New to the TTR

ok guys, i picked up a 2002 TTR125 from a buddy and i am trying to find a good place to find upgraded parts.  I am a big guy (6ft5inover 200lbs) and am trying to make this a pit bike.  I cant already tell that the rear shock is trashed.  I would usually just buy the OEM replacement but being that big dude+ tiny bike= suspension issues, i am looking for a good upgrade.  Everything i have found doesnt look like it would work with the way it mounts to the bike.  Im new to bikes so help me out!!

I know BBR makes some high quality stuff for TTRs because stock TTRs are not that great imo as I have a 07 125L. If you are just looking for a spring then BBR has one but if your looking for the whole shock then try Race Tech or some company. Those will be high quality parts because that's what are in motocross bikes. But the BBR springs are quite a bit stiffer, 30% more if I remember right.

If you can find a later model remote reservoir shock, you can put a spring on it and valve it to work. For the forks use YZ85 or CR85. Spring and valve.  Then Relocate the shock bolt to balance it out. There's a sticky at the home page for TTR's with all the tricks.  ALso, I would gusset the crap out of it and get a cradle.  

See... i have no idea what any of that means lol. This is the first thing on 2 wheels ive owned. Kinda why i joined a forum.

So is just the spring bad or the whole thing like what the spring looking thing is on? BBR sells stiffer shocks for bigger people like you or me

The problem with a stiffer spring is yes it stiffer and harder to go down, but it goes back up way faster.  So you need to slow it down, that's where valving comes in.  They can slow down so you don't bounce over the bars.  The shock with remote reservoir (google a picture) can be more modified.  The problem is if the guy you send it to doesn't have a clue about a 200lb guy on a TTR, it won't be done right.  It might take a few times for them to get it right.  But check out the sticky on the top of the TTR page, it has just about all the info you could ask for. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FSK_Talon3 said:

So is just the spring bad or the whole thing like what the spring looking thing is on? BBR sells stiffer shocks for bigger people like you or me

The actual shock absorber is pretty much done for. There is zero resistance or bounce back. I thought about rebuilding the shock, but like i said before being a big guy i think it would be a waste of time and i should just buy a little more heavy duty set up.

6 hours ago, socalxr said:

The problem with a stiffer spring is yes it stiffer and harder to go down, but it goes back up way faster.  So you need to slow it down, that's where valving comes in.  They can slow down so you don't bounce over the bars.  The shock with remote reservoir (google a picture) can be more modified.  The problem is if the guy you send it to doesn't have a clue about a 200lb guy on a TTR, it won't be done right.  It might take a few times for them to get it right.  But check out the sticky on the top of the TTR page, it has just about all the info you could ask for. 

Well i plan on doing this all myself. Not very familiar with the reservoirs but i have seen a lot of them. Ill check the stickys after work. 

You can't really rebuild and valve shocks without knowing what you're doing.  I just send it out.  There are a couple people I know that do them, so I just send it to them.  Luckily, once it's set to your liking, you just have to change the oil in the once every year or so.  (Actually most people don't, including myself) 

• Like 1

Yea thats kinda why i was planning on doing a new setup. Its just for a pit bike to play around with so im looking for comfort. Right now it feels like im riding a bike with cliff hangers lol