New (to me) CRF450X - What do I need to know?

Hey TT Friends -

I've been looking for answers and researching things for years, and I've always loved coming across this website. The forums here have been very informative and helpful in many ways. I've come to learn (in life) that the quickest way to get the most sincere answers, is to ask the question. So I finally figured that I would join TT and get personal feedback from any who are willing to offer up the help.

I recently came into a 2007 CRF450X, and I'm ready to start making it my own. It has had some "things" done to it. But rather than me listing those, I would like to know from you all just what it is that I should know about this bike. (Quick note on me, not a beginner or rookie, but certainly not as seasoned as some) I'm looking for tricks, tips, and ideas that will help me get the most out of this experience. This bike will mostly be a buddy bike for single track and deserty stuff, with the occasional visit to a moto track out here in Utah.

Aside from general info, I had one other quick question: Has anyone ever put a 450R tank on the X for shorter trips that don't require as much fuel, mostly to cut down on width and weight?

<<Aside from general info, >>

1. Run a full quart of oil in the tranny.   There was a mid-production change in 2007 for the shafts and 3rd gear (oil channels added).

2. Don't use the transmission check bolt; it strips easily.   Besides, your doing #1.

Outside of that, making sure you have the right springs suspension wise, and that it's jetted properly.

Can't answer the fuel tank question.

Jim.

• Like 2

For fun performance, most prefer less restrictive aftermarket muffler with airbox opened up and carb rejetted.

If it has not been maintained, it needs the steering stem, swingarm/link/knuckle/shock, bearings greased...check wheel bearings.

Maybe, new sprockets/chain, cables greased...

You're the first I've heard to want a smaller tank...

• Like 3

On 8/13/2017 at 4:25 AM, Sofiedog said:

Did you have an issue? I haven't been checking mine between oil changes...change mine probably every 150 miles or maybe every 10 hrs...no engine seals leak...doesn't burn oil...where would the oil go?
Just curious what others are doing...

Same for me, I have heard so many times about oil-so where does it go if not leaking or burned?

• Like 1

On 8/13/2017 at 5:28 AM, Gottadog said:

These bikes are known to consume oil. All of them dont. Mine certainly doesn't as bad as she used to after a trx piston. With such a small capacity on the engine side it would be foolish not to check it before each ride. 

I have alos heard good things about changing to a TRX piston, what is the consensus?

On 8/11/2017 at 10:06 PM, Gottadog said:

Check the engine oil level often. 

Thanks Dog - When I got it, I noticed that it actually has a small crack and JB weld and the left sides stator cover - with that comes an even greater potential loss of oil. I have a buddy at a local shop that said he'd keep an eye out for one for me, but I may end up having to buy an OEM.

Edited by Captain758

So far - it's been nothing more than a little ride time, a 450R head pipe, and adding the FMF Q4 with the spark arrestor. The next fixes will be to get rid of the not so pretty graphics kit, new bars and grips, and new fork seals and oil, along with the new left side stator cover. After that it will be a new seat cover, jetting and valve check. These upgrades are all limited due to funds - but I hope to sell my 250X soon, and keep you guys updated with pictures.

450X Pipe.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hockeyrick said:

Same for me, I have heard so many times about oil-so where does it go if not leaking or burned?

Put my money on burned. It isn't always super obvious. But if you ride her. Check the oil and its low. The breather tube isn't full of oil, clearly not leaking. She's eating it. 

6 hours ago, hockeyrick said:

I have alos heard good things about changing to a TRX piston, what is the consensus?

Always check her. Regardless of what she should have in her. I noticed a difference after a few runs. But checking her is where you get to know her new personality. After break-in she really stopped her oil consumption considerably. To the point I didn't have to add oil almost all of the time., and when I did very very little. She did eat a little more at first till the rings had a chance to seat. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Sorry it's been so long - work and school, and kiddos have got me running in lots of different directions. I've now got some new twinwalls setup to help me choose which direction I'm headed. I've got it set up a little taller in the event that my dad and I can both team race this bike (he's 6'+). I also had the clutch cover and the stator cover powder coated. Things are moving a long slowly - I've got some damaged threads on the carb where the hot start goes, hoping to get those fixed this week...

450X6.jpg

450X5.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...