2006 YZ250F KYB SSS Shim stack

I did some basic revalving and testing on the same bike and I'm fast Vet A 160 lbs. I settled with just 8 of the low speed compression shims in the base valve, didn't change the high speed stack just cause I was doing a quick free revalve for a friend's bike, and it felt pretty good, stock springs. 8 was better than 10 for me. No crossover.  Also I think I took out 2 of the low speed compression shims from the midvalve. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tom02cr250 said:

I did some basic revalving and testing on the same bike and I'm fast Vet A 160 lbs. I settled with just 8 of the low speed compression shims in the base valve, didn't change the high speed stack just cause I was doing a quick free revalve for a friend's bike, and it felt pretty good, stock springs. 8 was better than 10 for me. No crossover.  Also I think I took out 2 of the low speed compression shims from the midvalve. 

8 face shims is very very soft what clamp are you running ? Dose t he 06 run a bleed stack ? 

According to my notes I added 1 smaller shim to the bottom, must be a 14mm clamp shim, stock was 16. And I actually only took out 1 ls from the midvalve. First I tried 10 of the face shims, it was still not soft enough, then I think I tried 6 or 7 and it was too soft, then 8 was good. Always good to test and see what you like. Now my brother owns the bike but he weighs about 200 and is an occasional c Rider and he said its good no complaints, even at a really rocky race. 

• Like 1

I am also changing out the stock 1.7 pressure springs to a 1.0, I think this will be a good set up for the front 

Not a fan of softer ICS - you need to maintain good pressure on the fluid to avoid cavitation.

I'd maybe pull a couple face shims off the BV, smaller clamp, and 1 face shim from the mid.
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, C-P said:

Not a fan of softer ICS - you need to maintain good pressure on the fluid to avoid cavitation.

I'd maybe pull a couple face shims off the BV, smaller clamp, and 1 face shim from the mid.

Me either for my riding the softer ICS turns the fork into a mush pile. Not seen the 06 stacks but I'd assume a 14 clamp std not a 16 as suggested but I could be wrong would not be the first time ?

1 hour ago, C-P said:

So you would just leave the stock 1.7 kg/mm fork pressure springs in and change up the valving as tom02cr250 stated before? Also this is my first time messing with the shim stack, just was trying to pick it up and learn it myself. I am open to any suggestions. Should have it tested in a few days I'll post what I think.

Have a read of the SSS offroad thread on here its a big read and many many ways to skin a cat. This is a pretty soft Woods stack I've used a little unconventional but its plush and responsive to clicker changes. The mid is not hard on shims either like some. I run much firmer now days. 

32 x 0.11 (6)
24 x 0,11
32 x 0.11 (8)
16 x 0.11
14 x 0.3

Mid 

20 x 0.11 (3)

10 x 0.2

11 x .0.25

12 x 0.1

12 x 0.3

17 x 0.3 

Total 1.92mm 

Collar 5.3

Float 0.3mm 

Oil 330ml

MM 

• Like 1

Like many 'SSS' applications, the stock ICS spring rates for a '06 YZ250F are listed at 20Nm, (about 2.0kg/mm)

1.6kg/mm would be about the softest to test but as mentioned many have not had good results. (too mushy)

Edited by mlatour

Ok what is your skill level A, B, C? Also this is a little off topic, but the the rod that holds all the shims and valves together, the nut on top came from the factory mushroomed over the nut so it won't untighten, I could imagine all this interchangeing would be hard on the end of that rod as you have to file the end off everytime. Would Loctite work to make sure the nut wont come off or would all the oil flowing past it mess up the loctite? What do you use to keep it from untightneing?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MartyMOOSE said:

Me either for my riding the softer ICS turns the fork into a mush pile. Not seen the 06 stacks but I'd assume a 14 clamp std not a 16 as suggested but I could be wrong would not be the first time ?

Ya the stock clamp .25 shim is 14mm. I didn't take good enough noted when I revalved it, I must have added a 14 .10 shim and smaller clamp.  I have also revalved other friends kyb forks and the one said it could still be softer, I used 10 of the face shims and stock high speed stack and clamp shim, converted mid valve to check plate and flipped bleed stack. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Yzinger35 said:

Ok what is your skill level A, B, C? Also this is a little off topic, but the the rod that holds all the shims and valves together, the nut on top came from the factory mushroomed over the nut so it won't untighten, I could imagine all this interchangeing would be hard on the end of that rod as you have to file the end off everytime. Would Loctite work to make sure the nut wont come off or would all the oil flowing past it mess up the loctite? What do you use to keep it from untightneing?

I run A Masters class in your terms so not sure normally top 3 in class at our local state series. My son used this set up in B/C grade for you and runs in 3rd at our State series it was a little soft but plush and looked after your body at the end of an enduro. His new set up has a total 6x0.15 so 15x0.11 22.0.11 crossover  on a 12 clamp mine has 16x0.11 on the face 26x0.11 clamped on a 14. Mids similar float 0.3 and 0.35. Its a game of try and see. Rebound I like the later YZf's stack with the 0.15's in the high speed and 3 face shims. The peen on the post is normal you have to file it off. Make sure you wash up very very well and leave no filings behind and yes use loctite I use red. The post is made of chocolate so don't snap it. 

MM 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 8/10/2017 at 9:28 PM, MartyMOOSE said:

Have a read of the SSS offroad thread on here its a big read and many many ways to skin a cat. This is a pretty soft Woods stack I've used a little unconventional but its plush and responsive to clicker changes. The mid is not hard on shims either like some. I run much firmer now days. 

32 x 0.11 (6)
24 x 0,11
32 x 0.11 (8)
16 x 0.11
14 x 0.3

Mid 

20 x 0.11 (3)

10 x 0.2

11 x .0.25

12 x 0.1

12 x 0.3

17 x 0.3 

Total 1.92mm 

Collar 5.3

Float 0.3mm 

Oil 330ml

MM 

Last time the quote didn't come through. This looks like what I might want to do. I have an 06 YZ250F. I have my suspension apart to change the fork seals. Is this stack listing starting at the top with how you put it on or is the top of the list the top of the stack. Not sure how these stack listings go.  

Also where do you pick up the various different shim sizes?

You need to do some research on this topic and how to do this. The main comp stack is in the top assembly with the free piston, the mid is on the rod as is the rebound. Do a search I'm sure the info is out there I know I've posted pics before. 

MM