Drilling bib mousse

Looking to see what size hole and how far apart people are drilling holes in new mousses to soften them. I going to tko Saturday and my old soft one I was planning to ride is pretty much destroyed so I had to order a new one and have no time to break it in. Ordered a 120/100/18 nitro mousse for a 120/100/18 Kenda ibex and help would be great I know it's going to shorten it's life but I'm not worried about that just need a good soft bib. Thanks 

Ugh. Bibs. Man do I ever fkn hate those things

You just paid $200 for something that completely sucks out of the box, is decent in the middle of its life, then is pure garbage again at the end of its life. They're wickedly hard to install, expensive, don't last long, feel weird and aren't adjustable

Tubliss is 100% the way to go

5 minutes ago, cdf450 said:

Ugh. Bibs. Man do I ever fkn hate those things

You just paid $200 for something that completely sucks out of the box, is decent in the middle of its life, then is pure garbage again at the end of its life. They're wickedly hard to install, expensive, don't last long, feel weird and aren't adjustable

Tubliss is 100% the way to go

Has the shelf life of a gallon of milk.  And EXPENSIVE.  I'll stick with my hd tubes, but I also understand the Tubliss thing.

I recently went the Tubliss route with my bike. Another rider in our group was trying to convince me that the bibbs were the best way to go. After reading this, I'm glad I was completely ignoring his spiel.

I have ZERO experience with the bibbs, and from the sounds of it I should keep it that way. This site delivers again! Thanks guys!

I've tried tubliss and ultra heavy tubes. Tubliss won't work with my pirellis where I ride, I just the sidewalls out. Tubes are hit or miss but after 8 dnfs Because of flats in 2015 I had to do something. Bibs aren't that bad I kind of like the feel I just need to get this one flattened down quick.

Where do you ride? I ride the sharpest rockiest stuff out there and never rip tires

Lots of misinformation in here so far. Bibs can be found for much less than $200. They're not hard to install if you know how to change a tire...correctly. They last much longer than some think...even if drilled.

Traction, feel and rim protection wise, bibs are far better than Tubliss. I have over 500 hrs on tubliss and will never go back. 

The bib in the pic below has over 40 hrs of hard use(high speed...lots of rocks, roots and logs) and it's still in new condition.

IMG_0187.thumb.JPG.a565922da615788ae969f138495b392f.JPG

Ya I just watched a recent video in TT of what tire set-up the top hard enduro dudes use and Jarvis and Gomez are using drilled bibs. (I believe both Golden tires and bibs), then some dudes are also running balls. I'll see if I can find the post later.

EDIT

Not something I've personally used so can not comment on # of holes BUT if I did decide to go from UHD tubes, bibs would be an option.

In the winter, I run my rear with tapcon studded tires, an UHD tube and I'm stuffing a couple of layers of 6MM yoga mats between the tube and tire and I can run at 0 PSI if I want but it helps to have a tire with a stiff side wall :)

Edited by filterx

I didn't ask if I should run bibs I asked where to drill holes to soften them. I've tried tubes and tubliss they do not work for me. I went ahead and drilled it every  2"  with a 9/16bit then went and drilled in between those with A 3/8 bit. I'll post how it goes after the weekend.

My youngest son is running Techno Mousse in his CRF450R.  He seems to like them, and they apparently are supposed to last longer than the bibs.  He was running the original grey ones and is now running the improved black ones.  The only downside is they are absolutely a nightmare to mount.

Edited by cjjeepercreeper

I have about 5 hours on the Goldentyre Mousse X. It's made with holes in it and a groove along the outside. In the front I'm running the nitro mousse, which has way more feel than the bib I ran in my old bike. I ran tubliss for about 100 hours in two bikes, but we have sharp shale in my area and I have ripped and punctures too many tires. Not to mention a couple DNFs and ruined rides because of either a flat tire running tubliss that couldn't be plugged or a heavy duty tube pinching in a rock pile. For me, I'm gonna stick with mousses and the high price to prevent ruining a day. For those of you running tubliss and tubes without issue or little issue all I can say is I'm jealous.

10 hours ago, nickmell said:

I didn't ask if I should run bibs I asked where to drill holes to soften them. I've tried tubes and tubliss they do not work for me. I went ahead and drilled it every  2"  with a 9/16bit then went and drilled in between those with A 3/8 bit. I'll post how it goes after the weekend.

Ya dude its a valid question cus IMO drilling is how you would adjust PSI with the bibs and it would be hit/miss drilling holes/sizes, repeating until you got the right feel for the tire/conditions. Just typing that is making my head hurt.

As I said, I run UHD tubes and really play around with PSI's depending on the tires/terrain/time of year and buddies think I'm crazy running 2 or so PSI in the rear but man, I haven't pinched flatted in over 5 years and it can make a HUGE difference in a good way :).

On 8/10/2017 at 8:18 AM, nickmell said:

LOL, welcome to thumper talk!

Have been running Dunlop bib mouses using Mich lube. 2 tube lube rear and 1 tube lube front.

I mounted myself, first try tough then found trick, now easer than tube.

Durability No comparison far better than all else period.

2016 KTM 500 EXC 500 Dunlop 606 and mouse front rear

2016 BAJA 1000 then another 300 miles post race casual riding with 50 % high speed 60 MPH.

Dissassemble and inspect like NEW little softer but zero break down, relube was needed asap. Front rim bent post race from rock impact.

Reassembled and return to NON race duty.

Not sure why one would run anything else if you HAVE to get to the finish, if not run all else.

All the best out there Riders

All the people claiming bibs are so terrible to mount can't have hardly any experience and are just repeating what they were told by someone else who doesn't know. I am pretty good at changing tires and I know I can do a bib faster and I would rather change bibs than tubes. They have there own techniques and each a little different. But once you get bibs figured out they are great for certain applications.

I think you did a good job which the hole drilling

In the same spot as OP. I am now running TuBliss and can't keep the front inflated. Been running TuBliss for 6 years on several bikes with great results. Thinking going to a mousse but need to stick around 8 PSI feel. Anything more I don't like the feel and less then 5psi becomes squirrely. Is there a ratio of area removed (hole) to feel (tube PSI)???

I have 4 of 4 front rims using mousse. No brainer. Tubliss in 3 rears, mousse in one since April. The rear has surpassed my expectations. Probably going to 2 rear mousses and will drill one of them. 

The disinformation about mousse is laughable.  

I've seen a guy take a sawzall or an electric carving knife and cut around new bibs so the out side has a flat spot all the way around it to get the feel he likes.

FYI, I asked whether nitro should be drilled laterally or horizontally. Nuetech has yet to conclude which works best. So, maybe both. I'm replacing all my Michelin with nitro over time. I've been very pleased with nuetech customer service and the product details and promises are quite intriguing. 

2 minutes ago, pre-mixed said:

I've seen a guy take a sawzall or an electric carving knife and cut around new bibs so the out side has a flat spot all the way around it to get the feel he likes.

Trouble there is that would take away the ability to later add volume to the mousse by adding a cut section. Meanwhile, lack of volume via drilling can be stuffed to fit and re add volume. 

I am by no means an expert...