7ff98648a0ff48e929f34c548976.jpg

Anything is possible with time and resources.

Cheers

John

Wow! Too big where? Aside from needing the trigger, it looks like a good 'blank'. The ignition triggers are just steel and they rely on proximity, no?

The standard DRZ is 119mm across the LTZ is 122mm - but there is plenty of thickness on the LTZ flywheel wall.  Yes triggers are steel and rely on proximity.  You might have to use a late model LTZ stator as the middle of the flywheel is bigger. 94mm (DRZ) 106mm (LTZ) - not a bad thing more power? The shaft taper and ring mounting hole pattern are the same as is the height.