k60 scout on drz400s.

Hello. Just got my drz400s 2005 couple weeks ago. Tires on the bike were terrible, rear was way dead than worn tire. So I ordered k60 scout today, I still need to learn how to ride the bike, I am a beginner so I want to start light little bit, gravels, trails, fire roads etc.

Also comments about k60 were especially good on wet roads, since there is almost always rain in Iceland no matter the season is, I thought it could be a good choice. There is not a big "motorcycle" community here in Iceland, one place had d606 but not in the size I was looking, another had only k60  at the sizes I was looking.(stock sizes)

Do you guys know anything about k60?

Here is my plan, no matter what my plan is I will always ride my bike on off-road, I live in a small town. But I really want to go on trails, I really need to have some tires with dot's and grips.

So from now on my plan will be, k60 for commuting, road-travelling, light offroad and d606 will be a little extreme.(gonna order soon) Or should I go for more dirt oriented tires for it? What can d606 do and k60 can not?

Is it really dangerous to ride with dirt tires on wet roads as a beginner rider?

What do you guys can recommend me? Thanks.

PM Anthon Berg, he lives in your neck of the rocks n ice.  Knobbies are not forgiving on the road, period.   There's a skill set to riding fast on pavement,  it can be learned but you'll wear out part of your butt without good riding gear.  Avoid digital throttle, learn your bike and yourself.  The bike will do what a scared rider won't.

so I run D606s on road, and have gone up to 95 MPH on the freeway. I am also a bug guy, 260 lbs and 6'2" tall, and have probably about 10 pounds of backpack and clothing on. The yare knobbie tires, and loud, and vibrate a lot.... I plan to get some Shinko 705s next.... I like the D606s, but I don't think I would trust them in the wet.... I am a new rider, but have already ventured into spirited riding, including lane splitting.... So far, I have only been on road, unless you could the dirt shoulder I have passed cars on a little bit.

Off road tires dont do well on wet road.
The better they are off road the shitiest they are on the street. Riding style/skills are very different on the street and off road. I consider myself a good to very good street rider on the street but suck off road. (Im 48 ans been riding street for a very long time, the bike i had the longest and loved the most was a kawasaki zzr 1200, have over 60k miles on it)

So, the k60 is supposed to be pretty good. I like them more than the 705s I am going with, but the 705s are like half the price

56 minutes ago, 74jimbo said:

So, the k60 is supposed to be pretty good. I like them more than the 705s I am going with, but the 705s are like half the price

But they say that mileage is for rear 10-12.000km, for front 20.000. So... They are actually very price/performance orianted.

Rear tires take a beating.  Hind sight is better to buy two rears and one front, but we are all looking for the magic tire on a limited budget. 

45 minutes ago, 38super said:

Rear tires take a beating.  Hind sight is better to buy two rears and one front, but we are all looking for the magic tire on a limited budget. 

but a really wise man(a cool old man who I met in campsite, who travelled over 100 countries with enduros for 45 years) told me to buy a good, high quality tire, always. He was the one actually who saw my tire yelled at me. He says, "Tires are the only thing stand between your life and the road". We had the same conversation, I told him that I was going to order shinko244, he said don't do it. I don't know... I think  budged should be very high when it comes to tires, ofcourse I am a beginner and this is only my observation.

He's right, buy the best you can afford.  However, you are on the steep side of the learning curve.  Find a flat place, learn your turns.   Find a riding place you consider mild to medium riding skills.  Ride it over and over to get familiar and learn the terrain/turns.  Learn how to fall and get off a bike.  Crash is usually a low side (bike slides out) or high side (bike spits you off and chases you), high sides mean you're really trying but chopped the throttle too soon.  Wear protection, a handle bar to the ribs can really hurt.

Go ride, this is just the first set of tires you'll shred.