Supermoto Tire Size

I have a 2013 WR450F that I will be putting 3.5"x17" front rim and 4.25"x17" rear rim on. What is the biggest rear tire I can put on with out hitting the chain?

You need to balance the front and the back sizes  assuming you want the bike to handle. If you are after looks only, you could cram a 200 tire in there by dishing the wheel more. A 160 is plenty of tire though.

I definitely want functionality out of the bike but I don't want the moped look either, you can really fit a 160 with no problem it looks like a tire that big would hit the chain

Sent from my SM-G950U using ThumperTalk mobile app

150-160 rear will fit on a 4.25" without much hassle at all.  Big hassle is when you go to a 5" rear rim with a 160-165

Will the 160 rub ther chain?

Depends on the tire,  Metzler M7rr  nope ( but it's close )   Dunlop Q3 oh yeah plus rubbing the swingarm on the other side.

Pretty much any 150 will fit and it'll have the proper profile if you have a four and a quarter rim.

I hope it looks good I'm definitely going for looks an functionality

It'll look fine

I have seen a 160 on the rear without any rubbing issues. The gent had mentioned something about offsetting the wheel to accommodate. I know supermoto junkie has a lot of info on the topic. He also had a chain guide which he installed by drilling into the swing arm. 

Personally I'd stick to a 120+150-no clearance issues and the handling is nice and sharp. The Bridgestone S21 is a great hypersport tyre but overly stiff for a Supermoto. Theyre designed for 200kg 200mph superbikes. Something like a Michelin Pilot Sport or ideally a Continental Conti SM will give you great feel and fast warm up

Thanks nixinus I been trying to find that part exactly and this is awesome input keep em coming. Are warp 9 decent for the money

18 hours ago, Rcyr250 said:

Are warp 9 decent for the money

Depends on your mechanical ability or who you know. Some people will tell you to lace 17" rims to stock hubs is the best bang for your buck. I would argue that parts (including stock hubs if you are keeping your stock set for dirt) and labor (if you/someone you know can lace a rim) makes it a wash. Plus, I like the idea of having a cush drive rear end with how much torque thumpers can put out, but that's my preference.

I have a 2006 with a 4.25 rear rim. I have done everything imaginable that has been said on the internet (besides additional chain guide or roller) and was still getting chain rub with a 150. Got tired of it and made a vertical roller now its all good

(tires were pp 2ct and a bt016)

10 hours ago, Cody Trego said:

I have a 2006 with a 4.25 rear rim. I have done everything imaginable that has been said on the internet (besides additional chain guide or roller) and was still getting chain rub with a 150. Got tired of it and made a vertical roller now its all good

(tires were pp 2ct and a bt016)

Your rim wasn't offset enough.  My 06 has a excel pro-series 5" rim w/165 Michelin SM slick.. chain barely kisses the tire w/o an additional chain guide.

It was offset enough to destroy my exhaust :)

2 hours ago, Cody Trego said:

It was offset enough to destroy my exhaust :)

If you don't space out the exhaust a 140 would hit it.

Depends on the tire. There is so much variation. A 160 q3 hit both sides on mine. A 165 slick clears with plenty of room. TM makes a nice chain guide that helps keep the chain off the tire.

Sent from my SM-G955U using ThumperTalk mobile app

dear friends please lets get helpful here for me !

I gave up the supermoto project this year , money reasons (I purchased year 2000 WR400F in food condition but pretty expensive this year)

I am NOT !!! a pro street-rider, mainly we go dirt riding in the woods.

MY QUESTION!!! I could buy for an affordable price a full set of enduro wheels (front 21 rear 18) from a YZ426F to my 2000 WR400F.

WHAT DO YOU think about putting some street-tires on a secondary wheel set but not a 17" SM set, rather a 21" enduro wheel set, just for easy riding at summer?

I am not a "pro" Supermoto rider, I just would be happy to be able to ride at concrete/asphalt road, not to have the knobbed dirt-tires on.

what do you think about this? is this a bad idea or it just could work if I would live with it?

please if somebody has a real-life experience about putting street-tires on 21" front, 18"back enduro wheel set, let me know  about it.

cheers! Martin.