Good Or Bad ?

so the story is that the engine seized from oil starvation the piston is as dead it can be :p  so new piston and rings for sure

but the cylinder was send for cleaning and it looks like that now !

20727634_1234946043277368_733328548_o.jpg.de37291010f4bcfc6468963dbe3ecdc5.jpg

20793529_1234946023277370_292895319_o.jpg.bd36e953bf797636a309056d4d7f0161.jpg

20746965_1234946019944037_28937738_o.jpg.7ff8b7ae32cf93e80e7ab0ed8b10b3e9.jpg

is it damaged or i can just put new piston and rings on it

the problem is that no one replates nicasil cylinders in Greece so the only solution i have is to bore it and put a sleeve on it and loose the nicasil plating 

Bad cylinder. Time to order a new one. I am pretty much in the same boat. I will be going with a stroker crank and a big bore cylinder

yeah thats the bad news i cant find a new cylinder anywhere in Europe

if i get one from the Us the postage and the import charges costs as much as the bike :p

I hear you. It just sucks. I got my bike for $2700. 2 months later, my engine seized. I will be spending $1000 on it, and doi g the work myself, re-using my head and cams

same story here got the bike in pieces the only way i see is to put a sleeve on it and see how it goes

Find someone with a hone and have them do a quick "freshen" of the hatch marks(I'm talking a few times in and out with mild pressure on the stones, check piston to bore clearance , ring endgaps and put in the new piston-rings , enjoy for many many miles . Unless that was a fresh honing , then she's very questionable .

Edited by jjktmrider
  • Like 1

yes this is after a honing with a flex hone stones brush

the second images shows the worst spot on the cylinder

if i get one from the Us the postage and the import charges costs as much as the bike

Even if it's send by a third party as a gift ?

1 minute ago, LoLoSama said:
2 hours ago, Vatos_locos said:

if i get one from the Us the postage and the import charges costs as much as the bike emoji14.png

Even if it's send by a third party as a gift ?

dont know if it is as a gift but Greek Customs are too tight now !

is that aluminum from the piston seize stuck on the cylinder wall? If so...mueratic acid will take it right off.  I know most will say that cylinder is junk...but I've actually ran a cylinder on a kx125 race bike that had the plating wore completely through in one spot...and the bike ripped! ...and my son raced it for a year without any problems. So yah...in a pinch...I'd run it :).

• Like 1

well i was hoping for an answer like this ! :D

i will try to see if the spot is aluminum from the piston or the plating has come off

but when i run my fingernail i cant feel any bumps on it

will try the acid :)

The cylinder looks probably OK for reuse.  You do need to determine if that one spot is aluminum that will need to be cleaned or if it is missing plating. If missing plating then I'd say no it is not worth spending money on the rest of the rebuild. Both original bore size and over bore new cylinders are available from Cylinder Works and Athena. I would think available in Greece.

The cylinder does show wear but that 1 spot is the biggest concern

well i was hoping for an answer like this !

i will try to see if the spot is aluminum from the piston or the plating has come off
will try the acid
Just careful with it, I used muriatic acid for many job (Not motorcycle related) , its really bad stuff, I mean real bad....
  • Like 1

On 10/8/2017 at 2:32 AM, Noble said:

The cylinder looks probably OK for reuse.  You do need to determine if that one spot is aluminum that will need to be cleaned or if it is missing plating. If missing plating then I'd say no it is not worth spending money on the rest of the rebuild. Both original bore size and over bore new cylinders are available from Cylinder Works and Athena. I would think available in Greece.

The cylinder does show wear but that 1 spot is the biggest concern

the sleeving is a viable option but i thing i found a way to send the Cylinder to UK for bore and replate and a new piston match prox or wisseco  with ~ 420€

On 10/8/2017 at 4:15 AM, LoLoSama said:
On 10/8/2017 at 1:04 AM, Vatos_locos said:
well i was hoping for an answer like this !

will try the acid

Just careful with it, I used muriatic acid for many job (Not motorcycle related) , its really bad stuff, I mean real bad....

As I wrote before .. cost !

the cost to get a BB kit from ebay now is more than the bike it self !

@Matje thanks i will check the links ! :)