2 stroke performance shops

After a long overdue hiatus from MX, (when pros still rode 250-2's) I've decided to pull the trigger on a TC 125. I have my mind made up as far as the pipe combo/reeds, as well as a few other bolt-on's. My main question is, who's top notch in porting/polishing these days? Harris Performance (out of Texas) keeps catching my eye, has anyone rode/seen their work? They're pretty pricey but I'm willing to spend the cash on upper echelon work. Thanks for any/all help! 

(144 kits are out of the question, I can't race against 250F's at the local track with a big bore kit.)

I use Luke's Racing. They've always helped me out

I've heard plenty of good things about HP Racing Development and they do great work from what I've seen and heard from friends.

no need to  porting/polishing if you do want more power get a s3 or a sxs extrim head 

this is the stage 1 on my tc105

P_20170528_131420.jpg

Lots of options. Harris has a good rep. 

Could always just slap VHM or Phathead head on, interchangeable domes to match your octane desire and have it ported once you want to do rings. 

Get a 250f and you won't need it. 125s have no chance these days the 250f is much faster easier to go faster. And I raced twostrokes for 20+ 

I'll look into some of the heads you guys referred, I appreciate the input.

I rode my brother-in-law's 2015 KX 250F a few times and I just wasn't a fan. With the huge layoff I need to learn to ride aggressively again and sharpen a lot of skills. Plus the way I look at it if I can ride a 2 stroke, then I can ride 4 stroke. The same can't always be said the other way around. 

Just pretend that 250f reply isn't there. You're on the right path to tons of fun. 

Jbone motorworks is another popular motor build tuner or you could always go with a big name like pro circuit, Mitch Payton still personally does most the 2t port work and we all know they can build a fast 125. 

Edited by TommyB 754
28 minutes ago, TommyB 754 said:

Just pretend that 250f reply isn't there. You're on the right path to tons of fun. 

Jbone motorworks is another popular motor build tuner or you could always go with a big name like pro circuit, Mitch Payton still personally does most the 2t port work and we all know they can build a fast 125. 

Ya he will when he's getting pulled on starts and up hills :thumbsup: lol

The 125 won't be strictly a track bike, my family owns a 265 acre farm, lots of trail riding, smaller track on the property, etc. I just have more fun on a 2T, I'm not competing to turn pro lol, just something I want to get back into as an adult as the funding allows for a nice setup. 

On another note, I can't thank you guys enough for the recommendations. I'll have plenty of time to go through and talk to a few builders and have it tuned for spring. 

20 minutes ago, RSA199 said:

The 125 won't be strictly a track bike, my family owns a 265 acre farm, lots of trail riding, smaller track on the property, etc. I just have more fun on a 2T, I'm not competing to turn pro lol, just something I want to get back into as an adult as the funding allows for a nice setup. 

On another note, I can't thank you guys enough for the recommendations. I'll have plenty of time to go through and talk to a few builders and have it tuned for spring. 

Perfect bike then :thumbsup: but way waste all that money to gain 3hp then lose the longevity of stock. Those things run good stock. Just saying 

6 hours ago, RSA199 said:

i wolde just go with te\tx 300/250 then  

the e start helps a lot and the extra torque is great allso this wat you are going to use it for you might just find the  any of the 125 tc\te\tx to be up to the task

without mod's you will have a much moor useable bike i would check out the tx125 it might suit you better 

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 8:40 PM, RSA199 said:

After a long overdue hiatus from MX, (when pros still rode 250-2's) I've decided to pull the trigger on a TC 125. I have my mind made up as far as the pipe combo/reeds, as well as a few other bolt-on's. My main question is, who's top notch in porting/polishing these days? Harris Performance (out of Texas) keeps catching my eye, has anyone rode/seen their work? They're pretty pricey but I'm willing to spend the cash on upper echelon work. Thanks for any/all help! 

(144 kits are out of the question, I can't race against 250F's at the local track with a big bore kit.)

I don't know why an old guy would want a 125, that's too much work.  and im an old guy

sure if just running very tight single track its usable, but anywhere else, you're expending energy to make it go, that an old guy cant afford to shell out.

Well I'm 30, but I'm in great shape (minus knee, ankle and back injuries, they require ice and Advil) but I still "got it" in my opinion. I weight train and keep my cardio up. I can run a mile in about 6:30 and regularly run 5-7k distances. So I think I'm more than capable of handling a 2 stroke. When I feel like I physically cant hold my own on 2 stroke I'll trade it in. 

still doesn't make sense to buy a 125 thay are almost exclusively meant to be ridden in  mid to high speeds 30-80kmh and are bad at finding grip

allso end up costing moore on upkeep than the 250/300 bikes not to mention 4t thy are exiting in the beginning but start to become annoying after awhile

this is way i have a te300 and tc105

On 8/27/2017 at 6:58 AM, RSA199 said:

Well I'm 30, but I'm in great shape (minus knee, ankle and back injuries, they require ice and Advil) but I still "got it" in my opinion. I weight train and keep my cardio up. I can run a mile in about 6:30 and regularly run 5-7k distances. So I think I'm more than capable of handling a 2 stroke. When I feel like I physically cant hold my own on 2 stroke I'll trade it in. 

I'm your age and can tell you will love the TC125, they run very strong. Probably one of the most fun bikes ever made, and it should fit the bill perfectly. You should be able to find a leftover and get it home for a great price. Anyone who is suggesting a 300, especially one with a wide ratio transmission should be ignored lol 

Did you decide who's going to built the motor? The VHM heads are a nice choice if you don't want to have any down time, bolt on and go. 

Edited by TommyB 754

I looked at a few different heads, haven't picked an exact head out yet but it's narrowed to 3, pipe, reeds, clutch, and some smaller miscellaneous parts have all been settled on. I think I'm going to go the bolt-on route when I first get the bike until it's ready for a fresh-up. When the time comes I'm going to get ahold of Terry Varner, if for some reason Varner is heavily back logged it'll go to Harris Performance. Can't wait for March I'll tell you that. Already got a bulk of my gear, and quite a few tri-axles of dirt dumped on the property. Now I just have to find the time to push it around and get creative.  

I had Terry Varner do some work on a 02 Yamaha WR250f and that bike was insane. I would like hear how it goes if you use him again. Getting me thinking about his work again.